Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Romania, not "offshore" nor "infringing paradise"
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Romania, not "offshore" nor "infringing paradise"

MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I am sorry for this rant, but i've had it.

First, shame on you who advertised Romania as "no DMCA zone". While, yeah, DMCA does not apply in EU, your advertising made it look like hosting infringing content here is okay, or, at least, nobody will bother to check.
Guess what, romania is not on mars, nor in central asia, it is in EU and well before joining had copyright protection laws. They might not be enforced strictly for the home user, ie, copyright trolls dont get names and addresses as easily as in US, but they are for any business. It is done as it should be done, only the people which benefit from it materially are punished, in general, but the law is upheld.
Second, opening a romanian PoP was not done in order to offer an alternative for torrenting or hosting illegal material, but because romania is one of the IT hubs of the world and has one of the fastest internet infrastructure and last mile except city states (hong-kong, singapore, etc).

We wanted to cover EU from west to east and that has been done, we did NOT want to offer seedboxes or bullet-proof hosting. this is why i post here this rant.
I am sorry again, but we didnt even manage to open and we are flooded with questions about this and i think many people didnt bother to ask, just went on on assumptions due to false or misleading advertising here in the past.

Conclusion: Romania is NOT pirates paradise, even if it was, prometeus is an italian company, iperweb ltd/llc are UK/US ones, we do NOT allow illegal activities through any service we offer, the ToS/AUP still stands, the laws we obey are those of EU/US, I repeat, even if romania would not be in EU, we would still apply same laws, please do not ask "may I break the law?", the answer will always be NO!

Thank you for your understanding.

Comments

• info_hashinfo_hash Member
    edited April 2016

hum... please... @Maounique

may I break the law?

;-)

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited April 2016

For those who don't know or remember: @Maounique works for Prometeus (my most beloved VPS provider, by the way) and they have opened a POP in Romania a short time ago.

Hey, @Maounique - Nice to see you here again, even if the occasion is a rant. Say thanks to your fellow countrymen like @cociu for their continual bullshittery. I hope you get the new location cleaned from all the dickheads as soon as possible. I would love to try that new POP as I already love your services in Milan and Dronten, but I also don't need the described clientele as neighbours.

edited April 2016

Amitz said: Say thanks to your fellow countrymen like @cociu for their continual bullshittery.

I wouldn't blame @cociu for that.

I mean it's not as if voxility wasn't well known all around teh internets...

(And for anyone from America, or let say Sri Lanka pr many other countries - Romania can be considered far from your native shores)

• AmitzAmitz Member

info_hash said: I wouldn't blame @cociu for that.

Haha!

• cociucociu Member
    edited April 2016

i just aprended to ignore stupids comments. so @Amitz you can go to sleep. About the topic glad to see big companyes open pops here. About free DMCA i still selling this , i have public my personal data here , so what is the problem ? i have recive many complains (mails and letters) , what is the problem ? we have a big postal cage so eaven can recive more. ...

The next offer will be definetly free DMCA so please have paciense Sr. @Amitz still need some days until have the right to post .

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

cociu said: $6.99/mo-4 cores-2gb ram-350 hdd-Romania-Offshore-Torrent allowed ! No DMCA-BTC -paypal-Credit Card

Offshore, torrent allowed, hum, this is misleading because, while romania can be considered offshore in the geographical sense in some parts of the world and anyone allows or should allow legal torrents, your advertising sounds like illegal ones are okay too.

@Amitz: ATM there isnt much activity there, it is not really open officially, just published in the iwstack zones and we are still working on some bugs, meaning it works, in general, but will be better.
    I would not worry about neighbors much, i think people will understand in time that, while breaking the law can go unpunished for some time, it will never be allowed.

Thanked by 2switsys Amitz
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited April 2016

@cociu - Do what you want, knucklehead.

@Maounique
    I will jump on board it as soon as the next need arises. Will you have something like the NL Storage KVMs there too? Again, thank you for the good service! :-)

Thanked by 2netomx dedicados
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Same applies for The Netherlands, which despite being in Central Europe, some kids still consider a pirate paradise or something like that.

Anyway fact still stands: Voxility hasn't had much problems hosting lots of warez and they have ignored copyright abuse as long as it brought money. Also the case in The Netherlands thanks to Ecatel hosting criminals or LeaseWeb and NFOrce hosting lots of warez. Or even Sweden thanks to Portlane and PRQ some years ago.

So yeah, not all business will want this kind of clientele, but you can see where this image comes from.

Thanked by 3netomx info_hash cassa
  • Use cloudatcost and everything will be fine. It's only $8 for a lifetime anyways.

• lbftlbft Member
    edited April 2016

Maounique said: First, shame on you who advertised Romania as "no DMCA zone". While, yeah, DMCA does not apply in EU, your advertising made it look like hosting infringing content here is okay, or, at least, nobody will bother to check.

What a shock that a Romanian DC would be a sewer. Just because a few of them have cleaned up their act somewhat doesn't erase history, Romania was one of the places you hosted because other datacentres didn't want you (because your content was of questionable legality).

Get off your high horse Mao, your fellow countrymen created the situation.

• Ce pula mea.. Why u cry here? If you dont want your country considered with warez, start cleaning from inside.. For ex.: filelist is probably more used in romania than google.

Thanked by 1racksx
  • interested, wild west horse cowboy by @cociu

romanian company, romanian dc, = romanian law

To be honest @cociu will never get into much trouble because his upstream will likely shut him down before that happens.

