Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Something LEB users want?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Something LEB users want?

RaymiiRaymii Member
edited February 2013 in General

I've won a Prometeus VPS via the show and tell thread :D

However, I want to give something back to LEB since I like it here. So I want to use that VPS for that.

Is there a service the LEB community members want or need, which can run on a LEB? I already provide Free hosted piwik (web statistics) ofer at https://hosted-oswa.org .

I was thinking about Tiny Tiny RSS, but I'm looking for input from the community. It would be preferably a hosted service where LEB users can sign up for free, like piwik or tiny tiny rss, but it can also be something like Etherpad. I want you all to profit from it, not just me.

Comments

• I vote for Tiny Tiny RSS!

• secure pastebin?

• Tiny Tiny RSS and Zerobin look neat. Voting for.. both?

• what would be nice is a uptime monitor. it'd put the vps to good use.

• I was thinking about Tiny Tiny RSS, but I'm looking for input from the community. It would be preferably a hosted service where LEB users can sign up for free, like piwik or tiny tiny rss, but it can also be something like Etherpad. I want you all to profit from it, not just me.

Got several sites so the idea is good, but is it just me er do most sites quit with it? I can't find it on let on my ipad.

• @taronyu said: Got several sites so the idea is good, but is it just me er do most sites quit with it? I can't find it on let on my ipad.

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussions/feed.rss

• How did you got it? It isn't in the footer where it is normally.

• @taronyu said: How did you got it? It isn't in the footer where it is normally.

Vanilla forums' RSS feeds are at /discussions/feed.rss or /category/x/feed.rss

• I never really tought about default links, have never really tought about what software let was runnig. Anyways, thank you!

This is already the second time you helped me :p

• MitchellMitchell Member
    edited February 2013

@taronyu said: This is already the second time you helped me :p

I don't think @gubbyte would call it helping, rather correcting or proving wrong (which he loves to do ;-)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Uptime monitoring, packet loss, things like those.
    Get the test IP or solus, whatever if it is hosted with them of all providers posted in the last poll and keep a statistic. Add others per request.
    For both IPv4 and IPv6 and jitter too.
    That would be fun :)

• @maounique @curtisg Something like this: http://z1s.org ?

• @Raymii maybe something like @NickM openstatus script, but modified so you can monitor a limited amount of servers privately, then if you get ssl maybe do something like you can get your own subdomain like https://yourname.raymiisawesomestatuspage.com/ and can display server statuses publically, make some sort of API so it can be integrated into whmcs/hostbill/etc.

• @curtisg said: maybe something like @NickM openstatus script, but modified so you can monitor a limited amount of servers privately, then if you get ssl maybe do something like you can get your own subdomain like https://yourname.raymiisawesomestatuspage.com/ and can display server statuses publically, make some sort of API so it can be integrated into whmcs/hostbill/etc.

That's not even a bad idea, Curtis!

• Yeah I am +10 for the monitoring scripts even a modification of what you have wrote already @Raymii for others to use in a hosted model.

• curtisgcurtisg Banned
    edited February 2013

It'd be good use of the server, plus it'd benefit LEB members

• @pubcrawler said: Yeah I am +10 for the monitoring scripts even a modification of what you have wrote already @Raymii for others to use in a hosted model.

I've not written it. It is an open source app, from github: https://github.com/fzaninotto/uptime

It however is killing the server. OpenVZ just SIGKILLs it, according to my strace. And when properly limited (ulimit) the process fails to start. A polling interval of 10 seconds is not a good idea, now trying it with 60...

Just tell me how much ram do you need.

• @Maounique as you might have noticed it was topping up 128MB. That is, after about 60 checks are added with a 10sec interval. I'm now changing that to 60 seconds to see how it holds up, but 256 or 512 might help.

Also, holy sh*t 20GB of BW in one night :P

@Raymii said: Also, holy sh*t 20GB of BW in one night :P

Upped to 256 and no worry, just drop me a pm about bw and whatever else you need :)

• I'm +10 also for the monitoring services
    Aim it to VPS provider & a possibility other can join the monitoring effort, just like serverbear but for uptime monitoring

edited February 2013

Something seems to be wrong, those response times are way above normal.
    Measure round trip or the page load ?

• RaymiiRaymii Member
    edited February 2013

@Maounique said: Upped to 256 and no worry, just drop me a pm about bw and whatever else you need :)

@graca said: Aim it to VPS provider & a possibility other can join the monitoring effort, just like serverbear but for uptime monitoring

If there is anything you want monitored pm me or mail it :) The app itself has no user authentication or rights/roles, so I filter edits, deletes and creation of checks with NGINX.

@Maounique said: Something seems to be wrong, those response times are way above normal.

Measure round trip or the page load ?

Don't know which one the app monitors

The check for the prometeus solusvm gives about a 100 ms, and a console ping:

http://z1s.org/dashboard/checks/5114ab7408120fa4100002c5?type=day&date=1360314091511

|---[remy][vps21][~] |----> ping solusvm.prometeus.net PING solusvm.prometeus.net (194.14.179.2) 56(84) bytes of data. 64 bytes from solusvm.prometeus.net (194.14.179.2): icmp_req=1 ttl=62 time=0.217 ms 64 bytes from solusvm.prometeus.net (194.14.179.2): icmp_req=2 ttl=62 time=0.263 ms 64 bytes from solusvm.prometeus.net (194.14.179.2): icmp_req=3 ttl=62 time=0.297 ms 64 bytes from solusvm.prometeus.net (194.14.179.2): icmp_req=4 ttl=62 time=0.273 ms 64 bytes from solusvm.prometeus.net (194.14.179.2): icmp_req=5 ttl=62 time=0.323 ms ^C --- solusvm.prometeus.net ping statistics --- 5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4004ms rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.217/0.274/0.323/0.039 ms

edited February 2013

@Raymii said: Don't know which one the app monitors

Aim to a different page and see if check time changes. For example instead of solus, put board.prometeus.net That is a forum and should load way slower than solus login page.

• @Maounique Added the link: http://z1s.org/dashboard/checks/5114edcf257bd0bc58002622

It is now burning through bandwitdh with about 10GB/hour...

• @Raymii said: It is now burning through bandwitdh with about 10GB/hour...

@maounique
    It is not a good idea to just copy and paste test IP's from leb without removing the /100mb.bin from the test IP url... It should hold up better now...

@Raymii said: It is not a good idea to just copy and paste test IP's from leb without removing the /100mb.bin

Hahahah !
    So this is why it was taking a few seconds to check :)

• @Raymii

As you can probably see now, some uptime bar on checks and tags page tend to be inaccurate especially when you decrease monitoring frequency interval. I've noticed this behaviour on my server but I just don't bother because its for personal use. You might want to check that out.