Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedibox 2016 XC, SC and KS-1, Which worth to keep for long term?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedibox 2016 XC, SC and KS-1, Which worth to keep for long term?

With luck and patient, I am manage to grab a XC 2016 last night (they tend to have one available each day).

I was going to keep both SC and KS-1, but now I don't know which Dedi I should keep for personal usage (owncloud, small site, VPN, remote backup, VM testing etc), all three are so rare to catch..

Please help me to decide.

Specs recap
------------
Dedibox XC SATA 2016 €15.99
Intel C2750 2.40GHz
16 GB
1 x 1 TB
2.5 Gbps

Dedibox SC SATA 2016 €8.99
Intel C2350 1,70GHz
4 GB    
1 x 500 GB
2.5 Gbps

Kimsufi KS-1 € 4.99
Intel Atom N2800 1.86GHz
2GB
1 x 500GB
100Mbps

What would you like to keep for long term
  1. Dedibox XC SATA 201639 votes
    1. Yes
      53.85%
    2. No
      46.15%
  2. Dedibox SC SATA 201639 votes
    1. Yes
      33.33%
    2. No
      66.67%
  3. Kimsufi KS-139 votes
    1. Yes
      41.03%
    2. No
      58.97%

Comments

• Keep the smallest plan from each of them and don't put all your eggs in 1 basket.

• VyprNetworksVyprNetworks Member
    edited March 2016

Why not just keep all of them, all are cheap together less than $30 a month use one for production one for backups and keep one idle just in case.

• Keep one at online. Their support has been amazing for me. OVH took over a week to answer a simple sales question last time I needed assistance.

Thanked by 1pbgben
  • Kimsufi take 3-7day to reply.

Online take 1 hours.

• david_Wdavid_W Member
    edited March 2016

As i mentioned, 1 XC is currently available, good luck

https://console.online.net/en/order/server

sorry, XC 2015

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

What I dont understand is, why do the personal servers get 2.5Gbit and the PRO/Storage only get 1Gbit?....

• @pbgben said:
    What I dont understand is, why do the personal servers get 2.5Gbit and the PRO/Storage only get 1Gbit?....

Those 2.5Gbits are kind of standard NIC for their Dedibox 2016, my another post regarding SC has a bit more details. It's capped to 1G when reaching outside. 150Mbit when cross continent.

Thanked by 1pbgben
  • Keep online.net for the gigabit, and a kimsufi for lower bandwidth stuff

• Or wait and get a SoYouStart Atom with 1*2TB for 15 (no vat).

• LOL - I've got KS-2 with 2 TB Enterprise class drive for 9,99 Euro

• chrispchrisp Member
    edited March 2016

david_W said: personal usage (owncloud, small site, VPN, remote backup, VM testing etc)

Sounds like each one of them is fine for you. I have Online and OVH dedicated servers as well and I know how hard the decision is (it hurt a little when I cancelled both my Kidechires, but they were just so useless for me). I even got the KS1 for 2,99€, so I will never give that on up :)

For me OVH is more reliable when it comes to their network and Online is nice for their specials, that have a lot of ressources.

Thanked by 1david_W
  • @chrisp said:
    For me OVH is more reliable when it comes to their network and Online is nice for their specials, that have a lot of

Yes, OVH's network is more stable even its only 100Mb. However, VM testing is almost a no go on N2800 due to lack of VT-x.

SC can do it all for me but a bit slow when comes to remote into the win2k12 VM.

XC a bit high cost for personal usage but it has so much HW power packed in.

It will be a bad feeling if I have to cancel my ks-1 eventually..

• Looks like XC is winning slowly, anyone else want to vote?

• Got 2 Kidechires. Those are valuable.

• @gitreset said:
    Got 2 Kidechires. Those are valuable.

Never have a chance to catch the orange €2 myself (legendary quality).

Another discovery I have today - OVH still has better average speed to North America. 100Mbit maxed out all the time, Online.net is floating between 16Mbit to 150Mbit.

• edanedan Member
    edited March 2016

Have similar price tags

Old KS-3 €14.99
    Intel i5-760 2.80GHz
    16GB
    1 x 2 TB
    100Mbps

Kimsufi KS-1 €4.99
    Intel Atom N2800 1.86GHz
    2GB
    1 x 2TB
    100Mbps

Use my KS-3 as RDP (Windows) and also sync (desktop sync) to my owncloud installation on KS-1.

I will take my Kimsufi anytime. Support? if its software related problems they will not answer it, but if this is HW problems kimsufi is fast enough. The replace my failing HDD for KS-1 with 2TB HDD very fast, less than 1 hour.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

edan said: Kimsufi KS-1 €4.99

Intel Atom N2800 1.86GHz
    2GB
    1 x 2TB
    100Mbps

Thanked by 1edan
  • chrispchrisp Member
    edited March 2016

david_W said: Another discovery I have today - OVH still has better average speed to North America. 100Mbit maxed out all the time, Online.net is floating between 16Mbit to 150Mbit.

Yeah the network is Onlines weak spot. I think they improved in the last months, but for a productive environment I would trust OVH more.

But keep the XC!

• @edan said:
    Use my KS-3 as RDP (Windows) and also sync (desktop sync) to my owncloud installation on KS-1.

I used to have a I3 KS-3 but the NIC didn't perform well so I have to let it go. The older one may be better.

