Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nearly free VPS? aka pay as you go
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Nearly free VPS? aka pay as you go

jamesmejamesme Member
edited March 2016 in Requests

Are there any providers that sell a very basic VPS for nearly nothing? The cost would be for the Ram, and IPv4, and then you pay for what you use for things like the disk space, and bandwidth? I plan on using for as a VPN, and that way if the service isn't used much for that month, it will nearly cost you nothing, and if you used it alot, you would pay for all the bandwidth you used.

Edit: I'm basically looking for something like Digital Ocean or Vultr, but with a cheaper starting plan.

Comments

• Not that I know of, but you could use an IPv4 NAT LES box (from €2/yr) for this.

What you're talking about would probably end up costing way more than any cheap lowend box anyway.

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • @hostnoob said:
    Not that I know of, but you could use an IPv4 NAT LES box (from €2/yr) for this.

What you're talking about would probably end up costing way more than any cheap lowend box anyway.

I did update my post to make it more understandable. I would want a dedicated IPv4, plus when you are out of bandwidth on the LES plans, you are out for the entire month. The main reason I want this, is to avoid that problem. I am basically wanting unmetered bandwidth, but I will actually pay for what I use.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jamesme said: Are there any providers that sell a very basic VPS (around $1 a month), where you mostly pay for what you use? I want to setup a private VPN (128 MB Ram, 3 GB Disk, etc), and have the main cost being the bandwidth I use. If I use little bandwidth, little charge, if I use alot of bandwidth, high charge.

You can easily find 500GB to 1TB of bandwidth for $1 to $1.25/month.

How much bandwidth do you mean?

• timnboystimnboys Member
    edited March 2016

@jamesme said:
    I did update my post to make it more understandable. I would want a dedicated IPv4, plus when you are out of bandwidth on the LES plans, you are out for the entire month. The main reason I want this, is to avoid that problem. I am basically wanting unmetered bandwidth, but I will actually pay for what I use.

yea that is unreasonable there is no way that a provider would give you a vps for less than $1/month with dedicated ipv4 and "unmetered bandwidth" as to be honest you do realize that isn't free to the provider right? the provider cannot just give them out for free as it costs the provider for it. so let me answer your question real simple the answer is no! not possible!

and hostnoob is right it would cost way more than lowend boxes to start with.
    and neither is "unmetered bandwidth" free but "you will pay for the bandwidth usage" really how do you expect the provider to meter the bandwidth you use just for you to be cheap? and by the way "under $1/month" is very unrealistic and is likely not to make the vps provider anything as that is basically asking for the vps and everything free which isn't ever likely to happen if the vps provider doesn't want to go under by providing something like that and also I don't know your true intentions but to be honest if you start abusing the available bandwidth and then start affecting the other clients on the same node the vps provider isn't going to be happy. and would have to suspend the vps immediately to prevent other clients from being affected on the same node as well. which would likely end up as a chargeback yea this is unrealistic and is very unlikely anyone would take that big of a risk for nothing.

• @timnboys said:
    and neither is "unmetered bandwidth" free but "you will pay for the bandwidth usage" really how do you expect the provider to meter the bandwidth you use just for you to be cheap? and by the way "under $1/month" is very unrealistic and is likely not to make the vps provider anything as that is basically asking for the vps and everything free which isn't ever likely to happen if the vps provider doesn't want to go under by providing something like that and also I don't know your true intentions but to be honest if you start abusing the available bandwidth and then start affecting the other clients on the same node the vps provider isn't going to be happy. and would have to suspend the vps immediately to prevent other clients from being affected on the same node as well. which would likely end up as a chargeback yea this is unrealistic and is very unlikely anyone would take that big of a risk for nothing.

Your post does not make any sense. What I mean't was the $1.00 a month gets you the IPv4 address and Ram. Then at the end of the month, they total up the amount of bandwidth you use, and charge you for that. Basically I'm looking for something EXACTLY like Digital Ocean, something that already exists, but with a cheaper starting plan.

