Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HE.NET DNS Resolvers / Nameservers are down or being attacked?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HE.NET DNS Resolvers / Nameservers are down or being attacked?

I am unable to resolve he.net or bgp.he.net from multiple nameservers.
Seems like an UH OH moment...

Youch...

Comments

• I can still resolve he.net, but not bgp.he.net with my ISPs resolvers. HE's own NS are giving me empty responses...

• It's not just you! http://dns.he.net looks down from here.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

That sucks. I had one domain still on it. No longer resolving. Five nameservers should be pretty decent redundancy.

• Looks like the slaves have expired their records. Possibly the master servers are under attack, possibly they've just configured something wrong.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited March 2016

I can reach them via ping, so it doesn't seem to be some kind of network congestion. But I can't get an answer at port 53.

Probably a DoS which isn't saturating their links.

Or maybe just some misconfiguration?

I still have access to their main site (he.net). And it says "Permission denied"

• dns.he.net down here for me, along with all of my sites that use HE DNS :(

• dns is down. About 1 hour ago all my master zones were gone from my account. Now, last time I was able to check, slave zones were also gone.

Now, the interface is no longer online.

• filefile Member

Same here. I had 1 domain under them (rest were migrated to Fastmail, may end up on my own infrastructure eventually). Thankfully not critical or anything.

• cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

Yes, Its been happening for last 4 days. Averaging 2-4 minutes in a day but today its long

• I can see this now :)

The dns.he.net interface is undergoing some maintenance. The maintenance should not take longer than about 60 minutes to complete. Please try back later.

• joereidjoereid Member
    edited March 2016

@jarland said:
    That sucks. I had one domain still on it. No longer resolving. Five nameservers should be pretty decent redundancy.

That's what I thought, but the servers are replying, just not giving the right information. I was using ns[1-3].he.net as secondaries but since they're replying emails are failing with stuff about bad DNS in the NDRs.

*edit - grammar

Moved the last domain to CloudFlare. About time anyway.

Thanked by 3netomx doghouch GCat
  • Some of my domains started to work since 5 min ago. A small portion of them, but better than nothing.

• Received an update from them via my support ticket :

=======

We experienced some database corruption earlier this morning. This
    corruption was propagated down to our name server cluster. Our DNSAdmin
    team is in the process of restoring zones from backup.

This restoration process is nearly complete so your zones should be
    resolving normally now or soon will be.

• jarland said: That sucks. I had one domain still on it. No longer resolving. Five nameservers should be pretty decent redundancy.

Not really, when five name servers are all under the same AS, same management and probably running the same software and configuration. Yes, there is redundancy, but not so much diversity.

Thanked by 2jar geekalot
  • AmitzAmitz Member

jarland said: Moved the last domain to CloudFlare. About time anyway.

Are you having a free or paid account with CF?

@Amitz said:
    Are you having a free or paid account with CF?

Free for now. I'm not convinced the benefits justify the price short of the business plan.

Thanked by 2geekalot netomx
  • AmitzAmitz Member

I often thought about moving most of my domains over to Cloudflare, but was in fear that they could get p*ssed if I throw 100+ domains towards their free plan...

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited March 2016

Maybe this is a sign to run my own nameservers. What config do you guys use who do run their own?

• timnboystimnboys Member
    edited March 2016

@Setsura said:
    Maybe this is a sign to run my own nameservers. What config do you guys use who do run their own?

I run my own off of 2012R2 using the built in dns server role and I also have failover dns servers on other nodes to pick up if the master dns server fails(as I set the master to be the primary zones and the failover dns servers to be secondary zones).

• @Setsura said:

Other than cpanel-dnsonly cluster and solusvm-pdns, just about to setup with pdns-geo. rage4 paid version is very steep compared to their free one.

• nepsneps Member

Amitz said: I often thought about moving most of my domains over to Cloudflare, but was in fear that they could get p*ssed if I throw 100+ domains towards their free plan...

I have upwards of 200 domains on their free plan, over 100 of which are on a single account. It's not a problem.

Thanked by 2Amitz netomx
  • sinsin Member
    edited March 2016

Amitz said: but was in fear that they could get p*ssed if I throw 100+ domains towards their free plan

They don't care...I have around 125+ domains and all using the free plan. They even answered my support tickets relatively quickly when I needed help (when they were first rolling out their free ssl).

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

This isn't the first full downtime of HE DNS over the last years... they are ok for personal use, but unfortunately no one should expect 100 % uptime from them.

There was also a pretty long time (multiple days IIRC) some years ago when only 1/5 of their NS was resolving.

• Has anyone used dnsmanager.cc ?? is it even a service or just a front end to DNS management I doubt.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

mehargags said: Has anyone used dnsmanager.cc ?? is it even a service or just a front end to DNS management I doubt.

No idea if intended for public use, but it's from a host which doesn't even own their network so I wouldn't touch that.

• I have a few domains with dnsmanager.cc, seems ok, but I only put a non important domains (for now). recently they said they got ddos'd and changed the IP. the cons are no dnssec and only NL location.

• What do you guys prefer, Route 53 or CloudFlare?

• J1021J1021 Member

Grab two reliable LEBs, install BIND and configure master/slave replication - it's all good :-)