Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Having trouble with rssh
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Having trouble with rssh

Hello,
I am currently looking to deploy a backupserver to which I want to add users that will be able to access the server via sftp and are restricted by rssh. However I do want to allow them to use rsync to remotely backup their data from their vps to the backup server. Following various guides and tutorials (mainly from cyberciti) it still just wont work. I have installed vestacp in order to add new users and within vestacp I restrict them to the rssh shell. In rssh config file I have allowed rsync yet when I try to rsync from a vps to the backupserver using that testuser with rssh applied rsync wont work.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Does rsync work for root/users with default shell?

Thanked by 1VPS_Unlimited
  • Have you tried an SSH chroot?

• VPS_UnlimitedVPS_Unlimited Member
    edited March 2016

@linuxthefish
    rsync works perfectly fine when i use normal users or root users.

@FlamesRunner
    I was gonna..maybe i will try it if this doesnt work :P

• Just copy the libraries the rssh shell requires into a separate directory and set it up from there :)

• @FlamesRunner said:
    Just copy the libraries the rssh shell requires into a separate directory and set it up from there :)

Good idea! Will try that :)

• Make sure you add the following in your SSH config:

Match Group groupofrsshusers
    ChrootDirectory %h

That should confine users to their home directories, but you still need to copy over the libraries.

Make sure you copy over the required libraries -- you can find them by doing "ldd /path/to/rssh/executable".

Let me know if you need anything else ;)

Thanked by 1VPS_Unlimited
  • VPS_UnlimitedVPS_Unlimited Member
    edited March 2016

Everything works fine now, thanks :)