Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

a few questions about the rsync tutorial
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

a few questions about the rsync tutorial

erasereraser Member

Hi

I would like to transfer files between two remote hosts using on local shell,

these instructions seem exactly what I'm looking for https://lowendbox.com/blog/how-to-migrate-a-hosted-server-in-5-easy-steps-with-rsync/

but what I still looking for ist how to rsync over ipsec

What other workarounds/commands I could use to achieve similar results

Comments

• erasereraser Member
    edited March 2016

thanks @VPS_Unlimited

the main command is not really the problem

rsync -auHxv -e "ssh -p 1234"--numeric-ids --exclude {"/dev/*","/proc/*","/sys/*","/tmp/*","/run/*","/mnt/*","/media/*","/lost+found"} root@eraser:/* /Backup/

I would like to know how to use ipsec with rsync.

• FalzoFalzo Member

any comment why you intend to use ipsec instead of ssh?
    only good reason I can think of is if you're lacking ssh access - which doesn't make sense at all ;-)

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited March 2016

ipsec operates at a lower level than rsync. Rsync operates at the application level. So first you establish your ipsec vpn/tunnel and then you run whatever application you like, just as you normally would, and it will use your encrypted tunnel. So there is nothing out of the ordinary that you have to do to run rsync over ipsec.

• Thank you very very much @Abdussamad
    so i have to Proceed like this

First configuring an ipsec tunnel between 2 VPS server
    Sec start rsync

right?

has someone a good tutorial for the first step or he may even write one on LET

• yes @eraser. Google for "ipsec vpn tutorial". But why do you want to use ipsec anyway? SSH connections are encrypted so using rsync without ipsec is perfectly safe.