Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EaseVPS experience
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

EaseVPS experience

causecause Member
edited February 2013 in Providers

Thanks to LowEndTalk users, I got some nice LEB these months.
but unfortunately, also got one $15/y from EaseVPS UK node.

On my first week, they changed IP after huge downtime because of DDoSes. It might be a temporal solution to mitigate DDoS but I don't think it was proper way.

After that, I'm receiveing "Service Down Alert" from their monitoring system about once a day. http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/7666/false-service-down-alert
@Jacob said they are false alert or only a few minutes outage caused by DDoS. however my munin masters report there were network outage when alerts was sent. He doubt I forged the alerts but I could not get why did not log each mail he sent on his server side.

and today,
https://www.dropbox.com/s/imcp5ifz2ss7fvj/ping_packetloss_overview-pinpoint=1360220954,1360254029.png

This has been resolved, the server went offline at 9:18 AM (GMT) and we got it back online at 11:26 AM (GMT). 2 Hours and 8 Minutes Downtime.

We wouldn't be able to issue SLA Credits for this downtime, since it was due to multiple hardware failures. (RAID Controller needed to be replaced, and then we swapped it out to another chassis, I think the PCI-e slots are faulty on the motherboard).

btw, my IP is in a /24 full of spammer rdns entries. Who forgot to clear PTR before assign to new clients?

Thanked by 1CableChief

Comments

• AsadAsad Member
    edited February 2013

Sorry to hear that @cause

Should have gone with a better provider, I'd check out the community reviews/feedback on hosts before choosing one

• JacobJacob Member
    edited February 2013

@cause We can speak privately, this was totally unneccessary.

• @cause did you open support tickets with them?

• @Jacob said: this was totally unneccessary.

Not really. He had the right to post this.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Jacob said: Keep the drama coming... ;-)

• ebay servers die out too quickly? or renting from david?

• @Damian said: @cause did you open support tickets with them?

discussed via mail and tickets. My horrible English might confuse him (and you) but I think I have already gave him all information required to confirm these issues.

• AsadAsad Member
    edited February 2013

@Jacob How is it unnecessary? He's been a customer for a while, and he's posting a review of how he feels about the service he's received.

Covering this up and asking to speak privately on every bad review and comment someone posts about you only makes it look worse.

@cause said: discussed via mail and tickets. My horrible English might confuse him (and you) but I think I have already gave him all information required to confirm these issues.

Any outcome to the tickets?

• @cause

Your English is fine :)

• The series of events is as follows:

9:18 AM - Power trips
    9:20 AM - Server Rebooted ( RAID Array not detected )

After taking the server out and trying all 3 PCI Slots, and even without the PCI Riser, no luck. We then put the drives, and a new RAID Controller with the BBU into the new chassis.

We had a short delay between the server power on and it actually appearing as available due to mac address change and KVM not loading on my lappy.

Finally got this up at 11:26 AM, we also took this oppertunity to replace the RAM with the new 4GB sticks that arrived a couple of days ago.

(During the chassis swap out we also had to move the CPUs, so consider that aswell).

Pretty sure OP also left the ticket he opened unanswered after our reply.

Sent from my phone so excuse any mistakes.

• That is pretty crazy that you can do all of those swaps during school.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited February 2013

The main concern for @cause is the monitoring alerts, which if he doesn't cooperate in the ticket then theres not much that can be done.(Apologies, if I have this wrong).

If @cause wants to leave this untill near the end of the month and then provide a update for all you curious lurkers.

Updates was provided on twitter http://twitter.com/easevps && http://easestatus.com - RFO linked on the maintenance.

• @Jacob said: Pretty sure OP also left the ticket he opened unanswered after our reply.

you meant it?

I'm not sure on this, I did check the logs of alerts yesterday when I seen this ticket, and did not notice a email being sent out. I can exclude your account from the monitoring if you wish, or we can try and circumvent this by adding a rule to by default allow all connections from our monitoring IP Address(If you have not done so already).

I know you are just trying to stop recieving these false alerts, but the aim is to make this service useful to everyone so more diagnosing can help improve our monitoring system.
    Best Regards,
    Jacob R.

If I had not answered any important information, could you kindly point which reply and what you need?

