Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Commercialmedia woes.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Commercialmedia woes.

djscottwdjscottw Member
edited February 2013 in General

A week ago I ordered a dedi from commercial media. I worked out a deal with Mike over the phone from their sales line. I prepaid for a year. I was given no indication of a provision wait time from the date of order when I ordered. I asked the next day, I was told 5 days. I asked if there was any way to make that sooner, I was told that they would see what they could do. 4 days went by with still no server.. I called two days ago and asked, I was promised a provision date by 1pm their time yesterday. Still no server. I called today, and now their sales line goes to "Your call has been forwarded to a voice mail box.. sorry ... ... ..... is not available, please leave your message after the beep."

This is not a good way to run a business. Here I am, having paid almost 400$ and nothing to show for it a week later, and cant even get a live person on the phone when their website states 24/7 sales staffed phone number.

Comments

• Well this sucks but, I doubt we can do much for you.

• Can we rename this site to "Public Wordpress for everyone"?

• Clearly, I was just posting this to warn others who might be interested in attempting to acquire service from them, obvisouly.

• Oh Im sorry, here I thought this was lowendtalk, where people posted comments about the providers listed, my bad, I should have guess that this was "Post your experiences and get ridiculed by people for posting your experiences"

• Lots of folks, me inclusive sounded the horn about being aware of this company.

I doubt they will stiff you / steal. But you are going to have to wait until they get stock or servers put together.

That said, the company has a mixed prior complaints about slow delivery.

Go read the thread:
    http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/commercialmedia-35-00month-16gb-ram-intel-dual-xeon-l5420-in-ashburn-virginia/

• Note, same company operates MegaColo brand that puts offers out.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited February 2013

"I thought this was lowendtalk, where people posted comments about the providers listed,"

I posted my comment about CM on the LEB offer page yesterday morning (I canceled my order last Friday).
    http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/commercialmedia-35-00month-16gb-ram-intel-dual-xeon-l5420-in-ashburn-virginia/#comment-95939

• thanks @voss Thats exactly why I posted it.

@pubcrawler And I saw that thread. I was cautionary going into it, I called and spoke to someone first, and based on the conversations I had with them on the phone, I went ahead and ordered anyway. And every other call I had made, was answered by someone, and they did a decent job of reassuring me that everything would be taken care of. I was fine with a delivery date of yesterday, and I assumed based on all the communcation that I had had, that things would be taken care of. But now today, their sales line is forwarded to someone's cell phone, who isnt answering. That screams unprofessional in my opinion.

• @zen read post above yours.

• mhuang2286mhuang2286 Member
    edited February 2013

Why would you prepay for an entire year for such a sketchy deal? I would only do that for very reputable and reliable companies.
    I only bought it for a month ($35) and I'm still waiting on the server.
    Hopefully they will deliver eventually.
    ._.
    Edit: I also love that they say they still have stock on that plan... lol...

• How long ago did you order @mhuang2286?

• djscottwdjscottw Member
    edited February 2013

@mhuang2286 Why? Because they knocked off a payment, and promised an extra 500gb hdd.

Edit: They told me that they have plenty of stock, but that part of the delay has been the fact that they have to install the os on each server by hand.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@mhuang2286 said: Why would you prepay for an entire year for such a sketchy deal?

They're a perfectly legitimate company. If you order, you'll get your server, but it sounds like they bit off more than they could chew here. They're not a large operation.

• I canceled mine too after waiting 9 days and still no server. They processed the refund right away but in paypal I have to wait another 5 days for the refund to clear!! a real waste of time..I'm sure they won't steal your $400 cause I see some folks did receive their server but I'm not sure I would prepay for a year of service with a company like this

• This is why you set perfectly reasonable limits on how many units are for sale. Then when you are out let people jump on a future list.

Ideally, you have way more units available than you are showing for the promo.

Never underestimate some folks underestimation of interest and being under prepared to deal with many customers.

