Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NEW NODE, Tell us your DREAM VPS PLAN & PRICE and we'll do our best make it happen-AlienVPS is back!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NEW NODE, Tell us your DREAM VPS PLAN & PRICE and we'll do our best make it happen-AlienVPS is back!

AlienLayerAlienLayer Member
edited February 2013 in General

Hi LET community, I know I've never been very active on this site however I'd like that to change. If you don't know who I am, my name is Russell and I am the owner of AlienLayer/AlienVPS. We've been pretty quiet the past year with new offers and that's mainly because we've been focusing on our existing customers and trying our best to make our services better. In the beginning we grew very fast and sometimes our support suffered. I hope that our customers agree that over the past year we've improved in this department.

Now, back to the main subject of this thread, we have a brand new 24 core node with 64GB of RAM and 8x HD's in a HW RAID 10 configuration. We'd love to get your opinion on what type of node we should make it, and what you'd like to see in our new Roswell and Abduction mini/max plans, any input you provide will be greatly appreciated and your responses will directly determine the node type and plans config! Below are some initial configurations we're thinking but please feel free to tell us what YOU want and we'll do our best to make it happen. We want to know the resources and the pricing you'd like to see in your dream config! The LET community is in control of what we do with this beast of a machine and this is our way of giving back towards this great resource! LET members will get first dibs at the new plans as we'll be releasing the final plans in a few different limited stock releases in order to effectively control the performance and stability of the new node.

Node Type Options:

1. KVM w/ Full SolusVM Template Library (gen1 + gen2) + Our complete ISO library
  2. OpenVZ w/ VSwap
  3. OpenVZ w/ Burst RAM
  4. Xen

KVM Plan Options:

1. KVM Abduction Mini - 1 core, 10GB HD, 256MB RAM, 250GB Transfer, 50mbps uplink - $15/year
  2. KVM Abduction Max - 2 cores, 20GB HD, 512MB RAM, 500GB Transfer, 100mbps uplink - $29/year
  3. KVM Roswell 1 - 4 cores, 30GB HD, 768MB RAM, 750GB Transfer, 100mbps uplink - $7/month
  4. KVM Roswell 2 - 6 cores, 40GB HD, 1GB RAM, 1TB Transfer, 200mbps uplink - $14/month
  5. KVM Roswell 3 - 8 cores, 50GB HD, 2GB RAM, 2TB Transfer, 400mbps/uplink - $26/month

OpenVZ / Xen Plan Options (xen ram specs would be the lower number):

1. Abduction Mini - 1 core, 10GB HD, 256/512MB RAM, 250GB Transfer, 50mbps uplink - $14/year
  2. Abducion Max - 2 cores, 20GB HD, 512/768MB RAM, 500GB Transfer, 100mbps uplink - $26/year
  3. Roswell 1 - 4 cores, 30GB HD, 1/1.5GB RAM, 750GB Transfer, 100mbps uplink - $6/month
  4. Roswell 2 - 6 cores, 40GB HD, 1.5/2GB RAM, 1TB Transfer, 200mbps uplink - $11/month
  5. Roswell 3 - 8 cores, 50GB HD, 2/3GB RAM, 2TB Transfer, 400mbps uplink - $20/month

*Please note that these plans are not currently available for ordering on our website and are only a starting point for discussion. Your input will directly affect how the final plan config and pricing is determined!

(Site admins, I apologize in advance if this is posted in the wrong section, I wasn't exactly sure where this should go and completely understand if you decide to move it.)

Comments

• KVM Abduction Max looks good - prefer the simplicity of low cost annual plans.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

OpenVZ with vSwap please :)

• Get ready for a storm of hate coming your way!

• OVZ Abduction Max/Roswell 1 with 1Gbps instead of limited port speeds, same BW.

• Thanks for the input guys! To keep things easy to track, since we can only choose one virtualization platform for this node, if you don't mind please start each post with something like this, followed by your comments:

VM Type: KVM or 1

• arieonlinearieonline Member
    edited February 2013

storage plan? with a lot of HDD space but minimal CPU Core and RAM?

• edited February 2013

Vote for KVM Abduction Mini, it looks very nice.

And if you do OpenVZ, please do make it vSwap. And I'd be interested in OpenVZ plan with more storage space but tiny CPU and RAM, mayby even as low as 32MB.

• Please also give us some ideas on what you guys would like in terms of pricing.

• But, how is the uptime?

• Monthly uptime is around 99.75% to 99.95% depending on the node, some nodes have 99.99% uptime. We have all our nodes monitored by Pingdom at 60 second intervals and you may view stats at www.alienuptime.com - I suggest you look at the monthly view for our various nodes for the most accurate representation of our uptime.