• Hi @cause, I'm happy to resolve any issues you have either in a ticket or via PM, but I'm not discussing any further in this thread.

• @Jacob said: Hi @cause, I'm happy to resolve any issues you have either in a ticket or via PM, but I'm not discussing any further in this thread.

It would be better press if you would just fix this publicly now, I for now think you have something to hide.

Seems pretty well solved to me. Short of needing to clean rDNS entries. Who among us can say we've never had that moment where we go "crap, I really should be deleting old rDNS entries."

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2013

@ztec said: I for now think you have something to hide.

Most people will think that after reading so far.
    From past experience I can say that being open about outages and problems does more good than bad, while refusing to discuss it can create a problem even if there is none.
    Dont take this personally, It is just an observation.

• @Maounique said: Dont take this personally, It is just an observation.

Exactly what I was thinking.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited February 2013

AsadHaider said "How is it unnecessary? He's been a customer for a while, and he's posting a review of how he feels about the service he's received."

"Covering this up and asking to speak privately on every bad review and comment someone posts about you only makes it look worse."

You're assuming that LET's primary purpose is to offer a place for users and hosts to discuss their experiences (both pro and con) with VPS's and hosts rather than a place for hosts to market their offerings and get high ranking backlinks to their sites. :P

Jacob said "We then put the drives, and a new RAID Controller with the BBU into the new chassis."
    "(During the chassis swap out we also had to move the CPUs, so consider that aswell)."
    " we also took this oppertunity to replace the RAM with the new 4GB sticks that arrived a couple of days ago."

Did you take the opportunity to run memtest, cputest, smart test, or do any stress testing/burn-in testing after replacing all that hardware?

• JacobJacob Member
    edited February 2013

Hi, @DomainBop the RAM is brand new HP, 16 sticks of 4GB. We're going to get the old controller and retest that in a couple of days. The RAM we replaced had already been tested.

Thanks @ztec and @Maounique I just didn't like the direction this was going in, but it seems back ontrack now.

• @Jacob said: 16 sticks of 4GB

8GB modules are the norm these days and 16GB aren't uncommon either. Are you using an older DDR version? v1 or v2?

• @Mitchell PC2-5300P 667Mhz.

• again, I got an alert today. My own munin servers also confirm huge packetloss and failed to fetch data from node.
    I have over 20 alert messages in my inbox (exclude over 40 alerts on first week). Even if each outage was ~3min, overall downtime breaks 99.9% SLA.

@AsadHaider said: Any outcome to the tickets?

Once I claimed >3hours network outage (2013-01-21T16:30+0900 to 2013-01-21T22:00+0900) with graph, he denied it without any proof nor log.

Just spoke with the datacenter, and they say there has been a number of denial of service attacks in Coventry, but not for 3 hours, and CV1 has not been down for 3 hours this month, around 10 minutes maximum.

• @cause said: My own munin servers also confirm huge packetloss

What plugin does this?

@cause said: he denied it without any proof nor log.

Interesting, I have things like this I can show customers:

@Jacob, get with me and I'll set you up with the same monitoring system, so you have something to show clients.

• @Damian what system is that?

• It's just not possible and other customers are not seeing this. I have some stuff to do but when i get back to my desk I'll show the proof you requested.

I've been known to deny downtime without showing proof. Sometimes I don't have time to compile the evidence every time someone has an issue that I can't resolve. It isn't intended to be rude or anything, and I'm always polite about it. But with uptime robot, pingdom, and munin running I'm going to know about downtime. I'd give @Jacob the benefit of the doubt. Being honest about issues builds good client relations and I doubt he disagrees with that.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@Damian where do i buy that? It looks like a great monitoring solution!

• causecause Member
    edited February 2013

@Damian said: What plugin does this?

https://github.com/munin-monitoring/contrib/tree/master/plugins/network/ping

He did not log even when he sent the alerts to client. At first, he doubt what I got from his monitoring system.
    I could not give absolute trust to who do not know what one did.

@Voss said: Like going to High School? Juggling high school, catering to your clients, and keeping things under control must be no easy feat.

Can't be any harder than working 1 full time job, 1 part time job, 1 on call part time job, and running a host.