• edanedan Member

@david_W said:
    I used to have a I3 KS-3 but the NIC didn't perform well so I have to let it go. The older one may be better.

My KS-3 using this http://ark.intel.com/products/32209/Intel-82574L-Gigabit-Ethernet-Controller

• Not sure what was the model for the KS-3 i had, but it's lagging badly when i have 2 virtual bridge and a few of NAT rules running in iptables.

• @edan

Just order another KS-2C in BHS for testing.

Kimsufi KS-2C € 14.99
    -----------------------
    Intel i3-2130
    8GB
    1x1TB 
    100Mbps

• edanedan Member

@david_W said:
    edan

Just order another KS-2C in BHS for testing.

> Kimsufi KS-2C € 14.99
    > -----------------------
    > Intel i3-2130
    > 8GB
    > 1x1TB 
    > 100Mbps
    > 

Planning to install Windows? I use the Rescue System to install it (Windows 8).

• @edan said:
    Planning to install Windows? I use the Rescue System to install it (Windows 8).

Mostly likely will transfer my win2k12 qemu images on it instead. Feeling more comfortable with SSH xD

Hope I am not getting bad ping again after everything is up.

• edanedan Member

@david_W said:

You can get Windows 8 for free actually, great for RDP server :)

• @edan said:

Any instruction? xD I don't mind have another Windows 8 on my KVM. Even-though I tend to use win2008 or win2k12 for RDP

• edanedan Member

david_W said: Any instruction? xD I don't mind have another Windows 8 on my KVM. Even-though I tend to use win2008 or win2k12 for RDP

Check your PM :)

Thanked by 1david_W
  • @edan said:
    Check your PM :)

Thanks!!!

• After 8 hours of intensive test between KS-2C and Dedibox XC 2016. I came up with few points..

XC 2016
    Online.net did have network improvement and it's now compatible with OVH
    Up to 250Mbps real speed to East coast, 50Mbps to West coast
    16G RAM
    Brand new datacenter grade hardware (except for the HDD)
    8 physical cores, good for multi tasking
    More peers in the same network
    AES instruction set is a plus for encryption
    Different continent, feeling safer for my backup

KS-2C
    OVH's BHS network has lower ping than Online.net around the world
    100Mbps network cap is still the weak point
    Network performance is more consistent and stable
    Older but faster 3.5' HDD
    i3-2130 single thread performance is much higher than the C2750
    Paypal

OVH has slightly better global network, even-though it's stable but In my use case, I still want the 1Gbps brush advantage. In addition, I am feeling confident to use XC as a spare and backup server. DDOS protection is not a main concern for this type of usage.

I am still keeping the XC at this point.

• @edan

Same network issue on the KS-2C as I had before, sigh.. Not sure if this is OVH network issue or the NIC issue...

64 bytes from ***********************************: icmp_seq=1 ttl=51 time=29.3 ms
    64 bytes from ***********************************: icmp_seq=2 ttl=51 time=179 ms
    64 bytes from ***********************************: icmp_seq=3 ttl=51 time=636 ms
    64 bytes from ***********************************: icmp_seq=4 ttl=51 time=36.3 ms
    64 bytes from ***********************************: icmp_seq=5 ttl=51 time=31.6 ms
    64 bytes from ***********************************: icmp_seq=8 ttl=51 time=31.1 ms
    64 bytes from ***********************************: icmp_seq=6 ttl=51 time=2496 ms
    64 bytes from ***********************************: icmp_seq=7 ttl=51 time=2107 ms
    64 bytes from ***********************************: icmp_seq=10 ttl=51 time=38.5 ms
    64 bytes from ***********************************: icmp_seq=9 ttl=51 time=2905 ms
    64 bytes from ***********************************: icmp_seq=13 ttl=51 time=30.5 ms
    64 bytes from ***********************************: icmp_seq=11 ttl=51 time=2398 ms
    64 bytes from ***********************************: icmp_seq=12 ttl=51 time=1618 ms
    64 bytes from ***********************************: icmp_seq=14 ttl=51 time=1667 ms
    64 bytes from ***********************************: icmp_seq=15 ttl=51 time=1361 ms
    64 bytes from ***********************************: icmp_seq=16 ttl=51 time=844 ms
    64 bytes from ***********************************: icmp_seq=17 ttl=51 time=637 ms
    64 bytes from ***********************************: icmp_seq=18 ttl=51 time=35.4 ms
    64 bytes from ***********************************: icmp_seq=19 ttl=51 time=35.2 ms
    64 bytes from ***********************************: icmp_seq=20 ttl=51 time=32.9 ms
    64 bytes from ***********************************: icmp_seq=21 ttl=51 time=670 ms
    64 bytes from ***********************************: icmp_seq=24 ttl=51 time=35.5 ms
    64 bytes from ***********************************: icmp_seq=25 ttl=51 time=26.7 ms
    64 bytes from ***********************************: icmp_seq=26 ttl=51 time=89.9 ms
    64 bytes from ***********************************: icmp_seq=27 ttl=51 time=34.8 ms
    64 bytes from ***********************************: icmp_seq=28 ttl=51 time=1901 ms
    64 bytes from ***********************************: icmp_seq=30 ttl=51 time=29.7 ms
    64 bytes from ***********************************: icmp_seq=29 ttl=51 time=1445 ms