Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Web Hosting/Reseller Hosting... same server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Web Hosting/Reseller Hosting... same server?

shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
edited February 2013 in General

Do you think that putting web hosting and reseller hosting on the same servers is a bad idea? Personally I think it's a good idea because it keeps costs down and motivates the host to care as much about the resellers as their direct customers.
On the other hand, I have less control over the sites/customers on the server. Also I've heard that people want the hostnames to be whilelabel.
What are your opinions?

Comments

• Do you think opening a thread for every idea you have is a good idea?

Anyways, would you rather pay for two different servers with cPanel or just one?

• @curtisg said: Do you think opening a thread for every idea you have is a good idea?

Hello pot, is kettle....

@shovenose said: Personally I think it's a good idea because it keeps costs down and motivates the host to care as much about the resellers as their direct customers.

Yes.

@shovenose said: On the other hand, I have less control over the sites/customers on the server.

Not really, cpanel still shows you the reseller's clients accounts, if you're using cpanel.

@shovenose said: Also I've heard that people want the hostnames to be whilelabel.

Yes, this is a valid reason too.

• I don't see any reason not to do this especially if the server is powerful. It's all shared hosting, its just that some of it is managed by resellers. If you have someone that is having resource issues and they are a reseller, then at that point you could evaluate getting a different server. Of course at that point you will hopefully be getting some revenue.

• @shovenose said: On the other hand, I have less control over the sites/customers on the server. Also I've heard that people want the hostnames to be whilelabel.

For reseller hosting I do prefer white label, yes. Honestly though most people using shared hosting probably would not notice.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Well let's say hostname is server42.shovenet.com if yet go to shovenet.com its not very exciting.

• edited February 2013

@Damian said: Hello pot, is kettle....

Black? ;) Good one haha

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited February 2013

I was using shared and reseller cPanel plans before going for VPS. I would say that most, if not all, providers are using same servers for shared and reseller accounts.

Yes, make it white-label. It is attractive for small providers.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited February 2013

@DalComp said: I was using shared and reseller cPanel plans before going for VPS. I would say that most, if not all, providers are using same servers for shared and reseller accounts.

It shouldn't be a problem. Reseller are equally clients. Just make sure they can't oversell past what you've given them otherwise it's out of hand.

• @concerto49 said: It should be a problem. Reseller are equally clients. Just make sure they can't oversell past what you've given them otherwise it's out of hand.

Yes, limiting factors should be set properly.

If CPU/RAM usage is a concern too, you may also want to limit the maximum shared accounts that resellers can create.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

I do not allow overselling on my reseller hosting plans. so it makes life easy. :)