Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bitcasa out of Beta: $69 a year for 'infinite storage'
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Bitcasa out of Beta: $69 a year for 'infinite storage'

FreekFreek Member
edited February 2013 in General

Bitcasa is like an infinite external harddrive. It's not backup software like Crashplan, so you can just drag en drop files to it.
Bitcasa was in beta for over an year I believe. Check out their pricing here:
https://www.bitcasa.com/pricing

Comments

• I'm always suspicious of things that seem too good to be true...

• Piece of marketing garbage.

The only thing that is unlimited or infinite is the marketing bullsh!t.

• Infinite hard drive? Hahaha, no.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Saves so much money buying things that have no limits. I bought an unlimited supply of gasoline and dr pepper. Nice to not have to budget for those anymore.

• I can do unlimited storage for less than $69/year. Download/Upload speed limited to 1Mbps.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@tehdan said: seem too good to be true...

because they are..

and I can't be the only one laughing at the price, or am I that childish? :S
    Last time I laughed at the number 69 my PE teacher told me "the preps do the 69 all the time".. I still to this day do not know why the flip he said it..

• I am still looking for that unlimited supply of ammo.

Unlimited gasoline, yummy.

Unlimited beer is better.

• according to their website, they are using S3 for storage. So they will be bankrupt before you can say where's my 8TB of entirely legitimate MP3s?

• I want unlimited money, when you can offer that for under $100/yr lemme know.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@pubcrawler said: I am still looking for that unlimited supply of ammo.

Same

• @rds100 said: I can do unlimited storage for less than $69/year. Download/Upload speed limited to 1Mbps.

Must be Crashplan's idea, too....

• They are actually backed up by some VCs so they probably won't disappear any time soon.

• Vulture capital.

Oh they are looking to destroy a market and lock dumbo clients in with big piles of data in their storage.

This seems to be the economic model the vultures seem to know anymore.

• If they are using S3, then I honestly don't know how they will manage to offer even 70GB as "unlimited", since that costs $6.65 ($79.8 yearly) just for storage. Not to mention bandwidth costs.

At least Dropbox does it reasonably.

• https://www.bitcasa.com/signup?
    Internal Server Error

Good start.

• Even Digitalocean could not keep up with the unlimited bandwidth offer I'm sure Bitcasa will follow that route some time down the line..

• flam316flam316 Member
    edited February 2013

I have 2TB on Bitcasa and they haven't been charging me anything (until now).

@pubcrawler said: Piece of marketing garbage.

The only thing that is unlimited or infinite is the marketing bullsh!t.

Not exactly. They have some cool technology behind this. From this TechCrunch article:

And the pricing! How on earth is it so cheap?

That’s the easy part, actually. Explains Bitcasa CEO Tony Gauda, $10/month still gives the company large margins. The fact is, 60% of your data is duplicate. If you have an MP3 file, someone else probably has the same one, for example. Each person only tends to have around 25 GB of unique, personal data, he says. Using patented de-duplication algorithms, compression techniques and encryption, Bitcasa keeps costs down (way, way down, but that’s it’s secret sauce), which is what makes it so affordable. Bitcasa also explained that a freemium model is on its way with less-than-unlimited storage for free.

• Cool technology? Comparing two files' hashes is new?

• Exclusive to beta users

Bitcasa is now out of Beta! As a special and exclusive “thanks” to our Beta users, we are offering infinite storage for just $49 for the first year when you use the promo code BETATHANKS. This is a 50% discount through February, so act now and take advantage of this special price!

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited February 2013

"They are actually backed up by some VCs so they probably won't disappear any time soon."

Here's $40 million in VC capital backing that disappeared into thin air on February 1st:: adbrite.com and here's 10 more VC funded babies that went bye-bye

• Adbrite was good when Pud was on board. Then again F*CKED COMPANY was great. Clearly the advertisers and VC said to shutter that trouble making leaked info site.

After all that shuttering, AdBrite was crap ads and lousy payouts. Always felt like a dirt ball network.

Back to Bitcasa:

And the pricing! How on earth is it so cheap?

That’s the easy part, actually. Explains Bitcasa CEO Tony Gauda, $10/month still gives the company large margins. The fact is, 60% of your data is duplicate. If you have an MP3 file, someone else probably has the same one, for example. Each person only tends to have around 25 GB of unique, personal data, he says. Using patented de-duplication algorithms, compression techniques and encryption, Bitcasa keeps costs down (way, way down, but that’s it’s secret sauce), which is what makes it so affordable. Bitcasa also explained that a freemium model is on its way with less-than-unlimited storage for free.

That's hashing and relationship maps from users to files. Tons of overhead.

I should test their system with 500GB of unique data made up of millions of files and see how they do with that. Imagine the IO speed will be hideous.

And they supposedly have crypto on the files too, which is more overhead.

See they raised $8.5 million. Should be easy to burn that up with Amazon.

• @pubcrawler said: And they supposedly have crypto on the files too, which is more overhead.

This is done client-side during the uploading process.

• So who wants to sign up and upload 10TB in 1GB chunks from /dev/random?

• Not everyone will be uploading 100GB's of data, not sure why you all assume people will actually use all the storage you can get.

Because they only have two plans: 10GB and "Infinite" there will probably be a lot of people that only need to upload 11-50GBs of data and will only casually use it.

Not sure what you plan to prove by uploading pointless crap just to test their systems. Generally in any environment that would get you marked as an abuser.

My 2 cents.

• Is it abuse when you upload a finite amount of data to an infinite store?

• It's abuse when you're uploading BS data intended to unnecessarily test a system and/or trash it.

• It's fraud when you use certain words intended to mislead reasonable people.

Haven't we had enough of the unlimited calling plans, the claims of unlimited data, etc?

This internet bullshit model has to go. People are selling finite everything, except for lies.

There is a limit, be it, throughput, actual physical disk, data transfer maximum over the month, etc.

Bitcasa operates on this funny idea that it's customers are uninspired morons who have the very same data as many other moron customers. While that sounds great, it proves that most folks probably have nothing unique, special, created, etc. worth backing up in the first place. I take it by their estimates up to 80% of what people back up is "not unique".

Even with said reduction due to duplication in mass, a 100GB storage user would end up using 20GB. Meaning a very common ratio of 5-to-1 oversell ability. Couple that together with the fact that many of these subscribed plans go unused or sit empty, well sure they have headroom.

But no matter how many PhD generated patents and marketing bullshit they come up with, there is a very finite limit. Outsourcing this to Amazon is the limit. What does 20GB of disk x 12 months plus the data transfer cost for a year on Amazon?

What does $69 a year cover in Amazon's various storage offerings? It can't be much. We are talking about $5-$6 per customer, per month here on the income side.

• AdducAdduc Member
    edited February 2013

Bitcasa Terms of Service:

We reserve the right to suspend or end the Services at any time, with or without cause, and with or without notice.

Count me out.

• Another golden ToS. Good reading and find @Adduc. These companies hope like a religion that no one reads the legalese.

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited February 2013

@Adduc said: We reserve the right to suspend or end the Services at any time, with without cause, and with or without notice.

Yea yea.. too risky.