Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ARM virtualization and control panel
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ARM virtualization and control panel

Hi,
I want to buy a cheap arm based dedicated server. Install it any virtualization and sell. Which panels can run on ARM and what virtualization support?

Comments

• nepsneps Member

Not sure that would be a good idea.

• ARM isn't made for virtualization. Those VPS could be painfully slow if not done right.

• Summer is just a few short months away.

• WJ8888WJ8888 Member
    edited March 2016

@neps said:
    Not sure that would be a good idea.

Why? Now I need one large and several small vps. VPS with great RAM I buy from LowEndPrime. I'll do a little on ARM. The remaining selling or give away for free.

• Arm is not as speed as intel cpu

• @masterqqq said:
    ARM isn't made for virtualization. Those VPS could be painfully slow if not done right.

If I take quad core arm server, I think everything will be fine.

• @Microlinux said:
    Summer is just a few short months away.

and what will happen in the summer?

• @WJ8888 said:

LowEndSummerHostGenerator3000 will kickstart and a rush of (decent) drama will rush and flow into LE*

• @Jorbox said:
    Arm is not as speed as intel cpu

It depends on what you compare it to. It goes without Xeon will be faster.

• @WJ8888 said:

It's the end of the summer that's the problem.

• @Microlinux said:

I need a maximum of a month later several vps but I want to consider offsetting their costs. So I am looking for a solution.

• Well, someone will tell what the control panel can be used to arm virtualization? I plan to use ARMv8 based processor.

• nepsneps Member

I guess no one wants to be indirectly responsible for what you plan to do.

Is cost the only reason you plan with going with ARM? Because while ARM is technically cheaper, the extremely saturated x86 server market means you can probably get the same power for cheaper if you go with a aging (but still good) low end x86 dedi rather than the some bleeding edge powerful ARM server.

If you're really hellbent on doing this, if I remember right OVZ, Xen, and KVM can run on ARM cores. Not sure though.

• @neps said:

Yes, virtualization support on the ARM have. But I did not find the control panel for the VPS on ARM.

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

What I don't understand, is why do you want to complicate things? As folks already mentioned in this thread, get a damn Intel, they're handed out like candy right now, get one at $10-$15/mo, virtualize that and sell VPS from there.

As for the 'summer' hinting in this thread, they mean that you seem to have absolutely no business plan or idea of what you're about to do or how to do it, and your "business" will not last more than a few months.

Good luck.

• WJ8888WJ8888 Member
    edited March 2016

@HBAndrei said:

And then the business? I'm looking for a control panel for the VPS under ARM.

• lazytlazyt Member

Think you'll have to code your own.

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

WJ8888 said: And then the business? I'm looking for a control panel for the VPS under ARM.

>

Sounds like a business to me.

• nepsneps Member
    edited March 2016

@WJ8888 said:
    Yes, virtualization support on the ARM have.

This idea of yours, reconsider you must.

• There is no pre-built virtualization panel that I am aware of that supports the ARM platform, likely because there is no market for it. You would be limited to openvz or LXC at best. It's generally a bad idea.

• WJ8888WJ8888 Member
    edited March 2016

@HBAndrei said:
    @WJ8888 said:
    And then the business? I'm looking for a control panel for the VPS under ARM.

I previously wrote: I need a maximum of a month later several vps but I want to consider offsetting their costs.

Thank you. At the moment ARM is support for OpenVZ, KVM, Xen, listed in order of priority for myself. If you add support for ARM I am willing to buy your control panel.
    Stable version of CentOS 7.2 64bit ARMv8 here.