Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean Expiring Credit
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean Expiring Credit

MunMun Member

As many know due the email that is being sent out, April will be the last month for many users credits. Even though I had to pay for my credit it now randomly "expires." Though I never agreed to this initially, it is now in place.

As such I have $50 to spend this month and I was curious on what creative methods people were using to spend up all the credits.

I was thinking of possibly spinning up 10 crypto-currency miners.

An endless spawning of a server image that downloaded a bunch of random torrents to waste bandwidth.

One really big minecraft for everyone in LET for a month.

What other things could I do with it?

Comments

• IshaqIshaq Member

Mun said: What other things could I do with it?

Don't be a dick? :P

Thanked by 3ATHK switsys user123
  • @Mun said:
    As many know due the email that is being sent out, April will be the last month for many users credits. Even though I had to pay for my credit it now randomly "expires."

I am under the impression that @jarland said that the credit you paid for will not expire, just the free credit will expire

• I just started an $80/month server. I have $120 in credit. What can I use it for? I need ideas as well.

• Isn't it just the free/bonus credit that expires? Not cash credit.

• Refugee offer anyone?

• hostnoob said: Isn't it just the free/bonus credit that expires? Not cash credit.

@joepie91 had an SLA credit marked as going to expire.

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

@david_W said:
    Refugee offer anyone?

Of what?

• @davidgestiondbi said:
    Of what?

LET offer in Singapore and Toronto location

• MunMun Member

@Ishaq said:
    Don't be a dick? :P

Ironically they are the ones being a dick.

@davidgestiondbi said:
    Of what?

No one knows.

• ATHKATHK Member

You have to be pretty naive to think free credit will last forever...

• lbftlbft Member
    edited April 2016

david_W said: Refugee offer anyone?

What kind of absolute moron would match someone else's free credits?

• @lbft said:
    What kind of absolute moron would match someone else's free credits?

lol, it's April 1st. Cheap VPS offer will also do.

• This time I received the email, however it landed in hotmail's spam folder

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Mun said: I was thinking of possibly spinning up 10 crypto-currency miners.

An endless spawning of a server image that downloaded a bunch of random torrents to waste bandwidth.

Come on man, you know I'm here and that we play on the same team. Don't lash out, reach out. Work with me.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@david_W said:
    lol, it's April 1st. Cheap VPS offer will also do.

For people that haven't been paying for service anyway? If you have credits that are expiring, it means you weren't running anything.

Why do people rush to try to give free service out?

Francisco

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Francisco said:

>

Well, I wasn't expected for free service anyway.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited April 2016

david_W said: Well, I wasn't expected for free service anyway.

Maybe you can offer a couple hundred million in VC capital for someone to make the offer you want. Maybe DO's VC wants to see a return now.

• @miTgiB said:
    Maybe you can offer a could hundred million in VC capital for someone to make the offer you want. Maybe DO's VC wants to see a return now.

Good point, I also heard their credit was getting abused too much before. I understand DO is good, but as for a simple Nginx proxy for non-critical projects. Just not willing to pay for $5/mo in full.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@miTgiB said:
    Maybe you can offer a could hundred million in VC capital for someone to make the offer you want. Maybe DO's VC wants to see a return now.

No one wants to buy a company that has millions of dollars in free service on the books.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Mridul
  • Hix! My $49 + $5 Credit

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Also got the email. I no longer have the cellphone number I had when I signed up, so I asked them to reset it. They asked for my id, and me to hold it. I simply sent the id, it'd be pretty ridiculous to hold it and take a picture, ahah!

Well, told them to close my account. Heh.

• Just to be clear.... this isn't referral credit right? Seems like this credit is from older DigitalOcean accounts.

I haven't gotten any emails about my referral credits expiring... They better not take that away from me.

• MunMun Member

@jarland said:
    Come on man, you know I'm here and that we play on the same team. Don't lash out, reach out. Work with me.

Hey, I am just getting the full usage of my credit. ;)

• PwnerPwner Member

Hentai@Home, 'nuff said.

• MunMun Member

@Pwner said:
    Hentai@Home, 'nuff said.

Takes awhile for it to work up to full speed.

• PwnerPwner Member

@Mun said:
    Takes awhile for it to work up to full speed.

Run your own Traffic Exchange service? :b

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2016

Back when this was announced last year, I launched 15 Tor relays which pushed about 50-60TB/month each, also making this the largest relay family in the Tor network for a while. Pretty good value for $5/droplet, all the credit was gone in a few months, and that page was closed. Yeah if you start now they probably won't have time to ramp up over the month, but why didn't you start spending it earlier, you knew about this since March-2015.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2016

@rm_ said:
    Back when this was announced last year, I launched 15 Tor relays which pushed about 50-60TB/month each, also making this the largest relay family in the Tor network for a while. Pretty good value for $5/droplet, all the credit was gone in a few months, and that page was closed. Yeah if you start now they probably won't have time to ramp up over the month, but why didn't you start spending it earlier, you knew about this since March-2015.

Even I'll admit, the email sent out was easy to pass over in a busy inbox. When I see "terms of service update" I think meaningless changed to legalese and I suspect I'm not the only person. I mean, hindsight is 20/20 that's feedback I didn't give back then.

I can understand people being upset, and I think it's important that we don't take a "Should have used it, too bad" attitude toward everyone concerned. Certainly there may be circumstances where that is even appropriate, but love first is the goal and that isn't changing.

Thanked by 1Rolter
  • david_Wdavid_W Member
    edited April 2016

DO is still the 3rd cloud provider after AWS and Rackspace I am comfortable to put production stuffs on. I am totally separate my personal account and company account so I still have few VMs with DO. However for my personal stuffs, I just grabbed another low end OVZ from HVH instead for TOR1 replacement. Not sure which provider I should go with the Singapore location yet.. May be Vultr JP...

• @david_W said:
    DO is still the 3rd cloud provider after AWS and Rackspace I am comfortable to put production stuffs on. I am totally separate my personal account and company account so I still have few VMs with DO. However for my personal stuffs, I just grabbed another low end OVZ from HVH instead for TOR1 replacement. Not sure which provider I should go with the Singapore location yet.. May be Vultr JP...

Hostus? Dediserve?

Thanked by 1dediserve