Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

proxmox does not support basic sata drives?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

proxmox does not support basic sata drives?

DapKilnDapKiln Member

I finally got my dedicated servers drives fixed today from my recent sectors failures I have 2x500GB sata just regular sata now everytime I get to the proxmox install it says it cannot find the disk. When I check the disk by making it blink the led they both blink like they are working but proxmox not reading them anyone know why?

Comments

• RizRiz Member

Are they enabled in the BIOS?

• Sounds like a drive issue.

How can ProxMox not support SATA...makes no sense.

• mike0000mike0000 Member
    edited March 2016

Make sure you're not using some sort of fake raid (motherboard raid controller) that Proxmox can't identify.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • emreemre Member, LIR

proxmox does not support fake raid.

use a raid card, or install on single disk then use software raid.

• RizRiz Member

"Yes, I can see the lights blinking."

I bet @Incero is having a grand ol' time.

• @emre said:
    proxmox does not support fake raid.

use a raid card, or install on single disk then use software raid.

Tried using single disk still did not read it.

@mikeyur said:
    Make sure you're not using some sort of fake raid (motherboard raid controller) that Proxmox can't identify.

I believe I disabled all of the raid.

@Riz said:
    Are they enabled in the BIOS?

Yes of course I blinked the LED on all of them.

• RizRiz Member

@DapKiln said:
    Yes of course I blinked the LED on all of them.

Blinky blinkies confirmed.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Funny thing is its the same configurations as I had here https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1611437/#Comment_1611437 all I did was get new drives and now it does not even wanna get to the installation part.

• StealthyHostingStealthyHosting Member, Host Rep

DapKiln said: I believe I disabled all of the raid.

Most likely there is still raid metadata on the drives that needs erased. Load rescuecd and run "dmraid -r".

Thanked by 1DapKiln
  • @DapKiln

Ok, I'm confused.

You state originally that you had drive issues and the drives were fixed (I'm assuming replaced under warranty).

Later on you state the drives are new.

Which is it?

• @globalRegisters said:
    DapKiln

Ok, I'm confused.

You state originally that you had drive issues and the drives were fixed (I'm assuming replaced under warranty).

Later on you state the drives are new.

Which is it?

New drives such as new to me not brand spanking new your overthinking the situation man.

• DapKilnDapKiln Member
    edited March 2016

@StealthyHosting said:
    Most likely there is still raid metadata on the drives that needs erased. Load rescuecd and run "dmraid -r".

Im trying to install an operating system to run commands but the disk are not showing up.

• DapKiln said: Im trying to install an operating system to run commands but the disk are not showing up.

There should be another option in the BIOS where you can select whether or not to use the onboard RAID stuff. You need to disable it completely, because right now it looks like it's setup to use the RAID controller but you have nothing setup in there.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • StealthyHostingStealthyHosting Member, Host Rep

You'll need to either load the system to something you can delete the raid metadata from or look at the foreign view in the controller. Most likely they are listed under there.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

StealthyHosting said: raid metadata on the drives

This is almost for sure the case if the drives are recognized by the BIOS.

• port SATA is setup : RAID or AHCI in bios ?

• @StealthyHosting said:
    You'll need to either load the system to something you can delete the raid metadata from or look at the foreign view in the controller. Most likely they are listed under there.
    @qps said:
    This is almost for sure the case if the drives are recognized by the BIOS.
    @vpsdedicated said:
    port SATA is setup : RAID or AHCI in bios ?

This is what proxmox is telling me.

• @mikeyur said:
    There should be another option in the BIOS where you can select whether or not to use the onboard RAID stuff. You need to disable it completely, because right now it looks like it's setup to use the RAID controller but you have nothing setup in there.

Not sure where to find it in the boot options.

• @DapKiln said:

Not necessarily the same options, but should be roughly the same: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=mmr_kc-0108661

Choose System Options, SATA Controller Options, Embedded SATA Configuration,....

Thanked by 1DapKiln