Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

4 Core CPU for 30 OpenVZ CT?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

4 Core CPU for 30 OpenVZ CT?

ReviewLinuxReviewLinux Member
edited February 2013 in General

Excuse my ignorance in advance. Looking at getting a dedicated server to run 30 OpenVZ VPS CT's. Drive space not an issue but most CT's will be either 256 MB or 512 MB. The CPU is a i5 3570 which I know is probably more of a desktop CPU as I have one sitting in my Linux Home Server now. In my home testing I have setup just 10 CT all with different OS's but being behind a firewall not much more to do but install various CMS and so on. My question is, this CPU being only 4 cores and allocating 1 vCPU for lower RAM plan up to possibly 4 out of 30 have 4 vCPU will this i5 3570 be able to keep up with it? Node will not be overcommitted and CT usage will vary. Thats about all I know without buying and testing live and then post this question with answer. Thanks again in advance

Comments

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited February 2013

We use i5-3550 for our OpenVZ range and they are excellent:

Load Average: 0.41 0.46 0.39
    Operating System: CentOS release 6.3 (Final)
    Kernel: 2.6.32-042stab072.10
    Virtual Servers: 32

Hope this gives you a "real life" idea of how these CPU's work in these environments. If you need anything else, just let me know :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2013

You would do better with a CPU with HT, however, it will work.
    Giving 4 Cores to one VM is not a good idea tho, it may go haywire and hammer all 4 which will make the machine unresponsive. If you have to give 4, lower priority in the VM for it.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2013

It's all about capacity. Should work fine. For what it sounds like you're doing I'd rather see you use virtual hosts as OpenVZ isn't very powerful resource isolation. Not much to gain.