Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Im planing to move from Reseller to Dedicated but i'm afraid.. please help
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Im planing to move from Reseller to Dedicated but i'm afraid.. please help

Hi comuninty, my name is Enjade, and i would like to ask from the bottom of my hearth the following... Currently i have 2 reseller account from 2 providers.. 1 at hostgator and 1 with site5.. for this 2 accounts im paying about 80 dlls per month.. and im would like to move to Dedicated server.. im talking about 200cpanel accounts at all.. can you please recommend me some provider, i found that ovh.com offers a dedicated from $69.00 but i don't knoe them, im been working with HG and Site5 for over 7 years, and im looking for a better option... i appreciate i someone helpme as the best way to get a good provider... Im Completely Conscious that "Im a little Gold Fish, swimming in a pool filled with big Sharks" .. because im not so techy as you guys.. Thanks!

Comments

• dailydaily Member
    edited April 2016

If you aren't comfortable, you should hire someone who can guide you or stay where you are comfortable. OVH is a reputable provider, though.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited April 2016

Step 1 - Buy a dedi from https://www.delimiter.com/ @mikeyur @MarkTurner

Step 2 - Set up VMWare ESXi / Proxmox so that you can use a cPanel VPS license that costs half the price of a cPanel dedicated server license.

Step 3 - Buy a cPanel VPS license from https://www.buycpanel.com/ They will install it for you. @BuyCPanel_Kevin

Step 4- Create WHM backups of your reseller accounts, FTP them over to your new server, import them via WHM and get it over with.

• adxnadxn Member, Host Rep

@K4Y5 said:
    Step 1 - Buy a dedi from https://www.delimiter.com/ mikeyur MarkTurner

Step 2 - Set up VMWare ESXi / Proxmox so that you can use a cPanel VPS license that costs half the price of a cPanel dedicated server license.

Step 3 - Buy a cPanel VPS license from https://www.buycpanel.com/ They will install it for you. BuyCPanel_Kevin

Step 4- Create WHM backups of your reseller accounts, FTP them over to your new server, import them via WHM and get it over with.

@Enjades you got your answer there! just go for a dedi!

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited April 2016

Don;t buy yet a dedicated server to move your cpanel accounts there. You are not ready. It is a completely other task to manage a server and install/maintenance/configure all the elements (good knowledge of using linux terminal, webserver, database, postfix, cpanel, hardening the node etc.) than just be an end user of a WHM/Cpanel as a reseller. Believe me, you will regret such a move.
    If you want to reduce costs and manage your infrastructure, spend time (and some money...) to learn first. Buy a cheap dedicated server, learn how to use it, install free panels and do a setup to find how to manage issues. When you learn that, buy a cpanel license and move there one non-critical web site to learn more. Move your live sites/clients to a dedi only when you're ready. Or, rent a managed server, but this will cost you much more than 80$...
    Now, OVH is one of the biggest providers out there. Very reliable infrastructure, worth the bucks for the specs.
    Delimiter is a budget provider, really smaller as company than OVH. But, again, you should know wnat specs do you need: What Raid? HDD/SSD? Network port? Where is your target group? US or Europe?

You should also think of buying a managed vps instead. For 50-60$ per month, you could find a reliable company that offers a 4GB Ram ssh vps with access to 4 cores, including the cost of the CPanel license. They will install all elements and harden your server for you, having definitely more resources than the reseller account in HG and other similar companies.

PS. In any plan you chose, have a spear server for BACKUPS! It is your #1 priority.
    And in your price calculating, do not forget that installing cpanel in a dedi can cost ~35$ alone...

Thanked by 1Saahib
  • First of all please be aware that managing a dedicated server is not easy as managing reseller account. There can be many day to day issues which you will need to attend promptly.. if you don't have enough experience in managing all these matters and time for this.. I suggest to go either with multiple reseller plans or a managed dedicated server.. which will definitely go above the mentioned amount..

Also it is better not to put all websites on one server to avoid the frustration and calls from all clients in case of any server related issue..

• JacobJacob Member

And in the event of a raid failure, or even worse a complete FS corruption (lets assume fsck doesn't and can't fix it) - what is he supposed to do?

