Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you expect from your provider ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you expect from your provider ?

MacPacMacPac Member
edited March 2016 in General

For a Low End unmanaged VPS/Dedi, my question for the community

Do you expect them to help you with your server admin needs ?

If yes, Do you expect a fast assistant ?

also if they didn't assist you, Is this a bad experience for unmanaged service ?

Looking forward to hear your opinions about your provider. :)

Comments

• WHTWHT Member

Unmanaged = No Support.
    Managed = Support

• As a customer of a lot, if not most, of the providers on here (as well as a provider now):

MacPac said: Do you expect them to help you with your server admin needs ?

No. Not unless I'm buying managed (which I wouldn't normally do).

MacPac said: also if they didn't assist you, Is this a bad experience for unmanaged service ?

I'd never ask for help on an unmanaged service because it's not what I signed up for. You know what you're buying, why would you expect someone to do work for you for free? (Work that is normally billed out at $50/hr on the low end)

If anyone expects management on a service that's unmanaged they need their head examined.

Thanked by 1MacPac
  • @WHT said:

sure we all know that but with unmanaged service there is also some kind of support :)

• @MacPac said:
    but with unmanaged service there is also some kind of support :)

Are there control panel/network/hardware issues? If yes, ticket. If no, your problem to figure it out.

Thanked by 1MacPac
  • I expect a Pop-Tarts SLA! @mikeyur please make this your standard SLA ;)

Thanked by 2mike0000 MacPac
  • Just average service whatever I pay for.

Thanked by 1MacPac
  • Of course I don't expect any support for server admin! It's my job to Google stuff or ask in places like here.

What I do expect is that the provider respond to billing problems or reports that their service is not working. As for speed of response, I expect that to be within a few hours or within the day, depending on holidays weekend etc. For the very lowest end VPS, I don't even expect same day response. In the end, the good ones know how to keep their service going and I don't have to remind them if it's down anyway.

Thanked by 1MacPac
  • I just want a good download speed to my area, clean IPs, and 24/7 support for emergencies. For unmanaged, a best effort help is nice.

Thanked by 1MacPac
  • I only hope that the server do not go down or get abuse to the core till it almost impossible to manage.

Thanked by 1MacPac
  • If its related to billing or network related issues, then yes expect Fast support just like any other provider out there. Now if it's to manage my server then hell no I don't expect much, but surprisingly there are a few hosts like imbahost or squdix that will help with miner issues.

Thanked by 1MacPac
  • I don't think I'm owed support if the issue is on my end, but I greatly appreciate it when it's given. Even if it's a link to an article that can point me in the right direction.

Thanked by 1MacPac
  • nepsneps Member

I expect them to fix issues that they are literally impossible for me to fix on my end. Anything that I can do as root, I don't expect them to do for me.

Thanked by 1MacPac