• @pubcrawler I dont think their issue is lack of stock. Ive been told by them several times that they have plenty of stock for this sale, and have actually ordered more in anticipation of going through their current stock. However, I was told that part of their delay has been the fact that they have to hand install the os on each server ordered. I said "So why not just set up a PXE server with OS install options, plug it in, set the vlan to your install net, pick your option and go on to the next server, and switch the vlan back to your production net?" ... I didnt get a real understandable response to that question, but did get a reassurance that I should have my box by yesterday... which came and went.

• @pubcrawler said: This is why you set perfectly reasonable limits on how many units are for sale. Then when you are out let people jump on a future list.

This is exactly it.. you should clear up your current orders before putting out new stock as it's pretty obvious they don't have the man power to deploy all those servers in the time frame mentioned..

• Hand installs. Yummy. OS installs don't take that long and even on one shift doing it the long hard old fashion way an admin can do quite a few.

Problem is too many orders, too small staff and not enough hours in the day.

I can't imagine what happens when a place like that gets DDoS'd or something goes really wrong. Server setups are ticketing and half awake people not paying attention (me included). They aren't real time consuming though except for the end customer.

If this company has an SLA about delivery or provided some clear deliverable time/date, then hold them to it. Request a free month to start. Then up the bounty as it takes a week longer.

Me I won't deal with an outfit like that. Too many other options in the industry.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@djscottw said: @pubcrawler I dont think their issue is lack of stock. Ive been told by them several times that they have plenty of stock for this sale, and have actually ordered more in anticipation of going through their current stock. However, I was told that part of their delay has been the fact that they have to hand install the os on each server ordered. I said "So why not just set up a PXE server with OS install options, plug it in, set the vlan to your install net, pick your option and go on to the next server, and switch the vlan back to your production net?" ... I didnt get a real understandable response to that question, but did get a reassurance that I should have my box by yesterday... which came and went.

Or IPMI, but yeah.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@gubbyte said: Can we rename this site to "Public Wordpress for everyone"?

This is a forum . You don't have to read any threads. Heck, you don't even have to be here.

• @djscottw said: I dont think their issue is lack of stock. Ive been told by them several times that they have plenty of stock for this sale

I think they maybe low on stock as well saw a few people only got 8GB of ram of the advertised 16GB, but I don't think they are being charged until they receive their full Ram..

• @earl, tee-hee. No kidding. They gave out 8GB instead of 16GB?

Clearly, they have part shortages.

• @pubcrawler said: @earl, tee-hee. No kidding. They gave out 8GB instead of 16GB?

Clearly, they have part shortages.

yup it's that rough for them.. not sure why they are still putting out new stock thought. I know it's just stock from all the people that recently canceled but really they should just wait till they catch up with the current orders before releasing new stock into the pool.

• After sending an email to both sales and support, i finally got someone to call me back, and I am speaking with them now, They're telling me that they should be able to get my box in the rack and get it provisioned today. We'll see how this goes. I'll reply and let eveyone know if it happens or not.

I do want to mention that I have had no issues with anyone that ive spoken to in sales or support. Everyone has been polite, kind, and acommodating, but it seems like no one knows what anyone else is doing.. I think this company is legit, and above board, but is just really overwhelmed by A) the order volume they received, and B) are experiencing some growing pains from it.. I think that if they manage to get their act together, that they could be a very good contender in the business. Lets just hope they manage to do so quickly, for the sake of everyone who's ordered and still waiting for delivery.

• What kind of boxes are these? Isn't there IPMI?

• Next time someone speaks to this company tell them about the multitude of options for customer installs.

Basic and cheapest, KVM.

• @rds100 said: What kind of boxes are these? Isn't there IPMI?

I think it's supermicro hardware but does not come with IPMI

• @earl there is modern supermicro hardware without ipmi? I doubt it.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@rds100 said: @earl there is modern supermicro hardware without ipmi? I doubt it.

Even our atoms have it...

• @Maounique exactly. AFAIK lll current supermicro motherboards have IPMI.