Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time Billing/Project tracking in Hostbill, anyone know of a module for this?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Time Billing/Project tracking in Hostbill, anyone know of a module for this?

jbxljbxl Member
edited February 2013 in General

Does anyone use HostBill for time billing or project tracking? I don't think there is a module for this in HostBill, but I am wondering if anyone has come up with a solution here. I've asked on the HostBill forums as well, but the activity there doesn't seem to be as high.

I see its possible to have billing by the hour, but I don't see any way to specifically track less than an hour.

Comments

• Also acceptable would be an outside application that has been integrated into HB invoicing.

• I would love this as well! Anyone?

• If I end up with HB I will most likely need to code this. Not a problem, though they just raised their price so its less attractive.

• So this function is currently available for WHMCS?

• @jbxl said: billing or project tracking

Could you explain what you mean on this a bit more. Like freelance project tracking? I believe billr is a panel by I forget whom here, but it was designed for freelancers to tract projects, etc. If you want I can put something together (whmcs module or hostbill) that might help. You'd have to give me a while as I'm quite busy right now though, but could have one done in a few days.

• I've been in touch with @jhadley and the project looks fabulous. I'm stuck mainly because no project offers what I need as a complete package (yet)..

Billr certainly would meet my needs for consultant billing though the automation for the products I use isn't there yet. For that the best solution is (unfortunately) Hostbill. I am eagerly awaiting the next version of Billr as it is an excellent prospect for an all around solution. I don't really want to code for it though until the new version is out.

For HostBill project tracking if you are willing to code something simple we should talk. I am also in need of an additional glue module for Hostbill if you are familiar with it.

• @curtisg see the above comment... forgot to @ you

• jhjh Member
    edited February 2013

Which hosting modules are you using at the moment? The next version of Billr is about 2-3 weeks away and will let you create modules for hosting panels (or anything else, by passing order variables through to a script) and includes full time tracking etc.

I think it would be unrealistic to aim for any modules in that timeframe as development is pushed as it is, but if there's a lot of demand for the modules you need then I can release scripts shortly after.

• Trying to integrate Proxmox. I'm willing to provide a testing environment too, but I understand that your time is limited.

How does the provisioning work? Is it through PHP modules or another method?

• jhjh Member

At the moment the plan is to allow the admin to check boxes for the order variables they'd like to pass through, and enter the location (https://) of a script that will accept them. This is the method that I think will offer the most flexibility (I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this as it's still undecided).

I'll see what the demand is like for a Proxmox script/module and we'll go from there.

• I actually really like that approach. If the script itself is a standard API then it offers a lot of flexability.

• The one item that would still be missing though would be the remote control panel. This isn't such a big deal with SolusVM as the control panel is excellent, but with Proxmox the existing panel isn't geared for resellers. The interface in HB provides an interface that's usable.

• jhjh Member
    edited February 2013

@jbxl said: The one item that would still be missing though would be the remote control panel. This isn't such a big deal with SolusVM as the control panel is excellent, but with Proxmox the existing panel isn't geared for resellers. The interface in HB provides an interface that's usable.

No plans for anything like that I'm afraid but I should be able to make the Billr source available to you for a reasonable fee if you want to build that in yourself.

EDIT: the thought at the moment is to make the client area unencoded by default so you can build what you need into that FOC.

• @jhadley said: No plans for anything like that I'm afraid but I should be able to make the Billr source available to you for a reasonable fee if you want to build that in yourself.

This sounds reasonable. Also, as we discussed I don't really mind having a separate system for consulting/time tracking. I'd just want some sort of shared support address. Hostbill can do this with other Hostbill installations... so maybe there is a way to make it work. Doing that also certainly puts me in a position to migrate down the line if all the other pieces fall into place (or I code them).

• jhjh Member

Not sure about shared support I'm afraid. It might be that the easiest thing would be to have a standalone helpdesk, but then you have 3 bits of software..

• Apparently HB isn't the only one in this initiative. A quick look shows that they can interface using this:

http://networkedhelpdesk.org/

• Apparently its possible to do @jhadley if we implement this API: http://networkedhelpdesk.org/api/

Opens up a bunch of other compliant apps too.

• jhjh Member

Thanks for the link - I'll look into it

• jhjh Member

It looks good - I think we're going to implement it. I also just PMd you some nice screenshots.