Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most wanted location?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Most wanted location?

curtisgcurtisg Banned
edited February 2013 in General

Just out of question, what is the location for servers that people want the most?
Please, be realistic.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Haiti

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

The most wanted locations are over-populated already :)

• @jarland said: Haiti

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Don't act like you wouldn't buy a VPS there. Buy a VPS, feed a starving child. Everyone wins.

• Antarctica

• @jarland said: Don't act like you wouldn't buy a VPS there. Buy a VPS, feed a starving child. Everyone wins.

lol, that'd be pretty cool tbh.

• Seriously?

Pacific Northwest remains underserved, but probably still due to limited high latency connectivity options.

Likewise Commiefornia has a lack of diverse options. Only a few places where the provider cling-ons find to make offers from.

New England, Toronto, Montreal ... that corridor outside of the big stupid terror and nature target of NYC. Someplace rural or smaller town would be good.

I'd buy something in West Virginia. Not a single offer anywhere from that state :)

• Space Station. I want a VPS in space.

• @AuroraZ said: Space Station. I want a VPS in space.

• There's a (very small, >40K live there) town in my area that has Level3 run right past it. I called them and asked about bandwidth in an office that has space available. They told me I could get up to 1Gbit of bandwidth to the office... Soon(tm)

• I've tried that route @KernelSanders.

Had Cogent eons ago in an office building like that.

40k people isn't small though. Could probably tap fiber in a town 5 people. The stuff runs all over the place. Never know where equipment exists to tap in or can on the relative cheap.

In my region, no go old telco monopoly mentalities and too much red tape and high cost. Or I'd jump in the market with something.

• @pubcrawler said: I've tried that route @KernelSanders.

Had Cogent eons ago in an office building like that.

40k people isn't small though. Could probably tap fiber in a town 5 people. The stuff runs all over the place. Never know where equipment exists to tap in or can on the relative cheap.

In my region, no go old telco monopoly mentalities and too much red tape and high cost. Or I'd jump in the market with something.

That's why I've never bothered before. It's way too expensive.

• On a more serious note @curtisg I have only seen one offer come out of Michigan. TBH I have not looked into the market here but I would assume there is one. Maybe not though with Chicago being as close to us as it is.

As @pubcrawler said the Pacific Northwest is under served but there may be underlying reasons for this also we are not aware of yet.

I would think of a place more inland than coastal though as the hurricanes and natural disasters seem to be more frequent as of late.

• Agree about the geography vs. disaster @AurroaZ. West Virginia for that reason :)

Certainly need cost effective option for South America. Big continent with hardly any options for reasonable pricing.

• Idaho, good luck getting any sort of bandwidth there

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Well am I working on a California location but it's really difficult near where I live (Fairfax) ... San Francisco could be better but still meh ...

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@AuroaZ I used to offer service out of Michigan then moved to different locations.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited February 2013

I'd second the Pacific Northwest. Oregon is actually an inexpensive location for datacenters since there's easy access to hydroelectric power. That's a large part of why AWS opened shop there -- to give a cheaper option than California. Most major companies (Google, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, Yahoo...) have or are building datacenters there now.

Though I'm not sure what the situation is with smaller colocation providers, so that may or may not mean anything here.

• Yeah Microsoft has a datacenter there. I think they offer colocation (but only for the BizSpark thing).

• RophRoph Member
    edited February 2013

Sealand?

In all seriousness though, I don't see many providers offering out of Nordic countries. Or that many from Scandinavian countries either.

• Would like to see something out of Omaha, Nebraska too. It's darn close to center of the US. Plenty big enough metro.

• I'm with @pubcrawler in that I'd like to see something in the Pacific NW. I have some demand in that area, but have not found a provider that can do IPv6 there yet.

• @AuroraZ said: Space Station. I want a VPS in space.

+1

• @Brandon @AuroraZ anyone for a microsat kickstarter? We could put maybe a VIA C3 in orbit and split it among the entire LEB community... might make the budget cutoff.

In all seriousness I'd like Pacific NW, Japan, South America and Africa

• Mexico, im fighting to make some VPS from there. =D

• @dedicados Let me know if you succeed ... might be a faster time to South/Central America. Any idea where the major infrastructure in the country is located?

• Australia (:

• You could crate an african vps company called 419host.com

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited February 2013

Pay NASA for your 42u to get sent to the international space station ? Sounds like a plan or make a dc on mars ..... There won't be latancy ....... At all !!!
    I think antartica would be cool, in the dc you wouldn't even need air con just a fan