Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can a EU citizen buy on OVH US?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can a EU citizen buy on OVH US?

I'm asking because I was going to order a server but I stopper before making a new account to proceed with the order (I guess US website needs a different account).

Comments

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited April 2016

If you already have an account, location's an option during order, need not register a new one.

• KoPoLoZKoPoLoZ Member
    edited April 2016

Open an account on Usa ovh, you can buy both us and fr servers with this account and you dont have to pay VAT . Client ids are different on ovh US and ovh FR .

• RizRiz Member
    edited April 2016

@KoPoLoZ said:
    Open an account on Usa ovh, you can buy both us and fr servers with this account and you dont have to pay VAT .

This is not completely correct. If they decide to ask for any proof during validation, you'll need to provide something from the US.

• KoPoLoZKoPoLoZ Member
    edited April 2016

I am from Turkey and I sent my ID and billing proof to ovh US. Validation takes 24 hours. It doesnt matter if you dont live in US or to be an US citizen.

@Riz said:
    This is not completely correct. If they decide to ask for any proof during validation, you'll need to provide something from the US.

Thanked by 1meti
  • RizRiz Member

Weird, back when the EU line was much more affordable than US I submitted an order in and was directed to the US site.

• If you already have ovh US account , you can buy FR server without paying VAT. I bougth both FR and US servers with my US account. You can select server location while purchase.

@Riz said:
    Weird, back when the EU line was much more affordable than US I submitted an order in and was directed to the US site.
    @Riz said:
    Weird, back when the EU line was much more affordable than US I submitted an order in and was directed to the US site.************

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2016

Erm, Turkey isn't part of European Union anyways so @KoPoLoZ won't have to pay VAT to OVH regardless. Or am I not thinking right and you guys are?

• KoPoLoZKoPoLoZ Member
    edited April 2016

At the begin I tried to buy it from ovh FR and it showed VAT to me, too. So I decided to bought it from ovh US without VAT. Just try to purchase both fr and us sites, you will see this. There is no VAT on ovh US, because VAT is for EU countries and companies.

@EVM_Mike said:
    Erm, Turkey isn't part of European Union anyways so KoPoLoZ won't have to pay VAT to OVH regardless. Or am I not thinking right and you guys are?

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@KoPoLoZ said:
    At the begin I tried to buy it from ovh FR and it showed VAT to me, too. So I decided to bought it from ovh US without VAT. Just try to purchase both fr and us sites, you will see this. There is no VAT on ovh US, because VAT is for EU countries and companies.

If you provide them a proof you are from Turkey, they would remove VAT from OVH EU site for you too.

• KoPoLoZKoPoLoZ Member
    edited April 2016

@exception0x876 said:
    If you provide them a proof you are from Turkey, they would remove VAT from OVH EU site for you too.

Easy way is just use ovh US. Also if you have EU citizenship and dont want to pay VAT, just use ovh US. It is simple.

• Thank you for the explanations. It was a matter of servers, too (I did notice a soyoustart that I have never seen on ovh.it)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

KoPoLoZ said: If you already have ovh US account , you can buy FR server without paying VAT. I bougth both FR and US servers with my US account. You can select server location while purchase.

Which is called tax fraud.

• there's no OVH USA, they have an english website with an american flag for the north american market, but in Northern America they are a canadian company with headquarters in Montréal, and datacenter in Beauharnois, outside Montréal.
    Canadian datacenter is in canadian jurisdiction, the main office of OVH in France and their datacenters are in french jurisdiction.
    Whatever, if you are outside EU, you don't have to pay VAT.

• @Clouvider said:

I'm quite sure it is not a fraud in case a private is willing to buy from OVH CA/US a server which OVH doesn't sell on EU website. In general, I presume that a private can buy whatever and wherever he wants. But I'm not sure that is not a fraud (by OVH) selling to EU citizens without VAT, if they have (and of course, they do) EU offices. But, as I can see, they do sell worldwide through non EU website.

• @Geekoine said:

Under EU VAT MOSS they should be charging EU citizens VAT, I'm fairly certain that EU citizens are meant to order from the OVH website which corresponds to their country of residence, or OVH IE (which is international, I believe).

If you can order through OVH US websites then you should be charged VAT as far as i'm aware.

• @WSCallum said:

It will be ok, as far as I can buy from OVH US

• NO you cant. Every EU citizen should pay VAT. You may pass it for some time but you are risking your service.

• I can't what? I didn't say I don't want to pay VAT!

• WHMAMP_COMWHMAMP_COM Member
    edited April 2016

@Geekoine said:
    I can't what? I didn't say I don't want to pay VAT!

I just answered to the one who said you do not pay VAT. Sure you can order if you dont get redirected.

Thanked by 1Geekoine
  • @WHMAMP_COM said:
    I just answered to the one who said you do not pay VAT. Sure you can order if you dont get redirected.

Problem is: I will give up, if there is any possibility that they forget about VAT and then I will risk my service, as you said (I wanted to order a SYS that I don't find on EU/IT websites, anyway it is out of stock on US website, too).

Thank you for the clarification.

@Geekoine said:
    I wanted to order a SYS that I don't find on EU/IT websites, anyway it is out of stock on US website, too

I bet you are talking about E3-SSD-4, it is hidden on EU website and shows up only when it is in stock.

Thanked by 1Geekoine
  • @exception0x876 said:
    I bet you are talking about E3-SSD-4, it is hidden on EU website and shows up only when it is in stock.

You bet, you win:-) So, i will find it on EU website when it will be available?

@Geekoine said:
    So, i will find it on EU website when it will be available?

Yes, I ordered a few from EU website.

• Thank you. I will wait for them to show up.

• @Clouvider said:

This is not fraud, this is inhibition of double taxation.
    I am 47 years old and I am selling goodies since 1999 on internet. Ask it to your accountant and also check this
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_taxation
    ovh us is part of ovh but another company and dont belong to EU laws and taxes.

• @abravo said:
    there's no OVH USA, they have an english website with an american flag for the north american market, but in Northern America they are a canadian company with headquarters in Montréal, and datacenter in Beauharnois, outside Montréal.
    Canadian datacenter is in canadian jurisdiction, the main office of OVH in France and their datacenters are in french jurisdiction.
    Whatever, if you are outside EU, you don't have to pay VAT.

If you buy anything outside EU, you don't have to pat VAT

• KoPoLoZKoPoLoZ Member
    edited April 2016

@Geekoine said:

Just check this or ask your accountant if he is really proffessional
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_taxation

Just another example ;
    If you have adsense income, you dont have to pay tax for this to your country. Because google send your payment from UK and paying tax to UK. If you pay tax to your country you can get it back with " taxation agreements of countries"
    It is very simple, I won judgement with this agreement. :)

• @KoPoLoZ said:

In fact, I asked when I was a Runabove customer, because I wanted to pay VAT:-) They told me I couldn't (because Runabove was part of OVH CA)

• KoPoLoZKoPoLoZ Member
    edited April 2016

@KoPoLoZ said:

Just ,too many accountants and lawyers also noone don't know about what is " double taxation agreement wtih countries"
    If you know, you win.
    CA cdoesn't belong to VAT :)