Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dreamhost open in Portland; raindog308 moves to Las Vegas
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dreamhost open in Portland; raindog308 moves to Las Vegas

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Email from Dreamhost:

Hello Beloved Customer,

Aw, shucks.

We’ve recently opened up a brand-spanking new data center in Portland, Oregon! 
We’ve got plans to move your sites to servers in this new data center at the start 
of next week or shortly thereafter. 

Sweet, just down the street from me...alas...

Just four days before this announcement, I signed up at BuyShared with @Francisco

I like DH, quality provider - just don't need to pay $120/yr when $20/yr suffices.

Every time someone opens in Portland it's either complete garbage (DirectSpace), something I don't need (SecureDragon's DDOS-protected VPS), or something too expensive (DH). I think I need to move to Dallas...or Buffalo...

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Is Portland as depicted in Portlandia?

Thanked by 1ExpertVM
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Nekki said: Is Portland as depicted in Portlandia?

It's much stupider.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

raindog308 said: It's much stupider.

Sounds heavenly.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited March 2016

raindog308 said: or something too expensive

Yes, but you get "unlimited" disk space and bandwidth!

/s

• @raindog308 said: SecureDragon's DDOS-protected VPS

They made that location part of their regular lineup now, so the DDoS protection is basically a freebie. My new preferred location (I'm in Vancouver).

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jvnadr said: Yes, but you get "unlimited" disk space and bandwidth!

In fairness, it's more true of DH than anyone. A guy talked on WHT a while back that he had 1.3TB on DH and they never complained. I had ~170GB or so there for a while.

I really have no complaints about DH, and I do prefer their in-house panel and the way the account is setup over cPanel.

The only things I have on shared any more are friends and families' sites and they use a pittance. They were happy to move from splitting the cost of $120/yr to splitting $20/yr.

Now that I think about it, I should have moved to BuyShared but not told them and raked in filthy lucre. Shoot.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Not to worry, DS will likely go away soon enough :P I think they moved out of the Pittock at this point.

Francisco