Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BurstNet 6months Review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BurstNet 6months Review

epaslvepaslv Member
edited February 2013 in General

We have several VPS with these guys both XEN and OpenVZ. They are priced very well but we often have our VPS down.

Dealing with support makes me nervous to say the least.

Lately the response times just to answer tickets is approx 4hours. On some occasions its 12hours. Quality of support is poor. It usually starts off by requesting you send traceroutes and pings from 3 locations or more as you must provide evidence that there is a problem.

I use Pingdom and Monitis for monitoring, so I send them the results, a typical response is "I can ping your VPS and it is working", sort of suggesting there was nothing wrong with it. When you ask for more information about what the problem may be, you start getting responses with attitude thrown in for free. They might as well say its working now piss off !

I find the support experience very unpleasant. I think their support staff get a kick out of knowing they have full control and the upper hand of your VPS and making you wait hours just to acknowledge a problem.

They also close tickets when they feel the problem is resolved, not by making sure with you the customer the problem is resolved.

The performance of the VPS is very average to below average. We got a XEN VPS as we were advised that it performs much better than their OpenVZ products. Disk IO wait typically idles at 15-30% 80% of the time and is greater than 70%, 20% of the time.

Unfortunately, we signed up for 12months on our VPS's and there are no provisions to get your money back.
I believe their marketing grossly over states the performance of their VPS and Network. In the last 6 months each VPS has experienced over 48 hours outage so uptime is less than 99% and much less than their 99.999% target and 99.5% guarantee.

They are not the World Leader and there much better smaller providers out there that offer much more reliable VPS's and superior support, Ramnode, BuyVM and SecureDragon to name three.

Enough said.

Comments

• Same experience we had, the VPS would be down for a few hours and by the time they responded it would be online and they would just say "I cant see any issues".

That's the point where you just think F it and cancel.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

I had vps with them, no more as I don't need it.
    Ironically their openVZ VPS diskIO was around 400mbs to 600mbps .. similar to SSD but it was not SSD or may be their all server are SSD now ?

Support was OK for me, based of time of day, sometimes response was in minute and sometimes in hour or so..

• I have great time with them...not much problems, downtimes are still acceptable....but,due to my conditions for this months(got financial difficulties) and they are not allowed me to postpone this months' payment,all my servers with them are dying one by one....and it's been a year with them since Hostrail become hostfail...

• I agree. Performance has decreased during the last months. My main problem is they are overselling memory and disk I/O. That said, my two VPS have been working quite well before. And last year, there was 2 IPv4 per VPS and a 20% discount, making the offer quite attractive. However, today, you can find better somewhere else for the same price.

• jhjh Member

Burst do generally mean well but they're horrendously understaffed. Also for those buying in the uk, last time I saw their cage it was every last u was full, so that begs the question of how they're servicing demand..

• @jhadley not sure if you have visited the DC before or after I had. Which was like last september.

When I asked Nick, they had around 350 servers last time I was there vs 2 part time techs.

VPS Related is handled by the US Staff, you should be happy with 4 hours response time, I know some tickets I had I was waiting two days, and James has probably experienced this aswell.

• @Jacob said: VPS Related is handled by the US Staff, you should be happy with 4 hours response time, I know some tickets I had I was waiting two days, and James has probably experienced this aswell.

Yes,four hours quite fast according to burst standard:) My first vps was with burst.I know how their support sucks.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Looks like this was posted at WHT as well

• @Nick_A said: Looks like this was posted at WHT as well

Possible.If someone really hates you,they will post you in multiple websites.I have seen it many times before

• When I asked Nick, they had around 350 servers last time I was there vs 2 part time techs.

VPS Related is handled by the US Staff, you should be happy with 4 hours response time, I know some tickets I had I was waiting two days, and James has probably experienced this

Which is all really funny since I believe you are referring to Burst's UK offerings and gear.

All the work done by folks in the US, but they continue to bill customers in UK currency.

OPs experience was exactly my experience with Burst in the UK.

• BurstNET VPSes in UK are probably better than US. British techs that I have dealt with aren't as laid back and lazy as amuricans.

• Yes that was me posting on WHT, these two are my favorite boards.

I don't hate them, just my experience with them has gone down hill.

I never had any serious issues on their end except when the fiber went down and I lost my Miami VPS for a day or so. That's about when I moved elsewhere.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Nick_A said: That's about when I moved elsewhere.

Each time I see these threads I say thank god they didnt accept me as customer :)

• SPSP Member

My first VPS experience was through them. Uptime was good, so I moved to a "premium" VPS and it all went to hell. Would get alerts at all times of the day with the server not responding, and when I would try and get in to check it out the panel wouldn't work either. Ended up moving to EOReality and they are pretty good. Bought an SSD node from RamNode today and I am loving it so far.

@Sperryman said: Bought an SSD node from RamNode today and I am loving it so far.

:)

Yeah all I remember other than the fiber outage was constantly getting "slave connection error" messages from the VPS (it was a solusvm master for another project) when in fact the slaves were online and running fine.

• I pretty much use the top 5 providers as per this thread http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/190366#Comment_190366

Everyone suffers outages and problems, but the way these guys handle the issues are miles ahead of Burst.

It was just a bad choice for me, when there are so many better options

• DamianDamian Member
    edited February 2013

The entire reason that we started doing VPS is because of Burst's terrible VPS.

Selling VPS and not sucking at it: not that hard.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2013

@Damian said: Selling VPS and not sucking at it: not that hard.

Too hard for burst, i presume.
    One thing I did notice there is the large number of abusers and spammers that happen to end up in their network, no matter how many blood samples are they asking to validate you.
    I can understand them being so afraid, however by now should have seen it is not working, doing the same and expecting different results is madness.
    Something must change, and this is not policing. If you offer a good service people will not treat you as supplier of cheap throw away IPs.
    Offering bad cheap service with many IPs is just screaming for trouble, no matter how many fake utility bills you ask from your customers.

• I have a VPS with them for almost a year. It wouldn't be that bad if it weren't for the really bad disk IO waits. Network is pretty decent. I've seen worse support. But it's the disk IO waits which suck beyond comprehension.

• renireni Member
    edited October 2013

I am pretty happy with them

• GienGien Member
    edited October 2013

I did have 3 vps's with them.. but after i found this forum i switched to other known hosts in the us. I only have an uk vps with them which soul purpose is to be an bnc. Network isnt that bad, disk i/o doesnt really count for me as there just 3-5 processes running, max 15mb.. but connection hickups are very common.. so dont know if ill be renewing it.. paid for a year... There probably allot of better deals out there..

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

same here

their vps services really sucks

but the dedi or colo are superb