Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who is in the wrong?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who is in the wrong?

Overzold (iperweb) had a raid failure on the node my vps was provisioned on, ok it happens and i'm not that bothered about it. The main issues have arisen since then, in the email they sent announcing the node failure, they mentioned they would provision a new vps once the new drives arrived, but most importantly as an 'empty vps'.

So, a few days later, I get a suspension notice for network abuse from an 'empty vps', I had no follow up email to state a new vps was provisioned and installed, with any details.

I send in a ticket to support, and its unsuspended, for it to get suspended again before I even had a chance to read the response, stating it was used for attacks. If that was the case the first time, why unsuspend a compromised vps and let it run, it could have simply been unsuspended and shutdown, like they did on the following occasion.

Now, I've had a shutdown broadcast whilst logged into the root account, and unable to reboot the vps from within the control panel. Now i'm told it has been suspended again for exceeding traffic allowance, whilst i've had no notice of a further suspension and it still shows as active within the billing panel, nor can I see a traffic limit shown nor any usage graphs as no usage data is available.

I've been told I can purchase additional bandwidth, which I have no issue with doing and I will probably do so, the main issue is with how I've been treated, and whether I am in the wrong or whether Iperweb has slipped up a little and trying to put all the blame onto me. None of this would have occurred if the node failure did not happen, and I've had no issues with iperweb since now.

I understand its my duty to update, secure and maintain my vps, but I can not be around the exact second they unsuspend it for me to then do so, especially when they said they would provision an empty vps in the first place. I expected Iperweb/Overzold to be a little more professional here seeing as they are a brand of Prometeus.

I just wondered your opinions on this matter, as I feel its getting out of hand, and feel like I'm being treated like an inconfident child by support.

As I have nothing to hide, ticket numbers are #167947 and #630503 if anyone from Prometeus/Iperweb would like to verify the tickets.

Comments

• JacobJacob Member
    edited March 2016

Seems fishy, although it's iperweb so I don't at all doubt their legitimacy.

Personally, I would approach them with all the points above, they should be considerate and give you another month of service if all of the above is true.

• r0t3nr0t3n Member

I just remembered, the first suspension was due to an unpaid invoice, which should of been cancelled as in the announcement email they mentioned a free month. It did also mention to contact them to sort it, but I noticed the billing period was already moved forward a month so did not want to bother them and thought the invoice may be sorted out in due time, so that is partly (or mostly) my fault.

I have been speaking with John in both tickets, and he seems adamant that its all my fault, it seems there is no reasoning with him in the ticket. I do not see how I can be blamed for not securing a vps which was meant to be provisioned as empty, and then told there would of been no email regarding details as it was provisioned with the same details.

• r0t3n said: I can not be around the exact second they unsuspend it for me to then do so,

Hmm. Did I miss it, or did you not tell us how much longer than a second you waited before getting to the server. I agree that a second is a pretty short time, but was it two minutes? Two days? Two weeks? ...

• (Disclaimer: All links I'm posting are tracked affiliate links, whenever the provider has an affiliate program. The following post may or may not contain such links)

Based on the original post, Prometeus is in the wrong here. If it is an empty VPS, that means their template is unsecure or they have reused an old password that may have leaked. Also, providers should not suspend a compromized, unmanaged VPS, they should stop it and open a ticket. @Maounique will fix that, won't you?

Thanked by 1vpsGOD
  • r0t3nr0t3n Member
    edited March 2016

@Ole_Juul As soon as I checked my emails and saw a reply to the ticket was when I got to the server, the timeline is a little awkward as several communications was exchanged within that timeframe.

@hostingwazard_net John did mention the vps was reprovisioned with the same details, including the password, so who knows. I have used that password on that vps for a long time, with no incidents beforehand, so it seems more an issue with their template than my password being comprimised.

More to the point, an empty vps to me is a vps with no OS installed.

• Just FYI there is no John, it's the fake name of a Romanian guy

Thanked by 2mikho boernd
  • (Disclaimer: All links I'm posting are tracked affiliate links, whenever the provider has an affiliate program. The following post may or may not contain such links)

Just FYI there is no gsrdgrdghd, it's the fake name of a Dumb guy

And John is Maounique, a capable guy who has been working at/with Prometeus for years. And who cares if his first name is Ioan, Janos or anything else?

Thanked by 2Ole_Juul zafouhar
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

This is why I leave servers shut down after unsuspending them, this is also the reason it annoys the crap out of me when users sign up with 'changeme' or some other top 100 in every dictionary attack.

Sounds like it was a weak password it was provisioned with (your failure) or a template with an exploitable service such as bind or ntp that is to blame (their fault), either way they are nice people and you should probably discuss that with them not here :)

• @hostingwizard_net said:

And John is Maounique, a capable guy who has been working at/with Prometeus for years. And who cares if his first name is Ioan, Janos or anything else?

But why isn't he using his real name? As a customer, I am also using my real name.

• tommytommy Member

@hostingwizard_net said:
    (Disclaimer: All links I'm posting are tracked affiliate links, whenever the provider has an affiliate program. The following post may or may not contain such links)

Wtf? All post contain these text. Put it on signature instead.

Thanked by 1miTgiB

@tommy I did several months ago and it is still there too. It appeared it was not enough for a few people, including one moderator. So be this disclaimer. That said, I have suggested to the moderators a simple and non-intrusive way to handle affiliate links. I hope they will consider it.

• lbftlbft Member

So @hostingwizard_net, is there any purpose to you posting on LET other than to spam affiliate links?

hostingwizard_net said: That said, I have suggested to the moderators a simple and non-intrusive way to handle affiliate links. I hope they will consider it.

There's a simple solution available to the moderators: telling you to piss off with your spam.

Thanked by 2TheLinuxBug jar
  • hostingwizard_net said: I did several months ago and it is still there too.

Feeding the redundancy department of duplication I see

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • Really?

• r0t3nr0t3n Member

@AnthonySmith All I know is the server was provisioned with the same details as before, and the password was not weak, 10 chars, 2 uppercase and 2 numbers, so I highly doubt this was a weak/compromised password and leaning more towards an exploitable service within their default template.

I feel I have tried to discuss this with them, all I'm getting is 'we told you to reinstall, update and change the passwords' which I managed to do on the last unsuspend because they actually shut it down after so was not suspended again by the time I read the reply.

I'm more troubled with the fact that it seems they are trying to pass the blame onto me.

• Ask them to re-provision the VPS with a secure password of their choosing? Imo they should reset your bandwidth for this, it all sounds like it was just a misunderstanding on their part.

• r0t3nr0t3n Member

@linuxthefish I have managed to reinstall the vps, with a new password, and was in the process of securing it further. The issue is now I can not boot the vps from the control panel as they say its auto-suspended for exceeding bandwidth, but its still showing active in the billing panel and with no bandwidth limit shown nor usage graphs I have nothing to go by. Its like I was meant to know that, when there is nothing telling me so.

I also mentioned in one of the tickets there seemed to be some miscommunication, but I'm still in this position.

• r0t3n said: The issue is now I can not boot the vps from the control panel as they say its auto-suspended for exceeding bandwidth

Ask them nicely to reset the bandwidth and explain it was used through no fault of your own, I bet they will!

• @boernd said:

Because he's a secret agent. Sssssh!

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@hostingwizard_net said:
    Just FYI there is no gsrdgrdghd, it's the fake name of a Dumb guy

Now thats just childish behavior.

No one, but the discussion about asking customer for correct information while using fake details on the provider side is interesting.

Thanked by 1lbft