Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lightweight LEB style blog software recommendations
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lightweight LEB style blog software recommendations

pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
edited February 2013 in General

Alright, looking for a lightweight Wordpress alternative for LEB environment.

Smaller is better in this instance. Basic blog functionality including admin, editor and comments wanted. Categories too.

Everything else is optional.

What do folks recommend as some of the lightest, but still usable offerings out there today?

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

sNews and Blite get my votes.

• Yeah sNews is cool too, more of an announcements style software though IMHO.

• Looks like Blite is wrote by a LET/LEB member or at least shopper. :)

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

Yeah, Blite is @sleddog's project :).. and I highly recommend it too :)

• That's great stuff @liamwithers.

Reading the docs now, brief, probably more to graft on. Good to know who to contact :)

Love using things the community creates!

• Blite (lightweight indeed), Chryp or GetSimple CMS.

• Blite for sure! (I used to get it to run on a 32MB SecureDragon VPS until I decided to switch to their Denver location)

• @pubcrawler said: Looks like Blite is wrote by a LET/LEB member or at least shopper. :)

Both :)

• Morning @sleddog. Folks sure seem to like Blite :)

• Anyone measured what the total RAM with Blite is, even on something "busy"? See some numbers on a footer, but unsure what the RAM use there is referring to. Looks impressive.

• @pubcrawler said: See some numbers on a footer, but unsure what the RAM use there is referring to.

It's the result of memory_get_peak_usage for that page load.

Here's top sorted by memory usage on the VPS running blite.ca. The server is also running a few other sites.

PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND                                                    
    26775 www-data  20   0 26440 6868 4640 S    0  2.7   0:01.40 php5-fpm                                                   
    26776 www-data  20   0 26736 6812 4596 S    0  2.7   0:01.46 php5-fpm                                                   
    19727 root      20   0 10152 4276 2292 S    0  1.7   0:00.09 nginx                                                      
    28228 www-data  20   0 10476 3452 1036 S    0  1.4   0:18.13 nginx                                                      
    28229 www-data  20   0 10476 3440 1040 S    0  1.4   0:17.27 nginx                                                      
    26774 root      20   0 26260 2892 1180 S    0  1.1   0:05.89 php5-fpm                                                   
    10775 root      20   0  4064 2780 1360 S    0  1.1   0:00.20 bash

That's PHP 5.4 and the latest nginx from dotdeb.org.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Isaiah said: GetSimple CMS.

I like this one. There's no reason lightweight has to mean that it looks old and too minimal for a minimalist. That being a reference to how I feel about blite, but obviously that's just me.

• I tried blite, its good!

• @jarland said: I like this one. There's no reason lightweight has to mean that it looks old and too minimal for a minimalist. That being a reference to how I feel about blite, but obviously that's just me.

Thanks. I always welcome constructive & useful feedback.

Seems to me you have lots of choices:

• Use something else.
    • Develop your own Blite theme that doesn't look "old" in your eyes.
    • Take the code and fork your own project (it's GPL), if theming alone doesn't satisfy your need.
    • Write your own blog app from scratch.

Cheers and all the best.

edited February 2013

@sleddog said: Thanks. I always welcome constructive & useful feedback.

Now I'm embarrassed ;)

It's a personal preference that I like things pretty out of the box, I'm not "normal" in that way by any means. Apologies if that came off harsh. I strongly dislike Joomla for the same reasons.

• Me, I like simple. I could care less about "pretty".

As long as it is fast and easy to work with, that's great by me.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited February 2013

@jarland said: It's a personal preference that I like things pretty out of the box

Pretty is a personal preference. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder beer holder. I don't think there any universal definition of "pretty", and even if there was I probably couldn't achieve it as I'm not a graphic designer. So in large measure I've simply let form follow function. Which of course raises the question of missing functionality. Whether something is functional or not depends in its intended purpose. And Blite is intended to be a minimalistic blog, not a CMS.

• its not about being "pretty" or not. i think a minimalistic design can be even more beautiful than something that makes your browser freeze during rendering the page. its about functionality over looks with just as much resources as you like..
    I remember wordpress before version 2.3. And in so many ways it was a much better project back then i think. Its a bitch to host now..

edited February 2013

But...you can have function and looks. Just remember that. Design isn't about being bulky. Plenty of minimal things out there that look great. Often bootstrap based. The idea that you can't have form and function on an equal priority is false.

Now some of us aren't great at both, and that's fine, but it doesn't take away from the value of either. There exists more than a few reasons why we dress things up and format them with efficient and attractive layouts, create presentations that are pleasing to the eye based on cultural standards, and why we like to keep things fairly clean.

• @jarland said: Now I'm embarrassed ;)

Re-reading my response, I was kinda blunt. I did not mean to embarrass or criticize you.

@jarland said: Just remember that. Design isn't about being bulky. Plenty of minimal things out there that look great.

Absolutely agree. But creating a minimalist design that is truly great requires a talented designer, and that ain't me :)

• @GetKVM_Ash said: Yeah sNews is cool too, more of an announcements style software though IMHO.

You could probably use it that way, but that's not specifically its purpose. You can really do anything with it, including blogging which I believe is one of its main purposes. I used to use it years ago and the simplicity is great. You can integrate the snews elements very simply and easily into any html template, then rename the html template file to a .php and off you go. Just one php file for the snews engine...

Does require MySQL though..

There are all kinds of mods and addons at the forum too...

The only thing is they have been on version 1.7 for so long that I'm not sure if it's really being actively developed or maintained...

• In Blite how do you divide a post into a teaser and an extended part? That is insert the read more link into it?

• @Abdussamad said: In Blite how do you divide a post into a teaser and an extended part? That is insert the read more link into it?

<!-- -mark- -->

I like Blite - I've made some customizations to it to include pretty URLs, and re-based it on Bootstrap.

• @Abdussamad said: In Blite how do you divide a post into a teaser and an extended part? That is insert the read more link into it?

Two dashes on a line with nothing else:

--

You can insert it pretty much anyway -- the PHP DOM is called to clean up the HTML.

• Thanks. I looked at the code and I like how you are using prepared statements. I guess that will help prevent SQL injections.