Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Splitting dedi/vps(?) into smaller parts/VM's
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Splitting dedi/vps(?) into smaller parts/VM's

PandyPandy Member
edited March 2016 in Help

so basically my plan is as follows

1. get scaleway C2S (4 cores, 8gb ram)

2. Try to do this

just the main goal/plan, something along those lines atleast.

Now i have no idea what the splitting program should be.
ive heard of proxmox. other is cloudmin
any reasons to choose one over the other or some other?

also other thing im really not sure about, if im able to split that core into 2 'vCores' or if it even works like that (probably not, but gonna ask anyway)

last, this is mainly just to learn and tinker. im aware of the 'unreliability' of the storage on scaleway but owncloud wont be storing anything too serious, and gitlab wont be the only place i store that stuff.

ty

Comments

• I think you need vmware or virtualbox

• MadMad Member

This is known as virtualization (OpenVZ, KVM, Xen).

• PandyPandy Member

@andreamada said:
    This is known as virtualization (OpenVZ, KVM, Xen).

i kinda knew that much. i was mainly wondering about the 'best' one for my use case
    (proxmox does look good, just remember someone posting that they couldnt get it to work?)

also the 2nd question

@Jorbox said:
    I think you need vmware or virtualbox

dont know about vmware, but wouldnt virtualbox require me to VNC into the mainbox, and then open the right box to configure anything? mainly looking for something that i could ssh into the separate boxes (or atleast ssh into the main and from there configure the additional boxes from ssh)

thanks tho

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2016

If this is all for your own use, just run all the stuff on the main OS. Virtualizing into a lot of different systems is just multiplying your hassle to configure things and keep everything set up properly and updated.

• PandyPandy Member

@rm_ said:
    If this is all for your own use, just run all the stuff on the main OS. Virtualizing into a lot of different systems is just multiplying your hassle to configure things and keep everything set up properly and updated.

true. i mean i could get 2/3 of the C1 instances, and do the same for less. (aslong as owncloud and gitlab can work on arm)

just thought it could be cool to learn more bout that stuff

• elgselgs Member

You may try to install Proxmox on top of Debian, or LXC on top of Ubuntu. You cannot go wrong with Proxmox. I had a lot of problems with LXC.

• cassacassa Member

Don't forget that the C2* doesn't have support for additional IPs

• Proxmox won't work on scaleway, you cannot use your own kernel on reboot.
    You either cannot use virtualbox, it is not compatible somehow with their custom kernels.
    Qemu can work, but at least I could't make to recognize vt-x capabilities on the cpu.
    OpenVZ needs custom kernel, so it won't work.

You can use paravirtualization like LXC and Docker (both are working fine) and you can setup a NAT environment to bypass the 1 ipv4 limit.
    I have a setup with LXC (similar to OpenVZ) and it work like a charm.

Thanked by 1bersy