Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

securedragon ddos protection
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

securedragon ddos protection

Hi,

I would like to know if ddos protection in oregon with securedragon is as good as protection I can get with ramnode and buyvm.

thanks

Comments

• It's CNServers, so look for review on them. I believe Ramnode Seattle uses CNServers for the DDoS add-on.

Thanked by 1oper1984
  • @mikeyur said:
    It's CNServers, so look for review on them. I believe Ramnode Seattle uses CNServers for the DDoS add-on.

thanks a lot

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

It's good as long as you only need to protect TCP. CNServers will drop UDP when attacked.

Considering the very low SD pricing, it's good :)

Thanked by 1oper1984
  • IshaqIshaq Member

Nyr said: It's good as long as you only need to protect TCP. CNServers will drop UDP when attacked.

I've never understood the reasoning behind this, is their equipment not able to handle UDP? Is it because it's stateless?

Anyone know?

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

@Ishaq said:
    Anyone know?

What they primarily told us was that filtering UDP is quite hard so they didn't want to get involved in the whole disappointment of the filtering not being solid if they didn't filter 100% of the bad UDP traffic. I can only speculate and say that they didn't want the whole hassle of having to constantly change rules for UDP traffic. The TCP protection is very solid so it more than makes up for UDP being blocked in some cases for us at least.

• IshaqIshaq Member

@SpartanHost said:
    What they primarily told us was that filtering UDP is quite hard so they didn't want to get involved in the whole disappointment of the filtering not being solid if they didn't filter 100% of the bad UDP traffic. I can only speculate and say that they didn't want the whole hassle of having to constantly change rules for UDP traffic. The TCP protection is very solid so it more than makes up for UDP being blocked in some cases for us at least.

Hm, right.

I guess it depends on your audience, at the end of the day.

• Portland is CNServers which uses a mix of Voxility and CNServers own filtering, its quite good, as good as anything BuyVM and Ramnode offer.

SecureDragon advertises a couple other locations as having some protection, I wouldnt recommend using those locations though, the mitigation capacity isnt very high.

Thanked by 1oper1984
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

As others have said, the UDP protection in our Portland location isn't the best if you're hosting something that relies on UDP (like VoIP) but for something that utilizes TCP (like websites) it's awesome. Here's a graph from 2013 when some kid wanted to take us offline: http://n3rd.info/hello_ddos.png

I was actually following his Twitter and watching him tweeting things like "any moment now securedragon" and "now more packets". Our site stayed online the whole time even though I asked CNServers to nullroute the IP so we didn't get hit with bandwidth overages (we were only paying for 800Mbps of protection at the time), they told us not to worry about it and they kept us online. The kid promptly deleted all of the tweets he was posting about us and proceeded to take HackForums offline instead.

As for our Los Angeles location, we don't know the specifics about their protection other than the appliances themselves which I'm not familiar with except their reputation. It's a much lower level of protection and the 3Gbps is a hard limit so anything over that will get nullrouted shortly after. I am curious about the UDP protection in Los Angeles and how it's handled because we have a lot of clients who host VoIP servers and might benefit from it. Maybe @miTgiB can chime in on his experience since he has the same type of protection (with a higher limit) in his LA location and probably has a lot more VoIP clients there than we do in all of our locations combined. :)