Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does server management consist of?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What does server management consist of?

DStroutDStrout Member
edited February 2013 in Help

What does server management consist of, really? 99.99999% of LEBs are unmanaged, so how am I supposed to manage them? Currently, I just run updates of the OS and software, and don't do stupid things like make root SSH available via password authentication on port 22. But I feel like there must be more to it. Admittedly, I don't know much about security, and my strongest form of security is security by obscurity - that is, of all the IPs for bots to hit, why mine? So my question is twofold: what does server management consist of (aside from updating software), and what should I do to secure my server?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2013

Firewall. Simply existing makes you a target. My new node was getting slammed from China before I could run yum update. Keep your stuff up to date and learn to manage iptables, or use CSF to do it for you. Throw a little LFD or fail2ban in there and you've accomplished a lot already. Most of the malicious traffic you'll get isn't going to bother trying that hard if you have industry standard checks and blocks in place. Most people can "get by" pretty easily.

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited February 2013

I'm still learning myself, so I would add Security + Optimization.

Security: Firewall like @jarland said, strong passwords, changing ssh ports, hmm...
    Optimization: Well, basically finding what installation(s) you need at the lowest possible resources. Without optimization even a regular website might consuming all ram/cpu, disturbing other sites on the server, making some services like database to be inaccessible, and the worst is getting kicked by your provider if it occurs continuously.

• security, optimizing, backup these 3 will give you lots of fun time to work with.

for security apart from what other said, I will just add: watch your server log, I always got something to do after I watch my server log :)

optimizing: try to find your server limits, whats the max connection, average serving times etc. in case your website become popular, how you will scale it up? etc.

backup: let say your server got hacked or HDD crashed, how fast you will recover?, how you will restore it, how do you backup.

Always start with questioning your system/server, usually you will get something to do with your server (server management)

• Try dome9 for securing your ports like ssh, ftp etc.
    Additionally I use CSF firewall

• create ssh keys
    • change default ports of ssh/openvpn
    • use iptables (default drop, maximum values for packages)
    • use fail2ban for at least sftp/smtp/pop3/imap
    • create one shell script for backup and run it more than once a year
    • use octopussy, etc... to generate reports out of /var/log
    • run services with new system users (no root services if not needed)
    • check your configs for unsecure settings (php, proxies, ...)
  • Some of the things I would like to suggest to install for hardening your server are modsecurity, modevasive, rootkit hunter, CSF(works perfect for me),clamAV.

• Thanks all, this is helpful. This is the sort of stuff that should be in the wiki, with step-by-step instructions.

• throw in logwatch, it's helpful especially if you don't have an interface like cpanel.

backing up, alone, is pure happiness. make sure that your strategy is working, files are transferred successfully, backup server is secured, backups are restorable at any time.

ram and io are also tricky. monitor them as much as you can.

i am like you also, i'm not yet familiar with most things, just read documentations (though sometimes complicated) religiously and google is your friend (sometimes not, if you're searching the wrong problem). and yes, lowendtalk is also your friend. have solved issues with suggestions of the community + own research.