@enjades I recommend seeking either a Cloud provider and hosting this on a virtualised platform, or speaking with HostGator to see what upgrade options you have.

Generally, if you're wanting priority support for your business you have to venture away from these big multi million pound companies.

There's also the fact of that smaller companies will assist with the migration of your customer websites without additional charges in most cases and most importantly be there when you need them.

@K4Y5 said:

Step 3 - Buy a cPanel VPS license from https://www.buycpanel.com/ They will install it for you. BuyCPanel_Kevin

• Keep in mind that when you go for a dedicated server, you have to pay a lot for just a cPanel license. At least $35/mo for just a license.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited April 2016

@Jacob said:
    And in the event of a raid failure, or even worse a complete FS corruption (lets assume fsck doesn't and can't fix it) - what is he supposed to do?

enjades I recommend seeking either a Cloud provider and hosting this on a virtualised platform, or speaking with HostGator to see what upgrade options you have.

Generally, if you're wanting priority support for your business you have to venture away from these big multi million pound companies.

There's also the fact of that smaller companies will assist with the migration of your customer websites without additional charges in most cases and most importantly be there when you need them.

Backing everything up = no brainer. His clients should do that, and he should do that twice! Now, it is up to him to download the generated backup every time, or invest in a robust off-site R1Soft like back-up solution.

In case the OP doesn't mind spending more, there is always the option of managed services like https://www.wiredtree.com/ (They throw in a cpanel license and take care of everything)

But, something tells me the OP wouldn't be here if that were an option. (OP's hashtags were a dead giveaway)

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited April 2016

K4Y5 said: Backing everything up = no brainer. His clients should do that, and he should do that twice! Now, it is up to him to download the generated backup every time, or invest in a robust off-site R1Soft like back-up solution.

Really? In shared hosting, all the reputable hosters do have backups, some of them, for days. It is not an unmanaged service like vps or dedi that the end user is responsible for their backups. Shared hosting is a managed hosting solution. A shared hoster that has absolutely no backup policy, is just a kiddie/summer hoster.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited April 2016

jvnadr said: Really? In shared hosting, all the reputable hosters do have backups, some of them, for days. It is not an unmanaged service like vps or dedi that the end user is responsible for their backups. Shared hosting is a managed hosting solution. A shared hoster that has absolutely no backup policy, is just a kiddie/summer hoster.

You really are naive if you expect anyone to absolutely guarantee 100% safety of your data. Any reasonable individual who values his data, no matter how many redundancies his hosting provider puts in place, should at-least maintain a copy of data for himself as he sees fit for no other reason but to have something to fall back upon, should the proverbial shit ever hit the fan.

Companies suffer catastrophic data loss - SAN, RAID failure, Hacks etc. You cannot go crying to them, after losing all your data, about the fact that they promised to back your data up but didn't do it well enough.

You can lawyer up, take the providers to court or even become a part of a class action law suit (lol) if the reputable provider is big enough, and the lawyers feel they can milk 'em enough. But the fact remains that you will probably not see a bit of that valuable data of yours again, and no amount of money or service extension will make you feel good about anything ever again.

PS: 'You' doesn't really mean 'YOU'. I am merely making a generalized point here, and 'You' would refer to the person reading this post.

PPS: @jvnadr if you read my post that you quoted earlier, you'll see that I suggested that the provider back the data up twice, and the clients back their data up as well. So..

• Would assume that the next step up from shared hosting is to get a VPS, possibly from someone who will help you with the basic cPanel setup and management.
    When I first started, I got a VPS from NDC Host (https://www.ndchost.com/), and they were very helpful with setting up cPanel and helping me with the basic management, until I picked everything up on my own.
    Their pricing seems to have changed somewhat (I think I paid much more, though they had less options), but I was very happy with their service.
    I'm sure there are other good options out there as well, just posting about my experience...

• Thanks to everybody.. mow im clear that i need to go for a managed VPS meanwhile i learn how to deal with issues and get more experience.. have a nice day to all..

• K4Y5 said: ou really are naive if you expect anyone to absolutely guarantee 100% safety of your data.

