Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Data corruption problem?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Data corruption problem?

propylene22propylene22 Member
edited March 2016 in Help

I had previously run a Dedicated HP BL460c at delimiter for my dedicated game server running a crysis wars mod. The server ran pretty well once we had it up and running however.. The setup was a nightmare as almost everything I downloaded was slightly corrupted. The MD5 and CRC always failed downloads from Origin would bomb out during the installation. I spoke to the support staff about it and they denied that it was even possible. I suspect one of two problems. Delimiter is employing deep packet inspection to prevent torrenting et. or the RAID controller on the boxes are causing the corruption. We ended up having to upload the necessary files 4 times and piece together un-corrupted files form this.
Our gaming community has once again scratched together enough cash for a server and I am again looking at delimiter due to the prices. Has anyone else experienced this? Could it have just been a bad box? Mark any ideas? All insights appreciated, thanks in advance.
PBR

Comments

• MunMun Member

Are you using an emulator like wine ?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Mark Turner perhaps?

I'm sure it was him. He does it all the time, then runs around laughing about it. This is a quote from an email I got from him last week:

lol i corrupted ur backupz

• NO we were running server 2008.

• I only asked for mark as I understand he's an authority on the subject.

• GCatGCat Member
    edited March 2016

@jarland said:

lol i corrupted ur backupz

• jarland said: lol i corrupted ur backupz

I told you that in confidence!

Thanked by 4jar luissousa GCat lazyt
  • jarland said: I'm sure it was him. He does it all the time

Just last week he had someone pull the drives out of my server, drop them, and put them back in. He told me he was "testing [my] backup strategy"....

• MarkTurnerMarkTurner Member
    edited March 2016

I've never seen this issue and never heard this issue. Clearly this is not a network issue, if you consider how many uploads/downloads take place per day this would be a cataclysmic issue by now.

I would suggest looking at how your server is configured, it sounds to me that your downloads are just prematuring stopping.

Additional points we don't employ Deep Packet Inspection and even if we did DPI is not going to cause data corruption.

in·spec·tion

careful examination or scrutiny.

That does not mean interception and modification.

Please provide screenshots from your Windows server showing successful completion of the downloads then the failed MD5 calculation.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • propylene22 said: downloads from Origin would bomb out

propylene22 said: Our gaming community has once again scratched together enough cash for a server

Saw this in the post and was like "yeah this will get somewhat amusing on a beautiful Sunday afternoon"

Thanked by 1jar
  • Mark thanks for the response. I do not currently rent a delimiter server. I had this issue across multiple OSes and from many many sites. I had reinstalled many oses trying to resolve the problem. Do you think it could have been a bad drive controller?

• I am looking rent another server and was wondering if anyone else had run across the issue.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

propylene22 said: Delimiter is employing deep packet inspection to prevent torrenting et. or the RAID controller on the boxes are causing the corruption.

You're missing one more possibility, namely the NIC on the server (or less likely, router) causing the issue. E.g. I had data transfer corruptions with a certain Realtek driver version in Windows. To diagnose if this is a driver/software problem, try booting a different OS (GNU/Linux) and downloading some stuff in there, verifying MD5 sums each time.

• propylene22propylene22 Member
    edited March 2016

rm_ good idea but I ran everything from ubuntu to xen to fedora. Server 2008 was just what I happened to settle on. If it was the NIC it would have had to be a hardware problem as the driver couldn't have been the same across multiple oses. I really want to like delimiter but the experience was so bad last time.

• rm_ said: You're missing one more possibility, namely the NIC on the server (or less likely, router) causing the issue.

With 1000+ HP BL460c in service with Delimiter, I am sure we'd have heard about this from other customers.

• BeardyUnixGuyBeardyUnixGuy Member
    edited March 2016

MarkTurner said: With 1000+ HP BL460c in service with Delimiter, I am sure we'd have heard about this from other customers.

@MarkTurner, maybe you wouldn't hear about it if the support tickets/emails were getting corrupted while traveling over the Delimiter network ;-)

@propylene22, I'd say verify refund policy with @mikeyur/@MarkTurner and then give Delimiter another shot. It sounds like you were super unfortunate the first time and simply received a server with a gremlin for a neighbour.

• BeardyUnixGuy said: maybe you wouldn't hear about it if the support tickets/emails were getting corrupted while traveling over the Delimiter network ;-)

Best practices apply - helpdesk is not on our network :)

BeardyUnixGuy said: It sounds like you were super unfortunate the first time and simply received a server with a gremlin for a neighbour.

It was nothing like that, I have just seen the three tickets he opened and also just pulling the netflows. The server US393675 was in service with a customer for 18 months before the customer moved to another system, and after the OP handed it back it was given to another customer who hasn't hasn't reported any issues.

• I'm not sure if you were referring to us being in service for 18 months or the box itself. We ran it for 3 months.

• propylene22 said: I'm not sure if you were referring to us being in service for 18 months or the box itself. We ran it for 3 months.

You ran it for 3 months, then issued a cancellation saying you were reordering annually.

• I wonder if delimiter does any sort of data inspection/logging, people on LET have had their servers suspended for outbound ddos while other providers just leave it until all the bandwidth is used.

