Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virtualmin 256Mb
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Virtualmin 256Mb

edited March 2016 in Help

I've tried to install Virtualmin on a 256Mb VPS but it seems that the installation fails when memory is depleted by freshclam database update.

I've installed Virtualmin 2 years ago and I haven't this problem (Virtualmin base installs via script, and then you can complete via web). Is there any form to avoid spamassassin/clamav or install step by step?

Thanks

Comments

• I use Virtualmin exclusively to host my sites. Regardless of what the instructions say, I've never had any success setting it up on a VPS with less than 512MB. While once you get Virtualmin installed, it will run on less than 256MB. You can't get it installed with less 512MB now. Even with 512MB it can be a stretch. I buy nothing but 1GB VPS for this reason

• BlazingServersBlazingServers Member, Host Rep

Yes...you are right @MTUser2012.

It needs about 512 MB during installation. Then, after that, the RAM can be reduced. Similar to installing Windows Server 2012 on a 512 MB machine.

• nepsneps Member

Maybe you can add a lot of swap for the install and remove it afterwards.

• all you need is 64mb for Virtualmin full installation.

• This page should include plenty of tips and tricks to make this work: https://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/system/low-memory.

I have to admit though, it will be a challenge depending on what kind of traffic you are going to get and what kind of sites you are going to run. For a low memory configuration I'd also try to install NGINX for Virtualmin and get rid of Apache.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited March 2016

Installed multiple times on 256 MB (OpenVZ) boxes, using @mpkossen's great tutorial:

https://lowendbox.com/blog/your-own-mail-server-with-virtualmin/

Running my MX with ~10 domains and ~50 mailboxes, all under 150 MB RAM. This is with ClamAV and all anti-spam stuff turned off, of course. Using text file option instead of MySQL overkill.

This said, I've since moved on to 512 MB KVM's… what can I say… I like having power to spare under the hood ;)

Next step: planning on automating this with Ansible and Virtualmin's command line API, as opposed to manual config using the web UI post install.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • aglodek said: Running my MX with ~10 domains and ~50 mailboxes, all under 150 MB RAM. This is with ClamAV and all anti-spam stuff turned off, of course. Using text file option instead of MySQL overkill.

You've inspired me to do a new version of that tutorial (maybe even a bit more extensive). Added to my list for WHS!

• @aglodek said:
    Installed multiple times on 256 MB (OpenVZ) boxes, using mpkossen's great tutorial:

https://lowendbox.com/blog/your-own-mail-server-with-virtualmin/

I've used this tutorial 2 years ago, but now I suppose the ClamAV virus database is bigger and the installation script crashes with 256Mb

I would try with swap as @neps said

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • @mpkossen said: You've inspired me to do a new version of that tutorial…

Looking forward to this :)

@sergiodelatorre said: I've used this tutorial 2 years ago, but now I suppose the ClamAV virus database is bigger and the installation script crashes with 256Mb
    I would try with swap as @neps said

Interesting. I'm in need of another MX… was planning on firing up another 512MB MX to try out Virtualmin's command line API this weekend. I'll start with a test run on a 256 MB KVM first and report back.