• timnboystimnboys Member
    edited March 2016

@jamesme said:
    Your post does not make any sense. What I mean't was the $1.00 a month gets you the IPv4 address and Ram. Then at the end of the month, they total up the amount of bandwidth you use, and charge you for that. Basically I'm looking for something EXACTLY like Digital Ocean, something that already exists, but with a cheaper starting plan.

good luck with that in the leb marketplace as the only ones that exist like that are using the "cloud" marketing term. and the only good one's are near and far apart.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited March 2016

@Jamesme the only thing that will be anywhere close to your request will be the small plan here it comes with 2TB for 1Euro a month, can't get much cheaper than that. If you need more than 2TB would open a ticket to them or up your budget. There are not many people who are going to sell such a service as you are after, especially here, because to make any money at that cost they would have to be very large (own their own datacenter and get very cheap bandwidth). Smaller operations like found here on LET are not going to have realistic capital to support a service at the price point you are suggesting/wanting.

Also, just a reminder, you get what you pay for, and that rings true even with VPS/Cloud servers.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • @TheLinuxBug said:
    Jamesme the only thing that will be anywhere close to your request will be the small plan here it comes with 2TB for 1Euro a month, can't get much cheaper than that. If you need more than 2TB would open a ticket to them or up your budget. There are not many people who are going to sell such a service as you are after, especially here, because to make any money at that cost they would have to be very large (own their own datacenter and get very cheap bandwidth). Smaller operations like found here on LET are not going to have realistic capital to support a service at the price point you are suggesting/wanting.

Also, just a reminder, you get what you pay for, and that rings true even with VPS/Cloud servers.

my 2 cents.

Chers!

I'm not asking for good or fast, just cheap.

• bersybersy Member

LunaNode have pay-as-you-go system for additional bandwidth ($0.003/GB), and they are more affordable than DO, the plans start at $3.6.

By the way, how many bandwidth do you actually need? ArubaCloud offer 2TB VPS for €1/m, for example.

• @bersy said:
    LunaNode have pay-as-you-go system for additional bandwidth ($0.003/GB), and they are more affordable than DO, the plans start at $3.6.

By the way, how many bandwidth do you actually need? ArubaCloud offer 2TB VPS for €1/m, for example.

I would prefer something in the US or CA, but I didn't put that in my title because its not necessarily a requirement. LunaNode does look good, however it is a bit expensive for the basic cost still, especially since I would be getting several.

• @jamesme, I don't have any VPN needs but I've also been searching around for similar pay-as-you-go cloud services for some of my smaller projects.

Since I have my own reasons for not going with ArubaCloud, I've chosen to consider iwStack since I've only heard good things about them. Their cheapest offering comes in at just over 2euro, but this is without any attached storage. They also appear to have a good set of locations to choose from. Speak to @Maounique about any queries that you may have.

Atlantic use to also have some cheaper spec'd boxes, but they've removed those a while ago.

For stuff that you don't need to host in North America, or don't mind hosting in Europe, there's time4vps whose cheapest package starts at 1euro.

That's all I can think of for the moment.

• @BeardyUnixGuy said:
    jamesme, I don't have any VPN needs but I've also been searching around for similar pay-as-you-go cloud services for some of my smaller projects.

Since I have my own reasons for not going with ArubaCloud, I've chosen to consider iwStack since I've only heard good things about them. Their cheapest offering comes in at just over 2euro, but this is without any attached storage. They also appear to have a good set of locations to choose from. Speak to Maounique about any queries that you may have.

Atlantic use to also have some cheaper spec'd boxes, but they've removed those a while ago.

For stuff that you don't need to host in North America, or don't mind hosting in Europe, there's time4vps whose cheapest package starts at 1euro.

That's all I can think of for the moment.

iwStack seems interesting, although I can't seem to find what locations they offer anywhere. Also it seems like you can only add 30 Euros at a time, which is more then I would want to invest just to test it out.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

jamesme said: iwStack seems interesting, although I can't seem to find what locations they offer anywhere. Also it seems like you can only add 30 Euros at a time, which is more then I would want to invest just to test it out.

Italy (Milan), US (Dallas) and The Netherlands (not sure).

Contact support, they may allow you to add a lesser amount of credit to trial service, they've done it in the past.

• MadMad Member

If you are looking for a free VPS you can eventually take part in a post2host community.
    In short free VPS in return of few posts per month.

• jamesmejamesme Member
    edited March 2016

@andreamada said:
    If you are looking for a free VPS you can eventually take part in a post2host community.
    In short free VPS in return of few posts per month.

Its not that I want free hosting, its that I want to only pay for what I use. Getting a VPS with 2 TB a month is useless if one month I use 0 TB, and the next month I need 4 TB.

• @Nekki said:
    Contact support, they may allow you to add a lesser amount of credit to trial service, they've done it in the past.

They said no.