Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to setup quick/good SMTP server for site hosted on different server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to setup quick/good SMTP server for site hosted on different server?

postcdpostcd Member

Hello,

site is hosted on one server and when i need to send email via SMTP from different server, how to go about this so Gmail and Outlook do not mark my mails as SPAM?

Curious if anyone know about any tutorial, i tried to Google, but do not know correct phrasses to find what i need. (basic and quick smtp server setup while making it friendly to mailservers like Gmail.

Thx

Comments

• add ip of different server for 'spf' in dns setting.

• Correct TXT records, MX records and check that the IP isn't on a spamdb.
    I recommend iredmail as an email server as it's quick install and simple user panel make it very easy to use.

• mailcow ?

• If you have an MTA (like Postfix, etc.) on the web server, you can configure it to relay mail to another SMTP server. (A quick Google search for configuring Postfix as a relay will get you some results.)

Applications using PHP, etc. can be configured to connect directly to other SMTP servers for delivery as well. Thereby eliminating the need for an MTA to be installed on the web server. (For example, WordPress allows one to hook via a plugin the mail delivery and specify SMTP credentials.)

As others have mentioned, valid SPF records are a must for Google and Microsoft (and many others, as well).

• tommytommy Member

Another shit. Keep asking

• @tommy, I finally see what you mean about this guy! Lots of different threads with little to no interaction from him.

• yep, you can make a kb of 'em

• Honestly, if you want proper delivery I would purchase an SMTP (sendgrid.com) or mail service (mxroute.com).

Might want to take a look at this interesting thread: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2115257.