• yeah, cociu always honest

love @mounique, sometimes

• ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

From what I see/understand, the country is not actually relevant too much when talking about 'bulletproof', its the provider and their actions/stance and as @Nyr says, their upstreams that determine how 'bulletproof' they are.

Totally agree with @Nyr and @Maounique, its a big shame that because of some specific providers willing to do things the general perception will be relayed back to every other host in that said country.

Also I dont think @cociu started any perception that Romania is a good place to host dodgy things.
    Like others in this thread, I would put full blame on voxility for that, also funny how they changed so much since they closed down their limehost brand and became a far more legit provider removing warez/spam/other stuff from their network.

• pedagangpedagang Member
    edited April 2016

always rule by the law / TOS

but law by mounique is different from law by cociu

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I was a customer of limehost long ago and still have the sticker on a server with LH.
    I know the people there and they never did that in purpose, but voxility was a VoIP provider in 2003 when i met them at my former workplace and evolved from there, mostly a la wild-wild-west, lets do this see if we can pull it through. As the professionalism level increased, things changed.
    Yeah, it is very hard here to get personal data from a provider, the law and constitution are still stronger than the secret services and copyright trolls, in spite of constant attacks, romanians know how it is to be under surveillance and what that brings, but there is no exception for the companies, thousands were fined and even hundreds of people jailed.
    Even so, I host my stuff at voxility, but prometeus stuff is at m247.

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

Offshore means ignoring complaints? ;)))) offshore service doesnt mean that you will be able to ignore something. Totally lost in marketing tricks ;)

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited April 2016

tl;dr version -

Read the rules of the provider and don't waste time debating things that no one except the government, the law agencies or the provider in question can do anything about.

• Any good provider choose what to do with DMCA, if he belive ignoring is an solution to make more money, this is what he will do, this is what 80% of providers in Romania do, they just ignore the DMCA notice, belive me i try to shutdown one nulled whmcs website, and i had no success, and this was hosted with one of the top Romanian providers, they just ignore to take actions about that, but do not worry Romania has laws, you just need to see how you can apply it and to whom to go with your complain.

To all of you, when you whant to make a spam/abuse complain, do it against the AS Number that host the IP, ripe will have to take action.

Thanked by 1pedagang

@racksx said:
    ripe will have to take action.

RIPE is a registary (a "book keeper")
    They won't (and also shouldn't) be taking action. The hosting providers/upstreams do.

Thanked by 3pedagang racksx Andreix
  • TionTion Member

@racksx said:
    Any good provider choose what to do with DMCA

From my experience a few eastern european providers tend to completely ignore automated DMCA notifications but react the moment you point out to the EU Directive and the corresponding national law.

• racksx said: belive me i try to shutdown one nulled whmcs website, and i had no success

That's probably because you don't own the company that makes WHMCS and don't represent them. Only WHMCS Ltd. themselves could know and claim that it's a nulled WHMCS install and if it infringes their rights.

Don't confuse legitimate copyright complaints with disgrunted random third parties or bots sending crap.

Thanked by 1Maounique

racksx said: if he belive ignoring is an solution to make more money, this is what he will do

Someone with your mentality and ethics, I guess. Certainly not anyone.

racksx said: i try to shutdown one nulled whmcs website, and i had no success

You don't have any copyright over WHMCS so I don't see much wrong with them ignoring your words. The most you could do is to contact WHMCS and let them know about the infringement so they can take action if they want.

Thanked by 2k0nsl Maounique
  • It's just a matter of time and interest, if the police wants you down you will be down. I got 3 years on probation for hosting a mp3 site of a client( files where not stored, only main site), police raid at 6am and criminal investigation on any electronic device using Encase.

• yeah, it's just proof no copyright trolls

• @Nyr said:
    Same applies for The Netherlands, which despite being in Central Europe, some kids still consider a pirate paradise or something like that.

Anyway fact still stands: Voxility hasn't had much problems hosting lots of warez and they have ignored copyright abuse as long as it brought money. Also the case in The Netherlands thanks to Ecatel hosting criminals or LeaseWeb and NFOrce hosting lots of warez. Or even Sweden thanks to Portlane and PRQ some years ago.

So yeah, not all business will want this kind of clientele, but you can see where this image comes from.

Leaseweb is like ovh or any other host a normal host where people just host their warez. Nforce is a complete different thing, they where build out of "warez". You won't find any other host with so much encrypted servers. About 60 or 70% of their servers are so called topsites. rest is full with seedboxes, streamingservers and stuff like that.

edited April 2016

Amitz said: Haha!

Come on, when Romania became considered as a pirate's paradise, @cociu was still planning to sell perfumes.

HE HIS INNOCENT

Butters said: Leaseweb is like ovh or any other host a normal host where people just host their warez. Nforce is a complete different thing, they where build out of "warez". You won't find any other host with so much encrypted servers. About 60 or 70% of their servers are so called topsites. rest is full with seedboxes, streamingservers and stuff like that.

Back in the days so many torrent sites moved to Leaseweb. They would just act if they had to. (As they do know, nowadays but with BREIN on their asses they have to act fast).

Is it up to the provider to decide what should be hosted or not? Few years ago people considered that it wasn't, and that you had to remove the content only if asked nicely by a court of law... Big powers worked hard to make the technical guys do the police work, seems like they succeeded :)

edited April 2016

@Butters said:

LeaseWeb defended their "right" to host torrent sites in court (and failed). Very little ISPs have done so.

And to say that 60 ℅ of NFOrce servers today are topsites and they don't host legit customers is a bit unrealistic.