There is no such a thing as guarantee, but, every provider offers sharing hosting must have backups, even if his infrastructure has a potential fail point. It is another thing to have both node and backup fail in the same time and have a failure to your main node.
    And, yes, you suggested the provider to do backups, but you also said that "Backing everything up = no brainer"

• @K4Y5 said:

Dude, are you trying to a free server, a job or just plain brownie points from delimiter?

Every other post of yours has some reference to delimiter.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

OP, you don't want a dedicated server...you want a quality managed hosting account.

I'd go with WiredTree or KnownHost. They manage the VPS, you manage the WHM. WT is awesome.

• @raindog308 said:
    OP, you don't want a dedicated server...you want a quality managed hosting account.

I'd go with WiredTree or KnownHost. They manage the VPS, you manage the WHM. WT is awesome.

Should add Bigscoots to that list as well.

• MissFortuneMissFortune Member
    edited April 2016

Or check out turnkeyinternet.net for their vps reseller. It acts as if you are a reseller, but on a vps having more access like ssh and etc. But completely managed. 69usd per month though. Free whmcs, cpanel/whm license, softaculous, and other stuffs.

6 cores, 6gb ram
    4 dedicated ip addresses.
    unli ipv6 / 1per cpanel account

• @Enjades said:
    Hi comuninty, my name is Enjade, and i would like to ask from the bottom of my hearth the following... Currently i have 2 reseller account from 2 providers.. 1 at hostgator and 1 with site5.. for this 2 accounts im paying about 80 dlls per month.. and im would like to move to Dedicated server.. im talking about 200cpanel accounts at all.. can you please recommend me some provider, i found that ovh.com offers a dedicated from $69.00 but i don't knoe them, im been working with HG and Site5 for over 7 years, and im looking for a better option... i appreciate i someone helpme as the best way to get a good provider... Im Completely Conscious that "Im a little Gold Fish, swimming in a pool filled with big Sharks" .. because im not so techy as you guys.. Thanks!

I'm surprised that noone asked you this: What's your motivation for moving to a dedicated server setup?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Junkless said:
    Should add Bigscoots to that list as well.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about them since I don't read WHT much...how are they?

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

WIREDTREE

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

Do you see any other company leasing out reasonably priced production grade hardware, decent network and active participation over here? Because I certainly don't.

And No, I don't need a free server as I am pretty capable of paying for any services that I feel that I need (and even ones that I don't really need, but still end up buying :/ )

As for brownie points from people on the Internet which doesn't translate to anything meaningful or tangible in any way in what I do in my life, I try not to make it the center piece of my participation in an online forum, or waste too much time thinking what my honest opinions on the said forum get perceived as.

• edited April 2016

@K4Y5

Well if "active participation" is a requirement for your list then, yes they stand alone.

Outside of that I can think of:

dacentec.com

quickpacket.com

wholesaleinternet.net

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited April 2016

@globalRegisters Yes, I know about the others. But, as of this moment, I have only tried services from 2 companies from the ones that you have mentioned - Delimiter and Dacentec (Who I just rented a storage server from, last night.)

So, that obviously means that I can't recommend the ones that I haven't even tried yet, or have interacted with any of their staff members.

Full Disclosure: Most of my production servers and services are with Leaseweb and AWS. I have a couple of servers each with OVH and Hetzner that I use for personal non-critical services and backups mostly. I do have a bunch of LEBs but they end up hosting tertiary services and back-ups, experimental stuff, VPN, DDoS protected reverse proxy or just sitting idle till I figure out a use for them. Not to mention the fact that I like hoarding IPs too :P

• @raindog308 said:

They are doing good from what I hear on WHT and from the clients I have sent to them in the past.

• elgselgs Member

@K4Y5 said:

Why the cpanel price is cheaper here than the official website?

• cociucociu Member

elgs said: Why the cpanel price is cheaper here than the official website?

30%+ OFF
    Special Partner Discount

http://cpanel.com/pricing/

for exemple

• elgselgs Member

@cociu said:

So there's no reason to buy from official website, is it right?

• cociucociu Member

the license is the same , the price is different .... so ..

• cociucociu Member

http://www.hostdime.com/services/cpanel-licenses/ $33.95/mo . I pay 28$ (got a recurring discount)

• elgs said: So there's no reason to buy from official website, is it right?

You'll get support from cPanel directly.