• Just my Idea, you can try to simplify your pricing scheme: maybe only 2price (low & high), or just 1 price, if you want to try.

but provide more package, like ram package (more memory), storage package (more storage), CPU package, and its all coming in simple pricing or maybe all in the same price.

and try to get more profit from addon, offloaded Mysql, or traffic between your VPS account is free / not counted.

• Definetly KVM Abduction Max is the most tempting to me.

• ZeroCoolZeroCool Member
    edited February 2013

my dream is openvz + swap
    1Gb ram + 1gb swap
    CPU 4 Core
    50 or 100gb Hardisk Raid 10
    Port speed : 1 Gbps
    Bandwidht : 2TB
    Price : 25 USD/Year

• Zerocool, the 100gb would be hard to offer but we could probably do 50gb for $25/year on a limited special promo.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2013

Well, I've heard a lot of bad things. However, you guys don't seem to be going anywhere. Been around for quite a while now. Have you guys done anything to address the bad uptime reports that seem to be a dime a dozen?

I'm not asking to make your thread a place of negativity, I'm asking because I'm genuinely curious and a statement about it would likely head off that negativity before it really starts. I've been attracted to your plans for a while, but the reviews have scared me off. Ignore my signature, I'm not speaking as a provider. Just ask all the other guys around here that I spend entirely too much money with :P

And I choose OpenVZ with vSwap :)

• Well I remember seeing you pretty website years back. Yeah nifty design that's for sure.

A lot has changed since then. A 2GB plan for $12, ho hum. Now these plans? Basically less for $11 or slightly more for $20.

The different port speeds just suck as an idea. They might be useful if folks can actually max those or if it's unlimited bandwidth at the set speed.

Now more and more people are offering gigabit speeds with monthly usage caps. Simple and it works.

What else? The disk amounts seem small and very similar to smaller providers offers.

It's going to take a heck of a lot to respin things for your company and past snafus. Downtime probably being the biggest complaint.

• Jarland, we have done a lot to address the uptime issues, most of these problems occurred because of bleeding edge kernels we used on production nodes in order to offer the latest openvz features and Os templates. We were one of the first hosts to offer vswap and did so before the kernel has matured to what it is today. Please do check out alienuptime.com as we are one of very few hosts that provide such transparency with our uptime.

If anyone has been scared to try our plans I'm willing to offer 20 warp 1 or ufo 1 plans free for a week. I'll post more info on our twitter as I do not want to hijack this thread. These free accounts will not be given out to anyone to prevent spam and abuse but only to people genuinely interested in our services but has been skeptical in the past.

I'll be signing off for the night now but will address everyone's questions/concerns tomorrow. Thanks again to everyone who has provided input thus far, it is truly appreciated.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2013

Sounds good to me. You thoroughly addressed it and I'll be looking forward to seeing you around here more :)

I won't take a free trial offer, but I will be buying something on this new node :)

• Pubcrawler, please keep in mind these plans are just a starting point and the purpose of this thread is for us to get a feel of what the community wants. Your input is very valuable and I appreciate your comments.

• Thanks Jarland, I look forward to being an active member of this great community... Signing off for real now :)

• KVM plans are appealing, but the limited diskspace not so much.

Uphill battle for you guys on this forum and there are a good number of more respected alternative providers at nearly the same price point.

• I would buy something like that:
    OpenVZ:
    Area 51 - 1 core, 51GB HD, 64MB RAM, 510GB Transfer, 100mbps uplink - $15/year

• Make roswell3 $10 a month.

• DeanDean Member
    edited February 2013

How about employing more staff so that tickets are replied to in a timely manner before trying to take on new clients? This is why I got rid of all my VPSes bar one that were with you.

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited February 2013

Mini-review of AlienVPS:

• Uptime +: (been using them almost 3 years, both NYC and Las Vegas. They've had their "bumps in the road" ... but have been just fine over the long haul
    • Support -: Good news is I haven't had to use them much. Bad news is, last I tried to reach them, it was not a good turnaround time.
    • Hardware o: (i.e., 50/50) Older by today's standards, but good enough. Sometimes it is not all out performance that is key. In my case, due to load balancing, I value uptime and consistency much more than bleeding edge performance.

Overall, I've gotta give them a thumbs up ... how many providers on here have you seen consistent performance from for even 3 months, much less 3 years???

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited February 2013

@AlienLayer So few questions, So you have more then 2 staff members that check AlienLayer more then once a week now? Also are the servers not oversold the crap into like before? As I have had a AlienLayer VPS, It seemed like you were trying to be like buyvm to much and failing at that point, That is my opinion Also to top it off you don't even respond to half your support on webrulon?

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited February 2013

256mb RAM but 50GB disk. Good for webhosting purpose.

Offer offloaded MySQL too

• The Roswell 3 is really tempting...

• kvm abduction max plan is perfect. Where is the signup button.

• Oh hell no.