Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone familiar with Exoscale?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone familiar with Exoscale?

BeardyUnixGuyBeardyUnixGuy Member
edited March 2016 in General

I came across a Swiss provider, Exoscale, and wondered if anyone has some experience with or opinions on this specific host? I think their prices seem reasonable considering that they're hosted in Switzerland.

Also, does anyone know any other quality Swiss-based providers? I'm hoping for a KVM provider that provides VNC/console access from boot-up, along with the ability to attach ISOs (just Ubuntu or Fedora).

Thanked by 2cassa coreflux

Comments

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited March 2016

I know EDIS have a Switzerland location and they offer great quality in my experience but I'm not sure if they provide custom ISOs (but they do have ISOs available which you can manually mount)

The only problem is their KVM plans have extremely low disk space.

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • Thanks @hostnoob, I'll keep them in mind for other projects but they're based out of Austria and not Switzerland.

• Ah you're right, sorry. I thought you just needed it hosted in Switzerland.

You can check ExoticVPS, but I'm not sure which are based in Switzerland (and I've never heard of any of them anyway)

https://www.exoticvps.com/country/switzerland

• Exoscale are great! We use them a lot for prototyping and testing

• @MarkTurner, any chance of a benchmark paste/reference including intl connectivity speed? they using KVM?

• BeardyUnixGuy said: any chance of a benchmark paste/reference including intl connectivity speed? they using KVM?

Its all KVM and Cloudstack

I will try to arrange some benchmarks later in the week, I don't have access to Cloudstack to spin up another instance.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2016

We talked about this one on IRC, on the surface it looks like your average DO clone, but if you check closely the bandwidth pricing is insane and convoluted, the "free 100 GB" only apply if you use it as evenly as possible, else it's only 140 MB per machine, and for example to get DO's or Vultr's regular 1TB transfer you would pay 18 EUR just for the bandwidth here, on top of the cost of the VPS itself. Unless you really really need Switzerland, better avoid.

• Great catch @rm_! I didn't see that small print.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

rm_ said: We talked about this one on IRC, on the surface it looks like your average DO clone, but if you check closely the bandwidth pricing is insane and convoluted, the "free 100 GB" only apply if you use it as evenly as possible, else it's only 140 MB per machine, and for example to get DO's or Vultr's regular 1TB transfer you would pay 18 EUR just for the bandwidth here, on top of the cost of the VPS itself. Unless you really really need Switzerland, better avoid.

You are hereby awarded a LowEndConsumerAdvocate Award. Nice work.

• trvztrvz Member

There's no provider that meets all your criteria.

If you want quality providers with more data transfer included, expect to pay ten times as much, but still without custom ISO functionality.

Try to live with exoscale instead.

• Hello,

Just wanted to comment that this has now been upgraded to 1TB free.

Plus, it is aggregated, so for example if you have 1 instance doing load balancer and 9 web servers, all your trafic goes through the load balancer. Then the load balancer can have 10 TB of free trafic as it is aggregated per account.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Great necro.

• You still have to use it as evenly as possible, otherwise you will pay extra.

Means: 1.42 GB per hour per instance as free bandwidth.
    Which isn't that much...