Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why isn't the Orient & India cheap?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why isn't the Orient & India cheap?

ajonateajonate Member
edited February 2013 in General

Seems like I can't find super cheap deals in the orient & India for VPS accounts, or even prices close to USA & Europe. What's up with that? Usually everything is cheaper over there.

Comments

• Corruption.

• @pubcrawler said: Corruption.

LOL.
    But yeah, indirectly.

• Transport/FIber is much more expensive, Electricity unstable, usually Electricity and Telecom monopolies, much more AC must be used due to heat etc etc

Yes, labour might be cheaper, but a DC has not much labour intensive work.

• there are some sites, with cheap vps 9-12 dlls, but places like india, iran, egypt is more expensive

• Lower demand.

• There cannot be lower demand when such a huge swath of the world's population resides in Asia...

• OK, looking for a 1 gb to 2 gb memory for $5 to $7 per month in the Asia market.

• @ajonate said: OK, looking for a 1 gb to 2 gb memory for $5 to $7 per month in the Asia market.

Yeah, you are not going to find that.

• @William said: Transport/FIber is much more expensive, Electricity unstable, usually Electricity and Telecom monopolies, much more AC must be used due to heat etc etc

Mostly Telecom monopolies,nothing more.Two companies control the 90% of the undersea landing cable stations.They do not want to reduce even after Government order :)

• But still.. internet is cheap in India compared to many other countries :)

• look, here is some from europe or india http://www.micronetvps.com/

bulgaria: https://www.fitvps.com/members/cart.php

and let me reminder other wich a lot of rare locations.

• FRO5TFRO5T Member
    edited February 2013

I am Bulgarian and if you need help with negotiations (translating etc.) let me know. Our country is taking 8th place in the world for having fastest internet speed, mostly 90% of the people are having 100Mbps internet for 7$ per month, so 1$ is equal to almost 2 leva.

• flyfly Member
    edited February 2013

"the orient"

what is this, the 1950's?

it's called Asia, and India is a part of it

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited February 2013

Asia Carriers need to pay big bucks to US carriers for Bandwidth. They don't have much traffic to trade.

• chihcherngchihcherng Veteran
    edited February 2013

@ftpit said: Mostly Telecom monopolies,nothing more.Two companies control the 90% of the undersea landing cable stations.They do not want to reduce even after Government order :)

This is possibly true. I can only speak on what I see in Taiwan. CHT, the domestic telecom leader with around 80% broadband market share in Taiwan, sells paid peering at NT$600/Mbps (http://www.cht.com.tw/enterprise/iib-rate.html, reference in Chinese), around US$20/Mbps, effectively price squeezing other telecom companies. As the rumored paid peering price of Comcast was US$2-US$4 per Mbps, CHT's peering price seems outrageous.

• Telecom monopoly, inside the country.
    Increasing demand of internet by users in inside the country.
    Overall the per GB price is high in India, but there are still few good cheap deals.

Also all the available IPv4 blocks have been assigned in Asia and not available anymore for fresh issue.

Peering monopoly by other bigger companies outside the boundary.

• there are many factors affecting the price, included political stability, content provider, corruption & unnecessary tax, etc. so its combination between the government commitments and the business it self, its a kind of complicated situation, and no one singe reason for this.

you can not just take directly bandwidth price for end user, into the assumption, if that cheap, things in general should be cheap,

sometimes the bandwidth is shared between users with ratio like 1:4 or 1:8, and most of cheap provider, they always advertise using "up to" xxx Mbps, which in the end, they can get away if they deliver less than they advertise, without any law problem.

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited February 2013

@chihcherng said: CHT's peering price seems outrageous.

I think CHT's cost of peering(international) is also very high. They probably need to pay a lot to peering into a US carrier (e.g. Verizon)

Comcast has a lot of traffic to trade. As a result, actual money paid is far less. The need for CHT to peer with Verizon/Sprint/Comcast is much more than a US carrier to peer with TW carrier.

CHT could peer with Hutchinson Telecom for few bucks as both of them are in a equal position. They have similar volume of traffic.

CHT would pay a high buck to peer with (a US Carrier) as there would much be more traffic flow into (US Carrier) than vise verse.

