Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Udemy - Did anyone here use it?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Udemy - Did anyone here use it?

VPS_UnlimitedVPS_Unlimited Member
edited March 2016 in General

Heya,
Was just wondering if anyone here is also using Udemy?

What is Udemy?

Udemy is one of many platforms which provide online courses for various topics.
Udemys' courses range from IT to Self Defense and Marketing. It is similar to e.g. Coursera

I am enrolled in various courses and I must say I really enjoy broadening my knowledge this way. I can learn new things at my own pace, wheter it is in the evening after an exhausting day or in the morining in the train^^
The quality is really good (what I have experienced so far) and they also offer some free courses which i however havent tried yet.

Currently picked up this course (https://www.udemy.com/penetration-testing/) and really looking forward to it :)

So has anyone else checked out their courses? What has been your experience?

Comments

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited March 2016

Depends on the teacher to the quality of the course, some are very basic and the teacher is quite novice...

I wouldn't pay for it to be honest, they offer free courses way to often for anything to be deemed professional.

That is my opinion though, others may differ depending on their lack of knowledge of a course.

[Edit] spelling...

Thanked by 1VPS_Unlimited
  • I may try Udemy as i've been looking at them for a bit.

The best coupon I can find is:

march015 (brings course prices down to $15)

Anyone have a higher discount promo code?

• @jeromeza said:
    I may try Udemy as i've been looking at them for a bit.

The best coupon I can find is:

march015 (brings course prices down to $15)

Anyone have a higher discount promo code?

There were a lot of 5$/course coupons in february but as of april (?!) They will have changed their price policy to have 45$ max price. Thus no good coupons soon. Nows your best bet^^

Thanked by 1jeromeza
  • @VPS_Unlimited said:
    There were a lot of 5$/course coupons in february but as of april (?!) They will have changed their price policy to have 45$ max price. Thus no good coupons soon. Nows your best bet^^

Any of the $5 one's still around? Got any I can test?

• DevoniusDevonius Member
    edited March 2016

I bought few $10 courses before, so far so good.

but few days ago they email said they will change their pricing level.

This is their email,

Today we’re excited to announce that we are simplifying our pricing structure to be more intuitive, predictable, and accessible. Effective April 4, 2016, all paid Udemy courses will be priced from $20 - $50 each. We will also continue to support free courses.

You can read more about this upcoming change in the full blog post and our whole team is here to answer any questions you may have.

Evolving our pricing is a big step for our entire community. We couldn't be more excited about the future, and we're thrilled to continue supporting you throughout your learning journey.

@VPS_Unlimited said:

I never found $5 from udemy, I think different country has different price level?

• jhjh Member

I looked at it but found the quality to be a bit low. lynda.com is much better.

• Most of their courses lacks certain professionalism level that you expect from a paid tutorial service. Try Lynda.com.

• Some youtube tutorials i've seen are much better or are on par with most udemy courses , (particularly programming related ones i used a few years back)

• I use it sometimes since I'm noob.

• Is lynda that good? Will surely give it a go :)
    @Devenious i googled "udemy coupons" at this time and got a 300$ course for 5$ all further purchases on that day 15$ :)

• I have a single paid course on Udemy, and it's certainly been worth the $10 I paid for it. It's not a technology-related one, though, but a Guitar course, which has been very useful in helping me learn some music theory, and more importantly, motivate me to go study those things by myself from other sources.

As for the technology/programming ones, I agree that many of them -- from the ones I have seen, naturally -- don't really seem to have much you can't easily find by doing a simple Google search, so I wouldn't really be willing spending any money on them.

• @qrwteyrutiyoup said:
    I have a single paid course on Udemy, and it's certainly been worth the $10 I paid for it. It's not a technology-related one, though, but a Guitar course, which has been very useful in helping me learn some music theory, and more importantly, motivate me to go study those things by myself from other sources.

As for the technology/programming ones, I agree that many of them -- from the ones I have seen, naturally -- don't really seem to have much you can't easily find by doing a simple Google search, so I wouldn't really be willing spending any money on them.

Now speaking about the courses I take I do not have a solid prefund knowledge so I wouldnt be able to judge the complexity. HOWEVER what I can say is the courses I have enlisted so far were great in terms of understanding (the teachers explained everything thoroughly and it wouldve been easy to understand even for people who are not into the topic at all) and what makes the difference having a course than looking it all up yourself (which you theoretically surely could do), is that the teachers motivate you to continue the course, and of course you already have some kind of concept behind it all (meaning it builds up to another). Even in school I have always lacked motivation in certain subjects as the teachers were just not what Id call ambitious nor motivating. I also tried codecademy (free). I really like it and it keeps me motivated similar to udemy :) However with udemy the teachers and community are also responding to all my questions regarding the course whereas in some forums you are treated kinda bad if you ask noobish questions.
    So for me there is more to udemy courses than just the deliverance of knowledge. But maybe thats just me^^