Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alternatives to Solus for KVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Alternatives to Solus for KVM

smansman Member
edited March 2016 in General

Just found another problem with my Solus KVM install. It's been one problem after another with Solus and KVM. A lot of them fairly obvious ones that should have been found which makes me think they don't have a lot of people using KVM. Their OpenVZ implementation is ok. I don't have any major complaints about that.

Have never been too happy with their KVM implementation and this last problem is pretty much the last straw for me. This one was something the customers would have seen which just makes me look bad. A lot of times customers don't report these problems. They just cancel and go somewhere else. I think this problem has been going on for months so I'm not too happy about it.

To make matters worse the solus support guy who tried to fix it buggered up my security certificates, tried to blame me for installing them wrong, and I could barely understand his poor english responses. I ended up figuring it out myself. I think he was on the right track but didn't seem to understand anything about my letsencrypt setup (I had to cut/paste the instructions from their website for him) and assumed my old lighttpd certificate files (which are now expired) were the ones I should have been using.

Comments

• RizRiz Member

Virtualizor? Proxmox (I think they have modules built for end users)? Feathur?

• Out of curiosity, what was the recent issue?

• AshleyUkAshleyUk Member
    edited March 2016

@sman said:

>
    >

After recently moving from V*** to SolusVM fully including ALOT of KVM VM's, it has been very stable overall compared to the multiple inconsistency's with V**** overall not just virt specific.

Care to let me know what issues you found with SolusVM so far, may be something I can help, either topic or via PM.

• smansman Member
    edited March 2016

Solus letsencrypt certificates update every week but turns out they don't update the noVNC certificate.

So as it stands now I have to manually update the noVNC certificate every week. It's not just a cut/paste the file thing either. You have to create the file from 2 different letsencrypt files. One of those files changes ever week.

Other than that they did a nice job implementing letsencrypt. You just have to disable lighttpd and install 2 RPMS which installs nginx + letsencrypt. Apparently they didn't think this through and forgot about the noVNC certificate. Deciding to have the certificate update every week makes this that much more of an oversight.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
  • >

Well it being a new and documented as experimental feature, I wouldn't really say this is a KVM virtualization issue as such.

• smansman Member
    edited March 2016

Not experimental and not that new. 100% KVM related as far as control panels go. NoVNC is only used for KVM.

• letsencrypt is new and is marked as expiremental on their website.

What you have said would not be effected at all if you was using your own SSL cert and following the standard setup for NOVNC.

• smansman Member
    edited March 2016

@AshleyUk said:
    letsencrypt is new and is marked as expiremental on their website.

What you have said would not be effected at all if you was using your own SSL cert and following the standard setup for NOVNC.

The certificates themselves work just fine.

• deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep

Proxmox

VMmanager from ISPsystems

We've had good experiences with KVM on SolusVM (just for normal production usage) and haven't seen any major issues that would impact common functionality.

• smansman Member
    edited March 2016

@deployvm said:
    Proxmox

VMmanager from ISPsystems

We've had good experiences with KVM on SolusVM (just for normal production usage) and haven't seen any major issues that would impact common functionality.

I should take a walk down memory lane with some of the dozens of tickets I have opened. Some still not resolved going on 1 or 2 years now.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Highly recommend proxmox

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

I used Virtualizor for a few weeks and set up both KVM and OpenVZ and my opinion is that SolusVM is a more polished product and has a much simpler interface (both for admin and end user), but Virtualizor works just as well as SolusVM functionality-wise and Virtualizor has a far better WHMCS module. Both are pretty good but not perfect - definitely wouldn't bother migrating from one to the other. If Virtualizor's interface wasn't so cluttered it would have the advantage over SolusVM in my mind.

• Ask them to escalate your ticket to L3 & the problem that you are facing will be taken of much more quickly by more competent people. A simple google research will reveal to you that people have had nightmares with support staff of much more expensive panels where they pay thousands of dollars per month whereas SolusVM is just a budget control panel. So I don't think you should write them off just because of your experience with their L1 support, without your issue having looked into by someone from L3 support staff.

• RIYADRIYAD Member, Patron Provider

+1 for proxmox for personal use and its free !

and Virtualizor too

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@sman said:
    I should take a walk down memory lane with some of the dozens of tickets I have opened. Some still not resolved going on 1 or 2 years now.

Basement

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2016

Novnc is used for xen as well.

Nothing forcing you to use the lets encrypt, just revert to your old Certs, I don't even think the feature is documented yet it's certainly not mainstream.

• are there that many issues with SolusVM? care to enlighten.........

