Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Password management
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Password management

Jono20201Jono20201 Member
edited February 2013 in General

Hey!

So I'm wondering what the 'best' password management tool is for people in our industry? I'm looking for something which has reasonable pricing and is as secure as possible. Looking for something where I can restrict which passwords people without our company get access to so they only get what they need.

What solutions do you guys use for this?

Comments

• your brain

• passpack.com

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

KeePass.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Keepass

• taronyutaronyu Member
    edited February 2013

plain text file :3

however keepass looks interresting!

• dashlane

• I've tried KeePass, didn't like it much. PassPack looks interesting however.

• lastpass.com

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

LastPass is the way to go.

• Password Depot

• Using lastpass

• 1Password is great if you want to have more than just passwords like credit cards, and software keys.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Whatever others aren't commonly using, isn't easily accessed, and someone won't be looking for. Consider having something developed and heavily secured.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Keepass, saving file in dropbox folder, sync with mobile==always available.

• 1Password all the way.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

PasswordSafe.

However, I'm not sure how well it works in bigger groups. At work we have a shared file on the network and only a few know the password. We're smart enough to open it read-only and only r/w if you need to make a change. Everyone's PWsafe on their desktop auto-closes after 5 minutes of inactivity. cron job makes a date-versioned copy nightly in case there's corruption.

I do the same thing at home, keeping it on Dropbox, where I can access it from my PC at home, work, or on iOS.

PasswordSafe is free and very good. (iOS is not free but it's only a couple bucks if you need that).

I have 330 passwords in my personal pwsafe, and every one is complex, long, and different.

• @raindog308 said: I have 330 passwords in my personal pwsafe, and every one is complex, long, and different.

You make me fu**ing wet! :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Awkward post of the day goes to...

• @jarland said: Awkward post of the day goes to...

It's all about the long passwords!

• vldvld Member
    edited February 2013

notepad, vim, brain

• @vld said: notepad, vim, brain

Make sure there is "forgot password" button on every site you signed up with, you'll likely be fine.

• A sticky note ;)

• I use Password Safe and can't recommend it enough. It works well if you're on Windows.

• +1 LastPass
    Browser extensions + mobile apps, and your passwords are encrypted with AES256 using your 'master' password.

• 1password is awesome especially if you have a mac

• Lastpass + YubiKey/Google authenticator (two factor authentication)

Why? If somebody keylogs or gets your password safe master password you are more fucked then when they get only one password. Two factor authentication helps against that.

And, if you want to be in full total control of your data, keepass.

• Lastpass + Gauth = Amazing.

• +1 for KeePass. It's free, crossplatform (win/mac/smartphone), and safe.

• mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited February 2013

-Lastpass with a yubikey (or Google Authenticator) :) The two-factor is really important there.-

Already been said :)

• @Amitz said: You make me fu**ing wet! :)

Is a competition? I have 379 entries :P
    LOL