Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raid or not in a server for personal use - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Raid or not in a server for personal use

2»

Comments

• for a backup server you need an offsite backup really, Or at least another box on that network but if you have 1 server then software/Hardware raid 1 or so will do.

• pcanpcan Member
    edited February 2013

To answer the OP question: when I only have two disks, I sometimes go for this solution: a software Raid1 (mirrored) "live" partition that uses half the capacity of first and second disk, and a "backup" non-mirrored partition on the remaining free space on each disks. The backup script does alternate the target between the backup partition on the first and the second disk. If one disk will broke, the server could resume working from the second disk. If some software error or misconfiguration erases the live data, I have two local backup sets. The data is also copied to a network target on another server, once a day.

@Saahib said:if any LEB say because we are cheap but we don't do anything about offsite backup (atleast weekly) then is the one to who will be in my "NO-NO" list.

On some of my LEBs I see the "central backup" button on SolusVM, but I don't trust this feature. Reputable hosts can offer you a true backup solution at additional price, you simply need to ask for this.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

That was intresting to read all this however, based on pcan view, what about making it disk Raid 0 and add one more disk to take snapshop or may be add it in array. That way I will have 2 copies of data as well as better performance and cheap too?