Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How could such a concept work out for both sides?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How could such a concept work out for both sides?

VPS_UnlimitedVPS_Unlimited Member
edited March 2016 in General

Hello,
So I am thinking about offering overage ips/ressources as a form of free vps (with a monthly option to donate). These service would be available aslong as the ressources are not required by paid clients however you will receive a 15 day termination note before you are acctually being suspended. I would also differ from vps that are used completly free (aka the client doesnt choose to donate) and those that are being donated to. Those that are completly free would always come with non-reserved ressources and a constant possibility of suspension (still in regard of termination notice) wheras the free vps that are donated to (some average monthly amount or yearly to cover e.g. ip/ressources costs) are granted reserved ressources and ip adresses.

This is a mere concept idea
Please contribute own ideas on how to offer overage ressources based on a free plan including an optional donation system so it would be benefiting for both sides. This means some users who really cant afford to pay for a service are given the opportunity of free vps, and some way to make donations attractive to those who can spare a coin :)

"Uebersapce" has this (or atleast a similar) concept working currently and it seems to work out. So maybe have a look over there, too ;)

Comments

• PandyPandy Member

one thing is, if its free as in register and get it, it will most likely get abused alot.

ive seen that P2H forums seem to work fairly good (20 monthly posts to have 1 active server etc) so its basically free but you still need to work to get it

also, why would someone donate for the free service rather than getting the paid version? (other than just being nice ofc)

Thanked by 1VPS_Unlimited
  • I don't quite like the 15-day termination notice; for most people, they will eventually forget that this is a free VPS that they will be asked to move off after 15 days.

Instead, what I recommend is setting it as a "1-day" VPS with SMTP disabled and blocked to prevent abuse.

Thanked by 1VPS_Unlimited
  • @Pandy
    Check out my concept idea above. Reserved ressources and other things may attract people to donate.

I also like your forum idea however I dont run one so maybe Id do this system with contributions in form of knowledgebase articles or something of that kind :)

@ALinuxNinja
    Thats acctualy a good idea^^

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

VPS_Unlimited said: I also like your forum idea however I dont run one so maybe Id do this system with contributions in form of knowledgebase articles or something of that kind :)

...although people can get a free non-15-day-expiring VPS (freevps.us)

• VPS_UnlimitedVPS_Unlimited Member
    edited March 2016

@raindog308 said:
    ...although people can get a free non-15-day-expiring VPS (freevps.us)

Well didnt know about that, just knew 5jelly and hosthatch to be free but it would be nice to have more options wouldnt it?
    Anyway you sure know how to motivate ppl :) Thumbsup!

• Seems like a lot of effort on your part for a lot of pain,I think you're just asking for trouble. Unless you're talking about serious resources, Even a moderately specced VPS is so cheap that anyone serious about what they are doing would just buy one. On the terms you're offering you'll mostly get abusers - spammers/traffic exchange etc etc.

Worse still as a potential paying customer I'd be legitimately worried what all the freeloaders had done to the reputation of any IP i may get from you, not to mention the performance drag they would cause on my VPS.

If you want to do some good, maybe give free/cheap resources to verifiable good causes?

• @tehdan said:
    Seems like a lot of effort on your part for a lot of pain,I think you're just asking for trouble. Unless you're talking about serious resources, Even a moderately specced VPS is so cheap that anyone serious about what they are doing would just buy one. On the terms you're offering you'll mostly get abusers - spammers/traffic exchange etc etc.

Worse still as a potential paying customer I'd be legitimately worried what all the freeloaders had done to the reputation of any IP i may get from you, not to mention the performance drag they would cause on my VPS.

If you want to do some good, maybe give free/cheap resources to verifiable good causes?

Yeah Im also kinda afraid of abusers but I have just recently found out about sponsorboard and might donate some ressources there :)