Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Disadvantage to Using Cheap Dedi in the EU to Host a Site Targeted to US Market?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any Disadvantage to Using Cheap Dedi in the EU to Host a Site Targeted to US Market?

In terms of Google rankings for a site and search terms (SEO), is there any disadvantage to hosting a site on a dedi from a cheap European provider if your target audience is in the US? I can see the response time being slower, so Google may penalize you for that, but beyond that, does anyone know?. As LET is the font of all hosting wisdom ;-), I am guessing members here know the answer here as they have likely tried it or a currently doing it.

Comments

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

Use Cloudflare and google will see your site IP as US based.

Thanked by 1MTUser2012
  • TionTion Member

Google doesn't care where the website is hosted as long as the website loads quickly and is written in a language used by your target audience.

Thanked by 1MTUser2012
  • Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

While it might not affect SEO I don't see why you would host in europe if your target is the US. Website speed is one of the main reasons people leave a web page and hosting in the EU would increase the response time.

• Not really, especially if using a gTLD.

Indirectly, your rankings are affected by user interaction and feedback... I doubt many would notice the extra milliseconds of time taken to serve content to result in negative user experience. Google does give a very slight preference to fast loading sites, though ultimately they're scoring things based on how a user would.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited April 2016

@Awmusic12635 said:
    While it might not affect SEO I don't see why you would host in europe if your target is the US. Website speed is one of the main reasons people leave a web page and hosting in the EU would increase the response time.

As an European, I visit plenty of sites hosted in the US and I simply can't tell as long as they are hosted in decent networks.

US<>EU connectivity is thankfully pretty good.

Thanked by 2MTUser2012 asf
  • Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2016

Nyr said: As an European, I visit plenty of sites hosted in the US and I simply can't tell if they are hosted in decent networks.

US<>EU connectivity is thankfully pretty good.

For the most part I would agree, though sometimes it really hits the bed, in my experience.

• stabstab Member

Do you really need a dedi? For the same price you could probably get a pretty good VPS stateside.

• GBVPSGBVPS Member

that not recommended
    it seem google make the ping as important and from Eu u will lose in the Page Load time competiton for the us traffic