Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

sshfs on Windows 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

sshfs on Windows 10

Hi all!

Been looking around for mounting remote storage on my Windows machine and everyone keeps recommending sshfs as it seems to give the best performance/results however any post talking about sshfs on Windows has a negative review. I've used Mountainduck and Samba but would love to know if anyone has had success our can recommend something with similar performance.

Comments

• FalzoFalzo Member

samba probably doesn't get recommended because it used to be unencrypted.
    AFAIR windows 10 is capable of using SMB3 /w encryption, so maybe have a look into this instead - esp. if your happy with samba performance so far.

• @Falzo good to know, thanks! but yea, i havent been satisfied with the samba performance and have been looking for alternatives. no luck with finding any way to use sshfs on windows 10

• daviddavid Member

I'm using sshfs with Windows 10.

https://github.com/dimov-cz/win-sshfs/releases

https://github.com/dokan-dev/dokany/releases/tag/v0.7.4

I'm not using the latest pre-release that claims to work with Dokan 1.0, I'm using the older version with Dokan 0.7.4.

Performance connecting to a local centos VM is ok, but connecting to a remote server is extremely slow.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

david said: Performance connecting to a local centos VM is ok, but connecting to a remote server is extremely slow.

Surprisingly slow, or "about what I expect since it's going over the Internet"? Just curious.

• daviddavid Member

raindog308 said: Surprisingly slow, or "about what I expect since it's going over the Internet"? Just curious.

It's shockingly slow. I just tried it again. It took about 15 seconds to open a < 1k text file and about 20 seconds to save one.

• I've never had any issues with SMB over a public network or VPN (which I suggest you use)!