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited March 2016

Well, it had Security issues, got hazord, same for WHCMS.

Maybe it still has some and get hazord again.

• well, there's always a bug or two with any cp............ like cpanel for instance, not prefect. problem is, there are always bugs simply because hackers and related upgrade too

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Well, there is still a difference between a Bug and a Bugdoor.

Sure every Software has Bugs, but you should always check the User Inputs to prevent these things to happen.

Thanked by 1century1stop
  • smansman Member
    edited March 2016

@AnthonySmith said:
    Novnc is used for xen as well.

Nothing forcing you to use the lets encrypt, just revert to your old Certs, I don't even think the feature is documented yet it's certainly not mainstream.

I don't use Xen and didn't know it was used for that.

Here is your documentation. I'm told that Nginx will probably be their new default going forward.

https://documentation.solusvm.com/display/DOCS/NGINX+for+SolusVM+1.x

I probably tested noVNC after installing the certificates. I think what happened is that it was still using the old certificates which were not expiring for a few more weeks.

• @sman said:

Which does state its experimental, as I and Anthony have both said, there was nothing wrong with any part of the KVM system within SolusVM.

You was using an experimental SSL system, which caused issues accessing NOVNC after your paid CERT expired.

The fact the link you presented does not even state that it includes support/covers the NOVNC cert this was something you just guessed would continue to work.

• DETioDETio Member
    edited March 2016

@sman said:
    Just found another problem with my Solus KVM install. It's been one problem after another with Solus and KVM. A lot of them fairly obvious ones that should have been found which makes me think they don't have a lot of people using KVM. Their OpenVZ implementation is ok. I don't have any major complaints about that.

Have never been too happy with their KVM implementation and this last problem is pretty much the last straw for me. This one was something the customers would have seen which just makes me look bad. A lot of times customers don't report these problems. They just cancel and go somewhere else. I think this problem has been going on for months so I'm not too happy about it.

To make matters worse the solus support guy who tried to fix it buggered up my security certificates, tried to blame me for installing them wrong, and I could barely understand his poor english responses. I ended up figuring it out myself. I think he was on the right track but didn't seem to understand anything about my letsencrypt setup (I had to cut/paste the instructions from their website for him) and assumed my old lighttpd certificate files (which are now expired) were the ones I should have been using.

We have built an alternative to SolusVM which is just as affordable, get in touch if you'd like a demo - it supports additional features such as Deploying One-Click Applications (VM-Bitnami/Container-Docker), Custom Applications (Node.JS, PHP, RoR, Java, etc..) & Standard KVM Virtual Machines.

Have a look at http://det.io

• smansman Member
    edited March 2016

So my letsencrypt certificate updated today but the parts required by noVNC did not. Only the datestamp of those files changed.

Which letsencrypt files are supposed to change and which will never change unless I update something locally (private key?).

It appears that the contents of chain.pem changed but cert.pem did not. private.pem + cert.pem are the 2 files needed with the correct info to make noVNC work

• smansman Member
    edited March 2016

@AshleyUk said:
    something something.....certificates...experimimental...argle bargle blah blah

The certificate works just fine. Do you have a relevant point or just want to throw rocks?

• BlazingServersBlazingServers Member, Host Rep

I used to face many problems using SolusVM. Like while installing, the root pass that was generated could not be used as the system could not change the passes during installation. Sometimes, the noVNC would not work.

• @sman said:

Your moaning about an issue being to do with SolusVM KVM, which is infact nothing to do with SolusVM KVM features, but you using a experimental SSL feature within SolusVM where at no point does it mention that it supports the SSL for NOVNC.

So yes personally I do have a relevant point.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

sman said: https://documentation.solusvm.com/display/DOCS/NGINX+for+SolusVM+1.x

I probably tested noVNC after installing the certificates. I think what happened is that it was still using the old certificates which were not expiring for a few more weeks.

Nice one, yeah sounds like the likely reason, I will have a play see what happens.

• SolusVMSolusVM Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2016

@sman said:
    So my letsencrypt certificate updated today but the parts required by noVNC did not. Only the datestamp of those files changed.

Which letsencrypt files are supposed to change and which will never change unless I update something locally (private key?).

It appears that the contents of chain.pem changed but cert.pem did not. private.pem + cert.pem are the 2 files needed with the correct info to make noVNC work

I will get this issue addressed on Tuesday for you. I will review the whole ticket and fix what is needed. I'm aware of a couple of other issues with the HTML5 consoles so they will be fixed as well.

Phill

Thanked by 1sman