Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

backup mail server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

backup mail server

SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran
edited February 2013 in Help

Hello friends,

I have a client who uses cpanel for all his mail services and whenever there is issue he panics because all of his mails are stopped. Is there any way I can backup services using another cpanel server hosted elsewhere ?
I want that if any of the server is not available , then can still send and receive mails.

Comments

• how about using gmail/googleapps?

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Alright, how about coming back to original question (cpanel and other backup server)

• You can add another MX record (add higher priority) to a fallback email server. When your server goes down (and DNS is still up - that's why you need (atleast) two different nameservers) your mail will be send to your fallback server. When your server comes back online, your fallback mail server will send the mail to your primary server.

You need to configure your second VPS to be used as a fallback server though.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

You will probably get some problems with a setup like that. This is an idea, nothing I have tested at all.

Do your client download emails from your original cPanel account or are they stored there for webmail use?

Reason I ask is that if its stored you need to sync all content over to a backup server somewhere to make it accessible while the primary server is down.
    You then need some type of domainname (or subdomain) with short TTL so if the primary goes down, it updates to the secondary.

Add a second MX pointer to your secondary server, this with a higher value then your primary.

The problems arise when your primary comes back online, how will you get all the recieved emails from your secondary to the primary?

• @saahib if you already have another server available then you're on your way. Add additional MX records then follow this guide; it uses postfix: http://cybertechcafe.net/node/50

• Two email servers could also use DRBD, or glusterfs so both are in working states at the same time, and mail storage is synced.