• linuxthefish said: I wonder if delimiter does any sort of data inspection/logging, people on LET have had their servers suspended for outbound ddos while other providers just leave it until all the bandwidth is used.

We actively police netflows to monitor for incoming and outgoing DoS/Floods/etc. Its standard practice any decent provider.

As for data inspection - no. Thats why we made a blanket ban on torrenting because unless we start doing DPI then there is no way for us to determine the difference between BTSync and a movie being downloaded.

Also remember there is a legal burden for any company embarking on data inspection, it means that if we are monitoring traffic then we have an obligation to ensure legal compliance. No company in their right mind wants that liability, being a 'common carrier' is the only status we want.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • Thanks for the input Mark. Sounds like it was probably some sort of one off situation.

• I looked at your provisioning records to try to understand the issue:

10/27/2015 20:23 Windows 2012R2 Datacentre edition install start

10/27/2015 20:41 Windows 2012R2 Datacentre edition install cancelled by user

10/27/2015 23:37 Windows 2008R2 Standard installer start

10/27/2015 23:56 Windows 2008R2 Standard install cancelled by user

10/31/2015 23:17 Windows 2008R2 Standard installer start

10/31/2015 23:18 Windows 2008R2 Standard install cancelled by user

How did you test with Windows 2008 when it was never installed?

Then there are a pile of failed installs where you tried to install a RAID1 image on a single disk server:

10/28/2015 20:09 Ubuntu 14.04 failed to install RAID1 profile on single disk server

10/26/2015 22:50 Xenserver 6.5 installer start

10/26/2015 22:57 Xenserver 6.5 installer cancelled by user

10/27/2015 22:28 Centos 7 failed to install because of the RAID controller on the BL460c (CCISS not supported)

10/29/2015 19:01 Debian Wheezy failed to install RAID1 profile on single disk server

10/29/2015 19:10 Centos 6 failed to install RAID0 profile on single disk server

10/29/2015 19:15 Debian Squeeze failed to install RAID1 profile on single disk server

10/29/2015 19:25 Debian Jessie installer start

10/29/2015 19:36 Debian Jessie installer cancelled by user

So at the time that you opened the ticket 'Repeat file corruption' (11/01/2015 19:03) you had an aborted installation of Windows 2008R2 (non-operational from what I can tell).

You were asked in response to that email for access to the server and also the URLs you were downloading but no response.

I don't understand how you had these issues when it looks like you had no OS installed on the system. How was the OS installed?

Thanked by 2Kris CFarence
  • MarkTurner said: I don't understand how you had these issues when it looks like you had no OS installed on the system. How was the OS installed?

It's still your fault!

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • linuxthefish said: It's still your fault!

Epic isn't it :)

• IshaqIshaq Member

Title edited & moved to help.

• The 2012 install failed. I ran the 2008 install 3 times and on the third try after sittting for about 3 hours its rebooted and ran. We ran the 2008 server for the remaining time in the 3 moth period. Your logs are inaccurate.

• propylene22 said: Your logs are inaccurate.

Each one of your provisioning requests is logged, along with the result.

Moving on then, I have now got your tickets, maybe you could fill in the blanks:

From you - posted on Sunday 1st November 2015 at 19:03:

Every time I download a large file like an ISO or zip[ for an appliaction or virtual machine the downloads are corrupted. I have seen this behavior across multiple locations and various distos so my feeling is that it must be the hardware or the network. Any Idea what is going on here?

From Delimiter - Posted on Sunday 1st November 2015 at 20:09 (1 hour and 6 minutes later):

This sounds more like a configuration problem on your server.

You have not given any information on the environment you have setup so I have nothing to base any recommendations on.

From you - Posted on Tuesday 3rd November 2015 at 20:02 (1 day 23 hours 53 minutes later):

I have set up various environments,using your provided isos. It doesn't matter how all large files received by the server are corrupted. I've tried server 2008, Fedora, ubuntu 14.04 and XEN. HTTP, SSH, FTP, transfers from basically any source result in corrupted files. I've not seen one MD5 or CRC pass yet. There is clearly something wrong with either the network connection or the storage volume.

From Delimiter - Posted on Tuesday 3rd November 2015 at 20:46 (44 minutes later):

Please provide:

1. Root access to the server

2. Detailed summary of the tests you have carried out with the complete command line so that the test can be reproduced.

No further information received from you.

So on 1st November you said you were having issues, an hour later one of my colleagues responded to you asking for more information.

Two days later you responded back saying that you had tried Windows Server 2008, Fedora (there was never a provisioning action made for this OS), Ubuntu 14.04 (never completed installation as you chose the wrong settings) and Xenserver which you cancelled 7 minutes after requesting the installation.

Then with this service 'affecting' issue you never responded back to your open support ticket requesting more information. So just left it in this alleged 'broken' state for all of November, December and January?

I am sorry but your ticket statements about installing all these operating systems is nonsense, your statements of data corruption due to a network issue is equally ridiculous and your lack of follow through so what you claimed was 'Every time I download a large file........are corrupted' doesn't make sense.

I am sure anyone being affected in a such a manner and having a willing support person offering to follow through on their complaint in such a prompt fashion would be an inducement to get resolution.

Thanked by 1ATHK