Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
RamNode review
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

RamNode review

perennateperennate Member, Provider
edited February 2013 in Reviews

Their service is simply amazing. I've had a few VPS from them for over seven months, and issues rarely happen; whenever they do, they are addressed in minutes instead of hours like many other providers.

Also, RamNode is pretty much the only provider where I haven't had any problems with the processor. I'm mostly running some light game servers that don't use much memory / CPU but do need consistently available CPU or else the games will "spike". I've had problems with several other hosts (only reason I use them is because RamNode only has locations in Atlanta :( ), but never with RamNode. Similarly, operations like upgrading packages take only seconds to carry out.

In fact, the only other VPS I had that had the same quality as the 512 MB SVZ plan from RamNode were trials from Zunicore... which costs something like $50 monthly compared to $4.88 monthly. Going to try out BuyVM though.

Consistent 16 MB/s download is also nice.

Thanks for the great service!

Comments

• What's with all the reviews recently? Makes me somewhat suspicious but I know RamNode runs a great service so I don't doubt this review really

• Nick_ANick_A Top Provider

Thank you and I hope you continue to enjoy your RamNode!

@KernelSanders - you doubt it but not really? :P @perennate probably didn't see the other recent one after it was buried.

RamNode: High Performance Cloud VPS
    NYC - LA - ATL - SEA - NL - DDoS Protection
  • @KernalSanders There is no doubt to be had here, Nick runs an amazing service.

Discord: robert#8239

• jarjar Provider

More like what's with the lack of reviews... Should be more ;)

Maybe I'll write one up sometime.

• RamNode is giving the community an awesome service. Their recent $7 E5 deals are a killer too :) loving the new node. Thanks @Nick_A

• Ramnode oversells!

Nah just kidding :) it's good to see more reviews! might have to try these guys out, Nick do you have any yearly deals? just out of curiosity :)

• I don't doubt the legitimacy of this review is what I meant @Nick_A

• +1 for Ramnode. Good service.

My only gripe there is lately seeing some goofball routes upstream.

@ATHK said: Nah just kidding :) it's good to see more reviews! might have to try these guys out, Nick do you have any yearly deals? just out of curiosity :)

Yep - built in 10% discount on any annual payment cycle.

Thank you everyone for your support and extremely kind words!

• I don't think something fishy's going on, Nick just runs a great service.

• I have had a VPS with them for over a year, and I have just over a year of uptime ;)

I don't use it much though.

@bijan588 said: I have had a VPS with them for over a year, and I have just over a year of uptime ;)

We've only been around since last July :/ Something doesn't add up.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Provider

perhaps he mixed it up with ramhost or some other *node?

• @KernelSanders said: Makes me somewhat suspicious but I know RamNode runs a great service so I don't doubt this review really

I'm willing to confirm with a mod or admin my identity (FB or Linkedin). These reviews are real, the service is real. Grab a VPS and see for yourself.

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

I just got my hands on RamNode's SSD cached VPS. Are you sure this is not pure SSD? IO is very fast!

• Another RamNode customer (myself) chiming in to confirm that Nick_A is doing a very good job!

For those who care:
    You can now find me at https://talk.lowendspirit.com or https://www.hostballs.com

Where's the Thank button when I need it? :)

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited February 2013

@Nick_A said: Where's the Thank button when I need it? :)

Try the new thank button:
    Open the member profile, send a message, talk about some 50% discount. :P

I'm here to collect your heart

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited February 2013

I was looking at RamNode before. The only thing that stop me from getting it is RamNode seems to be single-homed at DC. As only one provider is reported by bgp.he.net

Designers: www.linkun.info

@dnwk said: I was looking at RamNode before. The only thing that stop me from getting it is RamNode seems to be single-homed at DC. As only one provider is reported by bgp.he.net

We've actually already ordered nLayer to add to the mix. Should be live by Friday at the latest.

• MaouniqueMaounique Member
    edited February 2013

Really, the Thank button is long overdue.
    I mean,t here is one thing to completely recode a board and completely another to use some available bit of code to patch something with a vulnerability.
    We were promised this for a very long time and deadlines came and passed.
    It is getting ridiculous, I am sorry for the rant on this thread...

On topic, there are many-many happy customers of Ramnode, some old members here that built a reputation, if this review would have been for some new kid on the block, tho, I would have had the same reaction, possibly undeserved :(.

Extremist conservative user, I wish to preserve human and civil rights, free speech, freedom of the press and worship, rule of law, democracy, peace and prosperity, social mobility, etc. Now you can draw your guns.

• This entire thread seems so fake it is not even funny. It's like who can say the nicest thing about Ramnode!! me me me! I can me me me!

• jarjar Provider

@luma Because the price to performance ratio is is clearly incredible and sustainable. People talk up products that continue to surprise them.

@luma said: This entire thread seems so fake it is not even funny

If you have a problem with our services, I'd appreciate a PM or a ticket. This thread is obviously not fake, nor are the positive comments we've received on our latest LEB ad posted last night. It seems like you're just posting here to stir up strife. If you seriously think these people are posting fake reviews, by all means demand that a mod request verification from them. Otherwise, let me know what bone you have to pick with us and I'll be happy to see what I can do for you.

• @luma said: This entire thread seems so fake it is not even funny.

Yeah, god forbid any company could do a really good job right? That's just simply impossible!

/sarcasm off

• Indeed, but you have to admit, it does sound like those dewlance testimonials at times :P
    Personally I also feel pretty awkward when someone goes on a raving review of prometeus, it does look like fakes, but on this thread, so many people and regulars at leb/let cant be wrong.

