Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xeon E3-1245V2 VS i7-3770 Your opinion ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Xeon E3-1245V2 VS i7-3770 Your opinion ?

For a dedicated server, I have the choice between a processor, Xeon E3-1245V2 or i7-3770.

Best processor for a dedicated server?
  1. In your opinion what is the best choice?48 votes
    1. Intel Core i7-3770
      14.58%
    2. Intel Xeon E3-1245V2
      85.42%

Comments

• E3 is more likely to be server grade gear, so I'd go that route.

• SvenSven Member

Dnepends on your needs. i7 has a better performance. E3 is a server CPU. If you need the CPU power I would go for i7 since you dont have to worry about hardware replacment/issues.

• I had i3-3770 at Hetzner, but I changed that to E3-1245V2, because E3 have ECC-ram.
    At Server Auction, they were about same price. With i7 you can't get EEC memory, if it's important.

• nepsneps Member

What are you going to do with the server? If it's not super critical the i7 might please you.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

For general all around purpose go with E3-1245v2. The extra performance of i7 is negligible compared with ECC RAM support of E3.

• ECC for general all around purpose is also negligible.

• @comeback said:
    For a dedicated server, I have the choice between a processor, Xeon E3-1245V2 or i7-3770.

What do you need it for?

• Thank you all for your responses.

I want to use the server with WHM / cPanel.

I had not thought of ECC memory

• Definitely go with Server grade Xeon if you want a system for longer run and resell services to others.

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

@comeback said:
    Thank you all for your responses.

I want to use the server with WHM / cPanel.

I had not thought of ECC memory

E3 - no questions.

• For a production environment, go with the server grade hardware, so the E3.