Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to look for when buying a used server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What to look for when buying a used server?

mawrmawr Member

I'm interested in buying a used server from someone, but I've never bought a used one before. What scripts should I run, and what should I check for/ask the owner to send me?

Thanks!

Comments

• smartctl used to check the disk status. But I highly doubt someone will sell their used drives if they holds sensitive information.

Other than that, it's kinda hard to predict the lifespan of a device.

• Find out the chassis + motherboard and do some googling. See if there are any major issues. Ask for smartctl output as @sdglhm said if you're buying it with drives you plan to use (I'd recommend getting it empty and buying new drives, but you might get a good deal with some decent functioning drives).

If it has hardware RAID w/ BBU then find the RAID controller's command line utility and get a status report from that - see if the battery is still good, etc.

I wouldn't buy a box without IPMI/KVM if you're planning on colo'ing it, just makes life so much easier.

• mikeyur said: IPMI/KVM

All hail to the lord IPMI/KVM ;)