Extremist conservative user, I wish to preserve human and civil rights, free speech, freedom of the press and worship, rule of law, democracy, peace and prosperity, social mobility, etc. Now you can draw your guns.

• I'd have equally good things to say about @Prometeus.

It's the equivalent to RamNode for Italy and EU.

• perennateperennate Member, Provider
    edited February 2013

@dwnk said: I was looking at RamNode before. The only thing that stop me from getting it is RamNode seems to be single-homed at DC. As only one provider is reported by bgp.he.net

Hm, that could explain why I get higher latency with some random locations, like Verizon FIOS in places in the northeast.

Actually I was just told the nLayer fiber is "sitting on top" of one of my cabinets, so I should have it going soon :)

• jarjar Provider

@Nick_A said: nLayer fiber

• nfnnfn Member
    edited February 2013

[email protected]:~$ dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync

16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 1.27579 s, 842 MB/s

Unbelievable ...

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Member, Provider

@nfn said: Unbelievable ...

Not really, on SSD node.

AlphaVPS - OpenVZ and KVM, DDoS Protected VPS in London, UK | Sofia, BG | Nuremberg, DE | NYC, US and LA, US. Cheap Dedicated servers with fast delivery!

• @Nick_A can comment on the single homed aspect. See the new provider coming this week it seems.

Tinet is peered massively and in Atlanta I do believe. Far from my favorite upstream as through peering they don't seem to be dumping folks off but long hauling them, which is hit or miss on latency and direction.

I get 27ms to FIOS connection in the Northeast from Ramnode.

• @nfn said: Unbelievable ...

I get a similar result with my cached SSD node. RamNode is tops.

@Alex_LiquidHost said: Not really, on SSD node.

He's on SSD-cached according to his recent PM thanking me.

• NoxterNoxter Member
    edited February 2013

@luma said: This entire thread seems so fake it is not even funny. It's like who can say the nicest thing about Ramnode!! me me me! I can me me me!

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2013

Concerning the "fake review" blahblah: I have tested dozens and dozens of providers during the last years and nearly every provider that is regulary featured on LEB and my #1 choice for Europe is Prometeus while the #1 for the East of the USA is RamNode. Persistent and good to great performance over months.

I also love BuyVM for their service and general "No Shit" attitude, but they are still my #2 for the USA.

For those who care:
    You can now find me at https://talk.lowendspirit.com or https://www.hostballs.com

• @Amitz said: Concerning the "fake review" blahblah: I have tested dozens and dozens of providers during the last years and nearly every provider that is regulary featured on LEB and my #1 choice for Europe is Prometeus while the #1 for the East of the USA is RamNode. Persistent and good to great performance over months.

I also love BuyVM for their service and general "No Shit" attitude, but they are still my #2 for the USA.

This pretty much is the same idea of my. Prometeus for EU is awesome while Ramnode is definitly number 1 for east us. I currently got a vps with Buyvm in Vegas but it feels slow because I'm in the EU.

Servitor.io - Server and website monitoring. Free to use!

• I would also like to mention KnownHost/RocketVPS as being fantastic hosts, but they are catering another clientele in another price segment.

For those who care:

• prometeusprometeus Member, Provider

Thanks guys for the appreciation.

Sorry Nick for invading the pitch (thread) :-)

IperWeb & Prometeus, Hosting Provider since 1997. iwStack cloud infrastructure

@prometeus said: Sorry Nick for invading the pitch (thread) :-)

o_O

• @prometeus said: Sorry Nick for invading the pitch (thread) :-)

He's just jealous for not having his own thread. :P
    /jk

I'm here to collect your heart

Thanks guys!

• @pubcrawler said: I get 27ms to FIOS connection in the Northeast from Ramnode.

That ping seems fine to me. Is it not?

Tinet is a very good bandwidth provider. Solid network, inexpensive, well-peered...

Check out my blog at rubiverse.net

@flam316 said: @pubcrawler said: I get 27ms to FIOS connection in the Northeast from Ramnode.

That ping seems fine to me. Is it not?

Tinet is a very good bandwidth provider. Solid network, inexpensive, well-peered...

I'm getting problems at this node on the way from Verizon FIOS in northeast to RamNode in Atlanta: tinet-gw.customer.alter.net

Google search reveals that many other people are having the same problem (that is, many other people with Verizon FIOS, not RamNode).

• Tinet is well peered. But their ability to route in proper direction lately is off in bunch of places. Plus their peering might be in say Ashburn. Meaning start in Atlanta intending on end point of say Atlanta and end up going up to Ashburn and back.

Seeing that in multiple locations with Tinet. Sloppy routing or lack of peering. Neither matters to me. I hate asking for route cleanups all the time.

27ms is actually very good. Peering to Verizon is great. FIOS in general is a rocking network in all ways (my experience).

@pubcrawler said: 27ms is actually very good. Peering to Verizon is great. FIOS in general is a rocking network in all ways (my experience).

Not getting 27 ms, more like 100 ms - 200 ms and very unstable (according to traceroute / ping that people sent me). I ended up setting up a proxy server in northeast that connects client to the RamNode server (which didn't have the routing problem associated with Verizon FIOS), and that actually solved the problem.

• @pernnate, try Tinet's looking glass back to your IP:

http://www.ip.tiscali.net/lg/

Atlanta pop is in the list.

Route might not be the same both ways, but compare.

@perennate - http://lg.nlayer.net/ in case you're interested.

• IshaqIshaq Member, Provider
    edited February 2013

[email protected]:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 3.78546 s, 284 MB/s
    [email protected]:~#

Is that normal? Get more than double with DO.

[BudgetNode] DDoS Protected. 7 Locations (US/EU). Check out our latest offer!