Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hybrid disk VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hybrid disk VPS

jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

How interesting is for you to have a hybrid disk VPS, like this:

1 vCore

2 GB RAM

10 GB SSD

50 GB HDD

Interested?
  1. Are you interested?35 votes
    1. No
      37.14%
    2. Yes, a bit
      45.71%
    3. I'm really interested!!!
      17.14%

Comments

• WHTWHT Member

Huh and hows that possible?

• Virtual disks?

• Kvm, yes, would be Premium for those who know what they're doing.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

I just prefer to have the choice between SSD or HDD, not really interested in this mixed setup for a VPS.

I understand the current trend towards SSDs, but many times just want some cheap storage and I can't even choose that!

• @Nyr said:
    I just prefer to have the choice between SSD or HDD, not really interested in this mixed setup for a VPS.

I understand the current trend towards SSDs, but many times just want some cheap storage and I can't even choose that!

Well for our dedicated cloud offerings (fully dedicated E3 cores, albeit more expensive than LET price points) we offer 50GB SSD Raid 1 for the main storage, and an additional 50GB of SAS space as an additional virtual drive that can be mounted where you want. The idea is that you can mount it to /backup or something similar.

I'm sure something like this could come in handy (it's like "free" local backups as you don't have to use valuable ssd space for it)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Jonchun said: The idea is that you can mount it to /backup or something similar.

I guess that can have its public, just not me. I'd just do backups externally, since 50GB can be transferred in a matter of minutes when needed.

• MadMad Member

I suppose it's an additional drive mounted to the VPS.

• I think this feature is good for capacity planning IOPS without spending a bomb on full-SSD.

You could deploy a software proxy cache on the SSD or mount your DB there.

The real value is in letting customers provision as much as they NEED.

iwstack and lunanode have these options right now, in the affordable market.