• Okay how about this one for you then. You say you don't have cheap broadband internet but at least you have access to it, without using a laggy satellite. I don't have access to a broadband connection and I live in Michigan, U.S. I have to use a crappy dial up connection.

The cheapest satellite package is $39.99 a month and only gives you so much bandwidth before they cut you off. I think it is like 5gb a month last I checked. Now tell me why do I have to live this way? Why don't I have broadband? Why isn't it as cheap as I see some of you guys have yours for?

• @AuroraZ said: I don't have access to a broadband connection and I live in Michigan, U.S. I have to use a crappy dial up connection.

It is not about last mile connection.

• @AuroraZ said: Now tell me why do I have to live this way?

If you can't move the Internet, move yourself.

• @dnwk said: I think CHT's cost of peering(international) is also very high. They probably need to pay a lot to peering into a US carrier (e.g. Verizon)

If I recall correctly, CHT seems to colocate their equipments in the US, and try to exchange traffic with US ISPs locally. As the IP transit prices keep declining, to around US$4/Mbps in 2012, the said international peering (or transite) cost might not be so high for CHT.

Even if this cost is still very high for CHT, shouldn't it reflected on both the retail and wholesale price of broadband service? For the retail broadband market, CHT offers 50Mbps/20Mbps internet service (the middle one in its services, which ranges from 4Mbps to 100Mbps) at around US$37/month (http://broadband.hinet.net/fttx.do?s=12, reference in Chinese). Compared that with its paid peering at US$20/Mbps, I can see there's a disparity here. Coupled with the fact that CHT owns more than half of the market, now they are probably using their market power inadequately.

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited February 2013

@chihcherng said: CHT offers 50Mbps/20Mbps internet service (the middle one in its services, which ranges from 4Mbps to 100Mbps) at around US$37/month

Verizon FIOS sell their 15/5 Mbps broadband at USD $55
    Time Warner sell 10/1Mbps at USD $30 [$35 now, just raised price last year]

CHT's price is more than reasonable even in US market
    CTM Macau sells 50/50Mbps at $40. It has similar situation to CHT that is low volume to trade and most traffic involves international peering.

But China Telecom (in Mainland/fuzhou) sell their 10/10 Mbps Internet at about $15 as they could have cheaper peering(volumes to trade) and high portion of user's bandwidth won't have international peering involved(enough local content provider).

• PatsPats Member
    edited February 2013

@graca u are very right about he bandwidth sharing. A very top telecom co. in India advertises 2Mbps and now 4Mbps speed Unlimited. And the definition of Unlimited is 4Mbps speed upto say 10GB/20GB download, after that speed goes down to 256kbps. Why 256kbps? Cuz as per Govt standard broadband is min. 256kbps

Monopoly, red-tapism, infrastructure dev. Not in pace are the main reasons

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited February 2013

My current mobile broadband connection,
    Advertised speed: up to 3.1 Mbps
    Actual/Download speed: 100-300 kbps
    Cost: $10 per 10GB

Cable connection by government-owned firm:
    $65 - Unlimited 1Mbps downstream, 256kbps upstream
    $100 - Unlimited 2Mbps downstream, 512kbps upstream
    $170 - Unlimited 3Mbps downstream, 512kbps upstream
    There are better offers by private firms ($35 for up to 4Mbps), but currently only available on big cities.

• this kind of obstacle is beyond what LEB company capacity. The LEB industries sit on top of other business Industries (Data Center, NAP, payment processor etc).

Let say bandwidth is cheap, we still need to find a reliable data centre, maintaining 99% uptime, payment method etc.

Big internet user is one thing, if most of them is passive user (fb/twitr, etc), they don't even need VPS/hosting, active internet user is actually what drive the VPS/hosting industries.

• support123support123 Member
    edited February 2013

@Dalcomp where are you located?
    @Pats now the minimum standard is 512 kbps.but hardly anyone following.

• @DalComp said: Cost: $10 per 10GB

Is it mobile internet?

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited February 2013

@dnwk said: Is it mobile internet?

Yup.

@ftpit said: @where are you located?

If you were referring to me, then it's Indonesia.