Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSI Megaraid -> Software / mdadm RAID
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LSI Megaraid -> Software / mdadm RAID

leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

Hello,

I have a server with LSI megaraid and 12 drives. I want to use mdadm RAID instead of hardware RAID (not really a fan of hardware RAID). I removed all virtual drives but the drives are not visible to the OS directly.

How would I go about achieving this ?

Ishan

Comments

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

You need to configure your disks as JBOD. If your controller does not support this mode, just create RAID-0 array for every disk on itself.

• Which LSI controller? Some can be reflashed with the IT firmware.

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

@exception0x876 said:
    You need to configure your disks as JBOD. If your controller does not support this mode, just create RAID-0 array for every disk on itself.

Thanks, doesn't look like it supports JBOD so I went ahead with your RAID0 option - http://ehaselwanter.com/en/blog/2012/11/26/MegaRaid-as-fake-JBOD-for-swift/

@MarkTurner said:
    Which LSI controller? Some can be reflashed with the IT firmware.

I already am in OS installation phase and I don't recall the exact controller model number. Its inbuilt with a Huawei RH2288H V2 server that my vendor sent for testing. We are a Supermicro + SW RAID only shop so trying this out for the first time :)

• @leapswitch said:

Bear in mind doing the Raid0 option will hide some information from the OS of the physical drive, so may have some effect depending on the FS your looking to use.

@AshleyUk said:
    Bear in mind doing the Raid0 option will hide some information from the OS of the physical drive, so may have some effect depending on the FS your looking to use.

Yes, I believe MegaCLI should provide me with the required information. Will test removal of drives from the array to see how it replacement/rebuilding works.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2016

There could also be an option to reflash the RAID controller firmware with a different one to make it operate in HBA (IT) mode, which disables all built-in RAID features and turns it into a plain SATA/SAS controller which just presents all drives to the OS without any interference. See e.g. https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12767.0 (dunno if this is about your particular cards).