Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about vestacp backup feature
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question about vestacp backup feature

jvnadrjvnadr Member
edited March 2016 in Help

Hello there!

Usually I use no or other panels. In the installations I have been used vesta, I had individual backups from the sites itselfs etc. I have never used vestacp backup feature.
So, I want to know how reliable vestacp backup feature is, in case of server failure and need to migrate this backup to another machine node. Can I have your experiences?
Thanks!

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Been using it for over 2 years now. It's been a while since I've restored, but my experience with restoring was that you better restore on the same server or prepare to manually adjust, because the IP bindings in the virtual hosts follow.

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • It works, I've used it in the past for migrations. I don't use their remote ftp backup thing though, I handle the moving of the backup files on my own.

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • @jarland said: because the IP bindings in the virtual hosts follow

OMG. I completely forgot about that. God that was a painful day...

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited March 2016

@jarland Thanks. Ip bindings are not such an issue, after all, every backup and restore in different server need manual adjust. My concern is more of issues in the backup file itself, and not some tuning for the new ips.

P.S. Χιλιόχρονος (translation: "may you live 1000 years" in Greek, for a birthday!)

• @mikeyur Thanks. I agree, all of my backup strategies are include cron jobs, scp and rsync, not remote ftp from a panel!

• DreamCasterDreamCaster Member
    edited March 2016

It worked great for me. I just had to type two lines of code on terminal and upload the back up to the new server via SFTP. I liked it.

I am referring to this;

https://vestacp.com/docs/#how-to-migrate-user-to-another-server

@jvnadr

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • DylanDylan Member

@jarland said:
    Been using it for over 2 years now. It's been a while since I've restored, but my experience with restoring was that you better restore on the same server or prepare to manually adjust, because the IP bindings in the virtual hosts follow.

They must have fixed that. I did a couple of user restores to different servers with different IPs a few weeks ago and didn't have to manually adjust anything.

Thanked by 2jar jvnadr
  • nepsneps Member

jvnadr said: Usually I use no or other panels. In the installations I have been used vesta, I had individual backups from the sites itselfs etc. I have never used vestacp backup feature.

So, I want to know how reliable vestacp backup feature is, in case of server failure and need to migrate this backup to another machine node. Can I have your experiences?
    Thanks!

I use it on several client sites, never had a problem restoring from VestaCP backup tar on a new server.

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • @jvradr - If do you try backups on your server - please try Vesta backup on ObjSpace. Its super experimental (read needs heavier testing so may break). But I've had a test server setup running it since January and have got a successful backup each night.

http://wiki.delimiter.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=1245228

You can get a month's free ObjSpace on Mike's offer to test it.

Would be interesting in hearing how it goes.

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • Kyn_DHKyn_DH Member
    edited March 2016

@DreamCaster said:
    It worked great for me. I just had to type two lines of code on terminal and upload the back up to the new server via SFTP. I liked it.

I am referring to this;

https://vestacp.com/docs/#how-to-migrate-user-to-another-server

never had problem backup restore with this way, only I have to sett to new IP when it move to another server.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2016

Make sure you restore to another vestacp server with the same config.
    If you have DNS setup (using DNS as example, could be any service) on the source but not on the destination the restore will fail and you have to do it all manually.

Thanked by 1jvnadr