Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHT offer [Dell F1D - 2x2.33 L5140/8GB/2X146GBSAS/5TB on Gig - $45/Month] Thoughts?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WHT offer [Dell F1D - 2x2.33 L5140/8GB/2X146GBSAS/5TB on Gig - $45/Month] Thoughts?

EpidriveEpidrive Member
edited February 2013 in General

Dell F1D $45.00/month
2 x Xeon 2.33 Ghz Dual Core Processors - 8GB RAM - 2 X 146GB SAS Drives
Gigabit Port
5 TB monthly transfer.
1 Free IP
IPMI/DRAC upgrade option
Free Lantronix IP KVM loan on request
NO LOCK IN - Month-to-Month Contract - Cancel anytime
Rent To Own - Pay for 12 months and the server is yours, continue colo or take the server.
Hardware replacement including disk is free during the rental period.
Remote Reboot
Automated OS Installs
Bandwidth Graph
UNMANAGED

Saw this here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1238246

So basically, its what you call rent to own.
Thoughts?

Comments

• NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited February 2013

Never heard of Dacentec?

Server looks decent, but be warned that people are saying the disk I/O is junk on this server. Also there is complaints about poor routing and slow network speeds. Other than that...they are are a good company.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Search for recent dacentec discussions here. The drives they're putting in those things are just...bad. Don't get me wrong, I love those guys, but I'll call it what it is.

• I mean, what do you expect for that price point on a dedicated. Aging hardware from the ebay pile. It's got some serious miles on it and it may run for many more but it's going to be hit or miss

@RyanD Nah, these servers are so cheap that you can put decent drives in them. I mean this thing is worth what...$300 on eBay? It's hard not to make a profit on that at low cost.

• I just liked the fact that its rent to own :D

• RyanDRyanD Member
    edited February 2013

@Jarland just because it costs $300 on ebay does not mean it does not have substantial operating costs. Even in a VERY low priced facility like dacentec you still have power cost and that server has a 130w tdp on the CPU(s) alone and uses FB-DIMMs so it likely has an average draw of 1.5A @ 120v which probably puts operations costs at somewhere in the $25-30/month range. Take out cc processing % and with that alone you only have maybe $12 of margin in the server without taking into account any other costs of overhead...... so yeah, it's hard to make a profit ;)

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

You can buy these Dell F1D for $79 on ebay and I'm sure Dacentec buys these in qty so they probably get them even cheaper..

Electricity wise 1.5a @ 120v = 180 watts
    180W = 0.18kW x 24h = 4.32kWh
    I think Lenoir it's about $0.08 per kilowatt hour 4.32kWh x $0.08 =$0.3456 per day
    35 cents for 30 days = $10.5 p/month

Forgot to mention 180 Watts is probably at peak loads, on idle it would probably consume less electricity..

• 5100 series is pretty hungry even at idle. You also need to take into account the cost to cool that 180w the rack space, transit, taxes, staffing, etc etc. Yes, you can make thousands and thousands of cents. If a cusomer so much as opens a single ticket you likely lost all margin for the month :)

• dacentecdacentec Member, Host Rep

@ryanD @jarland We also noticed the poor performance out of the 80GB drives we were offering in the Dell servers. We have since removed them from the offer and are now offering them with a 2x146GB SAS drives and have not had any complaints from customers on the SAS drives.

• MitchellMitchell Member
    edited February 2013

@dacentec

Hi there, nice to see a DC visit and talk to the crowd directly :-)

• dacentecdacentec Member, Host Rep

@mitchell Thank you we enjoy the forums and view them as learning tools to see the areas that we can improve on. A company that doesn't listen to it's customers has no chance for success. ;-)

@dacentec said: We also noticed the poor performance out of the 80GB drives we were offering in the Dell servers. We have since removed them from the offer and are now offering them with a 2x146GB SAS drives and have not had any complaints from customers on the SAS drives.

Live and learn. The 1TB drives you put in ours are still working beautifully.

• @Dacentec is a good company that actually cares about the customers and tries to provide a good deal too. I have a machine with them (one of the HP SE1101 servers) and it does the job and when I needed support they were quick and helpful.

The fact they were willing to remove the 80gig drives from circulation shows they do care about how happy you are with the server you get.