Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Using Skydrive Pro as self-hosted, personal cloud?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Using Skydrive Pro as self-hosted, personal cloud?

ShigawireShigawire Member
edited February 2013 in Help

Hi guys,

i have used the search function but did not find anything that would answer my question.

I've recently found out about SkyDrive Pro. It seems to be the "cloud" of Microsofts SharePoint 2013 Edition.
Is it possible to use it as personal Cloud for more than 5 Word-Documents?
I got a server 2012 and SP 2013 license because of my MSDNAA membership and could try to squeeze it on a LEB.

Anyone using this SkyDrive Pro? It will probably be totally underused in my case.

Or are there alternatives?

I just want to have my files on my hard drive, and if I were in the mood I could wipe my disk and afterwards restore all files using the cloud-service and all is ready to go again.

I tried ownCloud. Apart from deleting some newer files and replacing them with old versions and creating huge amounts of conflict files it is not capable of anything, I'm afraid.
I tried Sparkleshare - don't like it that much :P

In some threads simple FTP space + WebDav has been proposed.
But I also want to have the files locally stored. I like the idea of "syncing", have them here and there without even have to worry about the "how".

Comments

• If the git side of Sparkleshare is not your way of syncing you should try:
    http://www.syncany.org/

• Syncany looks pretty awesome @wlanboy.

• Looks pretty cool, yeah :) Thanks.
    But:

There are no official releases yet. Stay tuned!
    The first release will be for Linux. Windows and Mac versions follow.

• Yep @Shigawire. The installation docs seem to be Ubuntu specific and 20 steps.

Oh well.

• Two popular syncronization and backup clients for Windows are Duplicati ( http://www.duplicati.com ) and ViceVersa ( http://www.tgrmn.com ). I occasionally use them, and they work. Never used SkyDrive Pro; you need at least 1 Gb Ram for Windows 2012 at reasonable speed/performance, and this could be expensive. I gave up on the "backup on the cloud from home" concept because at DSL speed the backup time is excessive.

• Thanks for the links, @pcan.
    I have 5Mbit upload, well.. better than nothing ;)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Shigawire said: I have 5Mbit upload

I have 100 but doesnt work that fast outside romania and even bucharest. Outside never got more than 50 and usually is 20 and below.
    With crashplan i had bought for a year i had 1 and was impossible to use for my kind of data.

• @Maounique Haha, sounds like you are talking about my download speed..
    We used to get 100Mbit Down here, but most of the time the peak is around 10-30.

The amount of data is not that high, max 10GB.

• Sooo. I just tried that Sharepoint-thing.
    Sucks.
    Even a 2GB KVM machine, hosted on a nearly empty node, will just drown in the memory-hunger of Windows and MS-Software.
    I can't believe that they make money with this piece of .. whatever.

Principially it should work.
    Sharepoint works, setting up "sites" works, so just using a document-template would work.
    And then it runs out of memory.

IIS, 2 worker threads -> 640MB.
    SQL Server -> 400MB.
    Windows itself -> 800MB.

When I turn off the GUI i have an ugly CLI in front of me...
    This would reduce the memory usage by ~ 40% and decrease CPU usage by 30%, but when I do that, I always get an internal Server-Error when accessing the Sharepoint-Page.

I give up here - Microsoft won again. Biggest crap on the market, congratulations.
    It's just not worth spending my spare time on this.

• Did you try Server Core? You may need to install .NET though. Maybe that would save you some RAM.

• ShigawireShigawire Member
    edited February 2013

Did you try Server Core? You may need to install .NET though. Maybe that would save you some RAM.

Yea, Sharepoint 2013 is not supposed to run in "server core mode"...
    However, I managed to get it working in the "minimal UI mode". This removes the explorer.exe and some other tools, result is the same: Memory footprint is lower now.
    Had to tweak around a little with the memory limit of some worker processes, but now it should run.
    However, something is still broken, getting 404 Errors all the way..

Edit:
    Works now.
    I can upload files, sync them, share them, edit them on the fly with Word.
    It is possible to browse them through the Sharepoint-Site.

Really nice, just slow as hell on this machine.

• @Shigawire said: Even a 2GB KVM machine, hosted on a nearly empty node, will just drown in the memory-hunger of Windows and MS-Software.

SQL Server needs at least 1GB RAM, more for production.
    Sharepoint needs at least 2GB RAM, more for production.

So 3GB KVM won't work.

No issue with MS-Software in this instance. Sharepoint is actually great. The architecture is great. It's a highly scalable enterprise piece of software. It's meant to run in clusters and server farms in most cases, not small deployments.

• Probably you are right.

Even a 2GB KVM machine, hosted on a nearly empty node, will just drown in the memory-hunger of Windows and MS-Software.

What I actually meant is, that compared to a Linux server the memory usage is quite high.
    2GB RAM for a Windows machine is its breakfast, and then comes the pagefile.

It's not hard to guess that MS rather focuses on large deployments.
    The Server Manager is actually a great tool, perfectly for remote-administration.

Worth nothing for personal projects, though.

I like the Skydrive Pro thing.
    Integrates nicely into my Windows 8.

Nice to play around with, but even for development purposes quite slow.

Maybe I'll grab a cheap Hetzner once and try it again.