Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

System76 Xeon E3 servers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

System76 Xeon E3 servers?

shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
edited February 2013 in General

https://www.system76.com/servers/model/jacv4

Any experience with these servers?
Do you think this price is decent? They seem to use good components and offer three year warranty.

Comments

• That is soooooooooooooo expensive. That is $1000 markup.

• For $2.5K I would expect 3 yr warranty, but thats overpriced, server builders are always like 10-15% more then doing it your self.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2013

Well, honestly I've seen worse prices. I've also seen better.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Do you think the three year warranty and overnight parts replacement is worth it just not to have issues?

• No, regardless of the middle man warranty should be available on the parts above.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

You need to have spares, regardless of warranty type. You wont be waiting 24 hours to get back online when s**t happens.

Well, certainly there would be at least one or two spare to swap drives and the RAID card in to. But I just think it's nice they'll overnight new parts for free.

Might be better off just renting the servers from Hivelocity or something... but really that's no fun at all :(

Well, to make money; but there's no point in doing something you're not passionate about.

Rental isn't bad and if done through the right people can certainly cut out some headaches, but you'll need to be sure that you aren't banking on LEB/LET traffic to profit from it in any significant number without high overselling.

Weren't you continuing to rent with Datashack? If that model is working for you I'd say don't fix what ain't broke ;)

• @jarland all of my DS servers have been online for past 2 months without problems, all this uptime is quite worrying. :P

@Jacob said: all of my DS servers have been online for past 2 months without problems, all this uptime is quite worrying. :P

Sexy. I rather like Datashack. That said, I won't be in there competing with you guys, but I do like them.

Well, I like DataShack, even though in the long term I see myself doing more business with Wholesaleinternet directly.

Anyway, I would never be able to make any profit if I rented servers from Hivelocity, SingleHop, etc. for ShoveHost VPS (LEB stuff)... nah I'm just thinking about BetterVPS and profit from that; price is not so important, even though value certainly is.

Sorry I'm just thinking out loud :)

I'm off to write a business plan :) any suggestions... never done this before. But I want to make sure everything makes sense going ahead.

• Did you check www.icc-usa.com? They have pretty decent prices. I buy most of my servers from them.

• I like how the processor you select has an IGP. Out of all the options you pick the one with the gpu on it... It's overpriced by a pretty big margin.

I don't think you're fit for this business, you have to ask the community every little question you have, and then you back off every idea you propose.

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@Kairus said: I don't think you're fit for this business, you have to ask the community every little question you have

I think he's just bored and there is nothing wrong with just a server talk.. you don't need to commit to every idea that comes in your head.

At least he has a VPS business better than some folks who comes on LET talking about starting a business but never do..